The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think he was referring to GH suing Cadets over his pension.  That was happening at some point & I don’t recall any resolution posted here.  

i thought that was resolved long before YEA dissolved. if not, well....

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

i thought that was resolved long before YEA dissolved. if not, well....

Maybe it was.  I know it was an issue at one point- the new Cadets organization (whatever they were/are called) had a limited amount of $ & GH wanted a good part of that amount.  

19 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

I would like to see a National Ad go out to find all drum corps abuse victims, hear their stories because it would be a huge blow to the activity! 

I don't think that this post should be removed! Lets talk about what most of us have known for decades!

Why hide it now?

I agree. I think it would be very interesting to find out exactly what those running corps had tried to sweep under the rug over the years. 

It won't be long before all the Hopkins women  will be lining up....as they should.

If the current Cadets org ends up financially responsible for the torts of Hopkins,  they may be sued into oblivion. 

Not sure how I feel about this.

14 minutes ago, craiga said:

It won't be long before all the Hopkins women  will be lining up....as they should.

If the current Cadets org ends up financially responsible for the torts of Hopkins,  they may be sued into oblivion. 

Agree that GH victims deserve justice.  The problem is that I believe jurisdiction where assaults occurred is where lawsuit is filed.  And as some of it happened on tour, it may be hard to determine jurisdiction- i.e., what school were Cadets at some day in July 1986?   Plus, there are Statues of Limitations issues, again based on jurisdiction.  One reason the present lawsuit has happened was temporary extension of SoL in NJ as a result of MeToo.  But I think the window to file suit has closed.  If anyone has better info let me know.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

I would like to see a National Ad go out to find all drum corps abuse victims, hear their stories because it would be a huge blow to the activity! 

I don't think that this post should be removed! Lets talk about what most of us have known for decades!

Why hide it now?

Appreciating the sentiment here.

Respectfully, we may hide it cause it hurts to talk about it. Our we fear retaliation from any direction. Or we've tried, and orgs just want to callously turn our heartbreaking reports into their own teachable moments. Many fear that by stepping forward, they'll deal that serious blow to the activity you've mentioned.

Some of our reports implicate giant names in the activity.

I still encourage them to step forward, but never more than a mention. Because stepping forward without having a solid support system and a healthy outlook can put them in danger. (It's a sad,  lasting, adverse legacy of the original abuse for most of us.)

Besides, report to who and through what channel? Have a long list of entities that could do nothing for me... and I'm persistent. What about those who are much younger, with less training, work experience, etc?

Anyway, I've got plenty of stories, just no consent to share them. Some include Cadets. I'm honestly waiting as patiently as possible for more and more to step forward... cause the taboo of it is still too strong atm. It's important victim survivors caretake their own safety first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

i'm pretty sure those that wanted to go public did so 5 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm pretty sure those that wanted to go public did so 5 years ago. 

True, but that was specific to the criminal prosecution at that time.   The door is wide open to civil action, and if this particular case from 1982 results in the plaintiff and her attorneys hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more), get ready for the dam to open.  Money talks....both for plaintiffs and their attorneys. 

• Like 1