Cadets Suspend for 2024

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Hold on a second.  You posted over and over that we should all be pushing for revenue-side solutions.  And you do not even have one suggestion?

I do not think there is a revenue-side solution to this.  And if you have nothing to offer to refute that, then it is time you stopped assuming that other people without revenue-side solutions are really just prop-hating dinos.

I suggest that every corps cut whatever is needed in order to save 10% of their annual budget. For at least 10 years. 

After what they could invest in a revenus making business to support their own np. 

Yes, very long term. But how bd, scv and others  did bought those corps hall that now bring revenus in?

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

Those MAKE money for the corps. They’re sold as fundraisers. Gear is given to the corps either for free or at a discount. Which is then sold to band at minimum for cost and usually for a profit. 

For just a few select corps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Also remember reading a few posts saying that due to school, internships and/or cost they only have one season they can do corps. So make it worth their while or nothing.

And let’s face it, some parts of the country the nearest corps ain’t that close….

I had rook outs in open class. As well as when I marched in the 00s.  But I see more of them in this age.  They can only spend $5k plus flights for one season. So they’ll do what they can to make it happen. 

had I not had people I went to college with in the corps to share gas with, and our dues being one of the lowest in dci in the 90-00s era. I would have not marched my last few seasons.  I made several groups but couldn’t afford 1500 in fees plus travel every month. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

For just a few select corps

More than you think.  Open class excluded.  As long as you have a good relationship with your sales rep, and you manage expectations, you’ll do ok. 

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Over the years I’ve read posts that lot of members want to be in their “dream corps” or nothing. Reasons were if they were going to spend that amount of money or be a rook-out, then only being in their dream corps would be worth while. 

But this helps the case for DCI all age.  They can now march, not kill their accounts, not have to travel as far. And still get an Indy weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

We trade staff passes to each other when we leave tour as it is.  All corps are limited on capacity of who can be on tour when. And we all share our stipends. The hours a tech puts in amounts to barely a buck an hour over a season. So we add 30 staff to cover while each of us is away working our real jobs so the landlords don’t kick us out. Cause drum corps doesn’t pay our rent. And we don’t get more money, we end us sharing that stipend. So we often get less over a season. 

Yes corps have limited passes. Perhaps we can look if each get the right amount. I think world class is like 90? 

Of course we talk about our own experience here. I know what you say is true while what I say is also true. Then I see some budget with staff expenses at 750k, sometime more than a million. Not every corps pay the same and I suspect some tech get nothing while some writer, or head caption make a lot more. 

Edited by Old Guy

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, so you need context?  A little deja-vu from 11 years ago... 

Like I said, this is not the first time I have proposed other cost cutting ideas.  

You were wrong 11 years ago and you are wrong now. You are making the assumption that drum corps cannot afford the equipment when they most clearly can. Props are resold, equipment is resold. THEY ARE NOT THE ISSUE!!!!! Cutting costs around the margins really does nothing to improve the activity or member experience. You are treating a scratch on the head with a band aid when that persons leg has been chopped off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

But it is is every major sport. For the good of the sport. 

Every major sport is for profit. The NFL does not control concessions or parking or travel or facilities. The salary cap is collectively bargained with labor. 

20 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

But this helps the case for DCI all age.  They can now march, not kill their accounts, not have to travel as far. And still get an Indy weekend. 

Agree and hoping this opens the eyes for more younger people of possibility of gaining experience in an all age corps. During Jeff Reams time with my old corps it was kind of like a revolving door. Do all age, go to DCI corps and come back to the all age corps in some cases. In my day had at least one member go to Crossmen for a season before he aged out. I still remember “isn’t Cam marching this year?”. “He’s doing DCI this year” “COOL!!”

Edited by JimF-LowBari