Cadets Suspend for 2024

59 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I dont know exactly the opinion of the original poster either, but when you make the smallest line item on the budget the biggest problem, my guess is pretty good. 

No one said that the smallest line item was the biggest problem.  But if it is the most solvable problem, it might be worth mentioning up front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cixelsyd said:

No one said that the smallest line item was the biggest problem.  But if it is the most solvable problem, it might be worth mentioning up front.

But cutting costumes and props is solving NOTHING which is my point all along. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well unless you have a large board with real world access to financial contacts that can grow revenue any corps will struggle and right now I’m only convinced 4 corps have that. 

and one wasn’t a G7 corps

Curious to know who you believe have that access.  BD, Boston and…?

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

I am not deflecting anything, you are moving the goal posts by making me solve the troubles of the entire activity for you to even listen to my argument. If I had those answers, I would be DCI CEO. NP boards have been struggling with this issue for years, you arent going to find the secret of revenue from me. 

Hold on a second.  You posted over and over that we should all be pushing for revenue-side solutions.  And you do not even have one suggestion?

I do not think there is a revenue-side solution to this.  And if you have nothing to offer to refute that, then it is time you stopped assuming that other people without revenue-side solutions are really just prop-hating dinos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But cutting costumes and props is solving NOTHING which is my point all along. 

Those MAKE money for the corps. They’re sold as fundraisers. Gear is given to the corps either for free or at a discount. Which is then sold to band at minimum for cost and usually for a profit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Hold on a second.  You posted over and over that we should all be pushing for revenue-side solutions.  And you do not even have one suggestion?

I do not think there is a revenue-side solution to this.  And if you have nothing to offer to refute that, then it is time you stopped assuming that other people without revenue-side solutions are really just prop-hating dinos.

I have made the suggestion to look at the corps who have diversified their revenue and start there. If there is no revenue side solution, then how do corps even exist? Why are some even thriving? 

Edited by ContraFart

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

You need a big enough and diverse enough board like Boston so no one is over worked 

Agree with you. While feasible, that is monumental task before you get there. It’s the goal but you need the special sauce to get there.  Right people, right time, lots of leadership and commitment (lot more than what people think it takes)

14 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

You posted this before I even got into the thread and all I did was predict posts about blaming props and costumes. 

I have said nothing about costumes being a cost problem.  The whole idea of single-season disposable costuming is at least cost-neutral, probably a demonstrable cost saving vs. maintaining traditional uniforms over the years, and definitely more practical for washing while on tour.  Corps can still choose costuming that looks uniform from year to year if they want; if they do not, that is simply a design choice with no cost implications.

I was also really commenting on what I have been seeing on Facebook and Reddit. 

I am not posting on Facebook or Reddit.  If you have issues with what is being posted there, say something there.  Do not conflate me with them.

8 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I have made the suggestion to look at the corps who have diversified their revenue and start there. If there is no revenue side solution, then how do corps even exist? Why are some even thriving? 

Charitable good fortune... like any other civilian drum corps that has ever existed.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, corpsman98 said:

This should reduce travel, food and housing expenses drastically. 

You still have to feed the members (usually four times a day), you still have to provide them housing, you still have to pay the bus company money for their vehicles and their drivers, whether the vehicle is moving at night or sitting in the parking lot collecting bird poop.

Meanwhile fewer performances would reduce the number of revenue generating events in the season (less performance money coming in, fewer opportunities to sell merch) without having a significant savings in the daily expenses of having a corps together. 

"Doing less" sounds good, but the math doesn't work, since it's really only revenue that would shrink, not expenses.

• Like 1