A follow up message from CA&E's Board Chairperson

I appreciate this response by the Board, but I guess I’m still a bit confused about why the corps had to take the season off. I understand that revenue is a problem, and one that it sounds like the board has been taking very seriously and is trying to find new ways to bring in revenue. But, I’m reading this as the corps put in place several cost budgeting policies (particularly with transportation) that you’ve now decided you don’t want to do anymore because it’s not a great experience. Overall though the corps isn’t in that much debt since it says that expenses equaled about what they were expected to be? 

IDK, this decision to not field for 2024 still seems a bit like an overreaction to me. Why not beg for however much money is needed to the dci world for donations? Im sure that tons of us would be willing to donate, I still remember the corps raised over a million dollars in 2021 for Maroon and Gold Day. Im sure we could match that now or more, look at the outpouring of support from us alumni online. I understand that further down the road something HAS to be done to bring in other revenue streams, but no revenue streams can come to a group that just no longer exists, what product will there be to show from 2024 for any business that might be able to help fund the corps? 

6 minutes ago, CadetDood said:

I appreciate this response by the Board, but I guess I’m still a bit confused about why the corps had to take the season off. I understand that revenue is a problem, and one that it sounds like the board has been taking very seriously and is trying to find new ways to bring in revenue. But, I’m reading this as the corps put in place several cost budgeting policies (particularly with transportation) that you’ve now decided you don’t want to do anymore because it’s not a great experience. Overall though the corps isn’t in that much debt since it says that expenses equaled about what they were expected to be? 

IDK, this decision to not field for 2024 still seems a bit like an overreaction to me. Why not beg for however much money is needed to the dci world for donations? Im sure that tons of us would be willing to donate, I still remember the corps raised over a million dollars in 2021 for Maroon and Gold Day. Im sure we could match that now or more, look at the outpouring of support from us alumni online. I understand that further down the road something HAS to be done to bring in other revenue streams, but no revenue streams can come to a group that just no longer exists, what product will there be to show from 2024 for any business that might be able to help fund the corps? 

I think they don’t want to barely squeeze by, or they don’t want to get to the point like SCV last year, or they don’t want to run out of money on tour.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, CadetDood said:

He stated that they just broke even with significant cuts throughout the season and the board doesn't feel those cuts led to the best experience for the members. So thinking of already not wanting to make all those cuts again, to continued rising costs, they suspended to avoid doing pretty bad damage by doing a tour. I don't think they are in a dire financial situation, I think this was done to prevent a dire financial situation. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

He stated that they just broke even with significant cuts throughout the season and the board doesn't feel those cuts led to the best experience for the members. So thinking of already not wanting to make all those cuts again, to continued rising costs, they suspended to avoid doing pretty bad damage by doing a tour. I don't think they are in a dire financial situation, I think this was done to prevent a dire financial situation. 

Plus it says that there are still bills to pay from 2023 season, & not enough reserved $ to pay them.  So a 2025 comeback may start from a negative financial position.   

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I agree and as a parent of a member, I appreciate the early notification.   My son had an incredible rookie experience last year and loves the staff, organization and the life long friends he made.  This was a difficult weekend for all of us, but especially for him.  We hope that the Cadets return in 2025, but recognize that it will be an uphill battle.  

Edited by DAYGO
  • Like 9

What is true for every industry, when economic conditions become unfavorable, it is the worst run organizations that fail first.

However one wants to rationalize it, however one wants to analyze it, the worst run ones are taken down by the laws of economics first. Whatever it is they are doing in terms of operation practices or business culture simply led to the wrong outcome.

Many will spew out what should have been done right, and arguments will fly back and forth, but all we know is that the boards and leaderships of these organizations have only proved one of the many wrongs ways to do things. They have not shown what right yet is.

So here we are again, just like the 80’s and SCV and Cadets are neck and neck jockeying for that honor.

Now……………

DCI is the “Indy Car 500” of the performing arts activity.

When I was marching there were 80+ corps of all sizes and divisions. What was called Open is now World, and what is now called Open was split between A-90 and A-60.

WGI didn’t exist back in “my day”. 10 years ago WGI didn’t even have as many different activities (now they have indoor winds).

WGI is the “NASCAR” of the performing arts activity.

That’s not to say Drum Corps will go entirely extinct. Somewhere out there is a horse and carriage business still making products for the Amish. When the automobile changed the environment the worst run business failed first, and those that didn’t change over production away from a horse related focus eventually fell themselves regardless of how well they were run. There are of course exceptions and the hold outs for the Amish still had a market.

What I do know is the last Drum Corps standing is probably going to have a Blue themed uniform.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CadetDood said:

I look at one common denominator with Cadets and SCV going inactive. Denise Bonfiglio leaving both organizations! Both corps issues were caused by several of years of prior mismanagement and POOR financial decisions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I think they don’t want to barely squeeze by, or they don’t want to get to the point like SCV last year, or they don’t want to run out of money on tour.

2022 was a financial disaster that almost resulted in Cadets not making it to Indy. 2023 was a continuation of the problem financially.

35 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

2022 was a financial disaster that almost resulted in Cadets not making it to Indy. 2023 was a continuation of the problem financially.

So did the move from Allentown to Erie during that period help or hinder the financial situation?   Or was it neutral?