Cadets Suspend for 2024

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Curious to know who you believe have that access.  BD, Boston and…?

Crown and Bloo. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Those MAKE money for the corps. They’re sold as fundraisers. Gear is given to the corps either for free or at a discount. Which is then sold to band at minimum for cost and usually for a profit. 

in some cases. or they still have a gacebook page asking someone to drive to Wyoming and give them a new oil based show theme home

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I was responding to a comment saying DCI should put a cap limit on how many staff a corps can have. 

There is no way dci can control how many staff 1000 miles away a corps have for a specific day. 

But they can limit how many passes each corps get for staff. 

then you may be forcing corps to have kids on the road without staff. or forced to pick up people that really shouldn't be teaching, but end up being babysitters

7 hours ago, TenHut said:

I was promoting a very similar model 10 years ago which would eliminate corps membership from outside of the region they line in. The current model of mostly out of state membership isn't sustainable. Corps need to recruit members and staff close to home. Make it a community activity again.

so some corps are literally blocked from getting any decent kind of talent just looking at the map. 

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree and hoping this opens the eyes for more younger people of possibility of gaining experience in an all age corps. During Jeff Reams time with my old corps it was kind of like a revolving door. Do all age, go to DCI corps and come back to the all age corps in some cases. In my day had at least one member go to Crossmen for a season before he aged out. I still remember “isn’t Cam marching this year?”. “He’s doing DCI this year” “COOL!!”

several members went to places like Bloo, Bones, Cadets...even had some for Surf in its early years. Madison here and there, BD.  i am sure i am missing a corps or two

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sad tonight. Maybe delayed grief.

The show that changed EVERYTHING for me and I believe, the activity. I still remember that tenor break in Concerto in F like I had first heard it yesterday. I first saw this show in Madison, Wisconsin at Drums On and I was in love. I never thought much about Garfield before then.  They certainly got my attention that night. Groundbreaking is a term overused in drum corps. This was legitimately groundbreaking.

if posting this is not permitted, I apologize. 

Yes! And those Slingerland "Cutaways" with Remo Pinstripes.  Marched a set of those in college a couple of years before we received our new drums; love their tone quality.  Thank you! 🙌 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you deny those costs lead to other costs in others of the balance sheet.

don't get me wrong...i'm not advocating props, electronics etc need cut. but they do require a seperate vehicle to haul...that leads to vehicle and fuel costs. it requires people to maintain/move etc....more sleeping space, which leads to more vehicles to haul and fuel, plus then food and necessitate the need for larger housing costs.

so while show design may suffer if cuts are made, there are budgetary concerns that aren't classified under show production.

Yes there are other costs. But my entire point is that if the 30k or so to add the props and additional vehicle are the difference between going on tour and folding, then maybe you shouldn't be going on tour. It's not the props and electronics that are making corps fold.