The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Have background checks eliminated abuse? No, nothing is fool proof. Have they reduced abuse? The theory is they keep potential predators away, however it is always the case that the background checks along with checking personal references and close supervision are necessary. The supervision is probably the most critical component. Any time you take a training to spot predators, the first thing often mentioned is that predators are usually expert manipulators.

Also, it is notoriously hard to measure prevention.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jimmyjames said:

I do not have to make it sound like anything. It is a fact. It happened. It took Boston 2 years to dump this person. Now, granted this was before the "hop crap" and the spirit situation. As already said, yes it is difficult to track "bad staffers" but when one organization contacts the other and the truth about why they were let go isn't disclosed. Then yes, they are part of the problem. 

Drum guy + member (timpanist) = bad, bad, bad

22 minutes ago, Algernon said:

Drum guy + member (timpanist) = bad, bad, bad

I do know that Boston has had a policy in place for several years now that even dating between a young staffers and marchers of legal age is not permitted while they are in the Corps . There has been at least one episode of a female 21 year old in the Percussion section that Chris Holland as Corps Director found a young percussion staffer was dating and immediately had both leave the Corps . 

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

I do know that Boston has had a policy in place for several years now that even dating between a young staffers and marchers of legal age is not permitted while they are in the Corps . There has been at least one episode of a female 21 year old in the Percussion section that Chris Holland as Corps Director found a young percussion staffer was dating and immediately had both leave the Corps . 

It was the caption head, not a young percussion staff member. At least it made room for the current perc head who, by all accounts, is a good guy

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

So disheartened by these recent posts.   How about DCI create a compliance group of about 5 people and have them develop mandatory reporting guidelines that each corps shall follow. And give them investigative authority.  If lack of oversight is the problem then create oversight. 

well then they'd have to spend money. money that would go to them. and we know how that usually turns out

4 hours ago, karuna said:

Maybe.  Please submit a DNA sample, fingerprints, retina scan, professional qualifications, resume with cover letter, background clearance, 200 personal references,  power of attorney and a $100000 application fee and send it to....

he's not applying for a mortgage LOL

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

That's one of the arguments to be decided in this particular arbitration / mediation.  In much bigger settings, USA Gymnastics and the Catholic Church could not get them separated.  And I assume that's also why this suit names the ten individuals it does separately as well. 

Mike

agreed. the corps tried to take that approach....the Cadets of today aren't the Cadets of the past. Except when you look at all the PR ( and show design) everything is about FHNSAB, maroon and gold, 1934 etc....so the judge said "nope. you're the Cadets or you're not the Cadets".

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So true.

There is another aspect of this that bites DCI in the rear.  The whole operating model of DCI is based on "haves" and "have-nots", "members" and "non-members".  Always has been.  We are down to 37 corps, and still DCI divides them by class, and further excludes several of the world-class from "membership".  How many times has someone slipped through that gaping crack because information is not shared between haves and have-nots, and vice-versa?

(Speaking of which, add all-age to the divisional communication network now.)

amazingly, in the last 5 years, All Age seems to have the fewest complaints at least that became public of any corner of the activity. As far back as the last year I taught, 2001,  several corps had rules in place about who could do what and where due to the age differences. I saw someone with another corps fired on the spot and made to find their own way home for giving someone underage a beer.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:00 AM, craiga said:

It won't be long before all the Hopkins women  will be lining up....as they should.

If the current Cadets org ends up financially responsible for the torts of Hopkins,  they may be sued into oblivion. 

Not sure how I feel about this.

I won't be surprised if women and men, who have been affected, come after ALL the personnel and corps that have allowed this to happen. 

On 11/13/2023 at 5:27 PM, DAYGO said:

Hate to ask, but what is your motivation here?  It sounds like it is to deal a "huge blow to the activity."  

Given the events that has taken place in many business, activities, corporations, CHURCHES, etc., I will not be surprised if these things lead to DCI's demise. Apparently A LOT of sexual assault has happened all over the place in the past  and too many people have not been held accountable for that. Drum corps is not immune to that, and all these people may have to pay for that. 

• Like 1