SoA/DCI Lawsuit Update

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no. he was found to be not guilty. he followed school policy and told what he knew to the appropriate authorities. he left felt regret for not doing more, but legally, he followed all the rules. those he reported it to however....

This is one of those situations that angers me. This destroyed Paterno and I truly believe led to his death. 

So many people criticized him, but he was a military man, you tell your supervisor and you don’t jump the line. Plus it couldn’t have been a fun, comfortable experience for him. He probably wanted nothing to do with it and I guarantee there’s many many people who would’ve acted just the same. He did was he needed to. The rest of them failed the system. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the last year DCA was in Scranton i stopped at the hotel just up the hill from the outfield wall to visit a friend...and there she was. So, with a crowd around me, i walked up to introduce myself and ask her if she wanted to say anything to my face after all she'd said on RAMD....and she surried away. so all day at prelims, any time anyone from my group saw her, they'd tell her where my seats were, and she'd just scurry away.

I’m patient.  It will happen. 

karma-tea.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f360f7a84d0

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This is one of those situations that angers me. This destroyed Paterno and I truly believe led to his death. 

So many people criticized him, but he was a military man, you tell your supervisor and you jump the line. Plus it couldn’t have been a fun, comfortable experience for him. He probably wanted nothing to do with it and I guarantee there’s many many people who would’ve acted just the same. He did was he needed to. The rest of them failed the system. 

I agree with this.  Poor old Joe got caught in the cogs.  The university President certainly deserved the axe as did the AD.   But he followed the chain of command and got the ultimate punishment for it.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no. he was found to be not guilty. he followed school policy and told what he knew to the appropriate authorities. he left felt regret for not doing more, but legally, he followed all the rules. those he reported it to however....

He did the bare minimum.  Some of us would have gone to ‘the authorities’ if those were reported to did nothing.  

There were children being R’d.  If he had followed through he would be remembered far better.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further pontificating
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

He did the bare minimum.  Some of us would have gone to ‘the authorities’ if those were reported to did nothing.  

There were children being R’d.  If he had followed through he would be remembered far better.  

I always recommend bypassing the reporting mechanism of DCI and safesport and going right to the police.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Think that is one of the reasons why PA now has mandated reporting.

Supposedly Sandusky was banned from using PSU facilities but people still saw him there (did he still have keys?) and said nothing. How many times has a corps person said they saw a reported abuser working with other corps. (Trying to keep this on topic but as a local lot of the PSU details burn me)

Just a personal sore spot as reported possible security violation to my boss and nothing done. Went back to him later and found there was an ongoing investigation so don’t say anything. Yeah I did more than bare minimum and went back.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Think that is one of the reasons why PA now has laws that teachers, etc must report anything they see (forget the term).

Supposedly Sandusky was banned from using PSU facilities but people still saw him there (did he still have keys?) and said nothing. How many times has a corps person said they saw a reported abuser working with other corps. 🥲

The ED of DCI didn’t get bounced.  PSU did more than that.   

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I always recommend bypassing the reporting mechanism of DCI and safesport and going right to the police.   

Especially important to do this if it happens on tour.  Jurisdiction where offense happened is where it is prosecuted.  

That said - the PSU athletic facilities weren’t moving

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Especially important to do this if it happens on tour.  Jurisdiction where offense happened is where it is prosecuted.  

Sure.  But I don’t trust them to do the right thing either.

i feel guilty about some of the stuff I saw BITD. I just put my head down and didn’t rock the boat. There’s probably enough guilt to go around over the decades. 

• Thanks 2