Cadets Suspend for 2024

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

How do we know your argument is in good faith?

You have accused more than one poster here of this, ignored all their responses to the contrary, and simply doubled/tripled/quadrupled down on the character attacks.

You deny that these costs are worth cutting, but you have not offered any alternate ideas for cost cutting.

You deflect by calling for more focus on the revenue side.  I have asked you 3 or 4 times for your ideas about revenue, with no response.

You disrupt conversation with name-calling and ageist bigotry directed at posters whose ages you do not even know.

Like I said before... deny, deflect and disrupt.

Yes I deny the costs are worth cutting, because they are not the problem and account for the smallest line items on a touring budget. I find it both suspicious and frustrating that the things that the vocal minority seem to hate the most are the things that people seem to want to cut first. You have no idea what is causing Cadets to fold, but I will bet you every penny I will ever make for the rest of my life it wasnt effing props and uniforms. 

I am not deflecting anything, you are moving the goal posts by making me solve the troubles of the entire activity for you to even listen to my argument. If I had those answers, I would be DCI CEO. NP boards have been struggling with this issue for years, you arent going to find the secret of revenue from me. 

Who I have I called names? I have used the term "dino" in the abstract, but never directed it an anyone in particular. I also clarified in another comment that I use the term to describe a mindset and not an age. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Again you are taking the smallest line item in the budget and saying it's the biggest problem, when the real issue is that you just don't like props and electronics and think that drum corps should be what it was 40 years ago.

Here’s the post that I originally responded to. I have no idea of the opinion of the poster this refers to

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

False. Again. I invited you to offer your ideas how to cut costs in the big budget areas. You did not. Rather, you continue to harp upon some perceived sleight about props. Do you have any suggestions how to cut costs or increase revenues?

The only ways to cut food fuel and housing costs is to have shorter tours with less shows. DCI has already shortened the tour by 2 weeks and fewer shows is detrimental rather than useful. We no longer have the amount of corps required to sustain any type of regional model and new corps are not going to appear out of nowhere to create that infrastructure. We either have to learn how to amend the current national tour model or shut down all together. 

I am not going to have all of the answers and to expect me to is the ultimate straw man. Corps such as BD, Crown, Colts, Music City, Bluecoats, BAC and Cavaliers have all created organizations that can withstand the current model and diversify revenue. Can every corps do what they do? No, but they are at least models to start the search. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Here’s the post that I originally responded to. I have no idea of the opinion of the poster this refers to

I dont know exactly the opinion of the original poster either, but when you make the smallest line item on the budget the biggest problem, my guess is pretty good. 

I started on this thread saying that the brain dead posts blaming props and costumes were coming and I was right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

It IS dying. It's BEEN dying since the 70s. Now it's death is really excellerating. I've been paying attention. Anyone who thinks this is isolated to just Vanguard or Cadets is in absolute ignorant bliss. We are at the end here. 

Exactly. This activity has seen negative growth for 40 years. DCI leadership has failed to turn this trend around and grow the activity. This activity was relevant in the '70s & '80s, with frequent media coverage and the championships broadcast on national PBS. DCI has failed and this once great activity is on life support. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I dont know exactly the opinion of the original poster either, but when you make the smallest line item on the budget the biggest problem, my guess is pretty good. 

I started on this thread saying that the brain dead posts blaming props and costumes were coming and I was right. 

I’m done here but what I see is whenever someone brings up costs of props or uniforms you start going off that they don’t like either. Can’t even say that those costs affect the corps budget which is a lousy way to discuss finances.
And I don’t remember that poster saying it was the biggest problem.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think you can be overspending AND be in the black at the same time. 

A bigger profit could help get organized for your future. 

so lets keep moving the goal posts to fit what you want and not what the organization would deem a successful season. 

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m done here but what I see is whenever someone brings up costs of props or uniforms you start going off that they don’t like either. Can’t even say that those costs affect the corps budget which is a lousy way to discuss finances.
And I don’t remember that poster saying it was the biggest problem.

I say that because props and uniforms are ALWAYS the first thing mentioned. When it is pointed out that they are the smallest part of the budget it doesn't matter, they should still be cut. 

Maybe I should ask them their opinion on them before I go off on them, but the people in question have not pushed back on my assumption. 

I remember we did a corporate gig with a smaller brassline when I was in Royal-Airs.  I can’t remember the company but it was a big one in the Chicago area.  I also don’t know the exact figure we were paid but I was told it was a large amount.  And we were a bunch of old geezers.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1