DCI Januals 2024

8 minutes ago, craiga said:

Plus, at this point, you going after Cadets is the very definition of beating a dead horse,  imo. 

well the time of death has yet to be publicly announced. then again Oregon Crusaders just kind of quietly faded away.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 5:40 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm taking a wait and see with the "new guy". So far he's been unimpressive in the keeping the drum corps kingdom informed of what's going on. Would it have killed anyone to put out statement after the Annual Meeting of your organization saying hey, I'm getting myself up to speed as quickly as possible on the challenges facing our activity, I'm meeting with XYZ regularly and will have more to say publicly in X days? 

In the impossible mission to lead those org, there is 56 hrs/day per person to be done 7/days a week. 

From the outside there is obvious things not being done. From the inside, you do what you can 16 hrs/day and go to sleep knowing it wasn’t enough. 

I wouldn’t trow a rock at the guy at this moment. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

In the impossible mission to lead those org, there is 56 hrs/day per person to be done 7/days a week. 

From the outside there is obvious things not being done. From the inside, you do what you can 16 hrs/day and go to sleep knowing it wasn’t enough. 

If it isn’t enough and you know it isn’t enough, then it is time to speak truth to power.   

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The Board of Directors 

There is no savior anywhere. It’s either you do your best (we all do) or you leave it to someone else. 

The fact is: in a business world, every time you sell your product, you make a profit. 

In the drum corps world, every time you sell your product (membership) you lost money on it. The more success you have (a bigger corps) the more in trouble you are (having to generate more revenues). 

At the top (165 kids), you then can chase better bus, better housing, better food, better staff, etc. The better experience you offer, the more money you need to find. 

some just play with what they have. Most work tirelessly to find more money, more training, more audition site, better everything…  that is why it is an endless job. That we all choose to do by ourself. 

The choice I do for myself, I can’t force others to make the same ones. You can’t force a board member to sell is house for his corps and retire from his job so he could work 24/7 for free for the corps. 

But you want to grow… you may not spend the time on what people from the outside believe you should do. You spend it on what you believe has to come first

Edited by Old Guy

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There is no savior anywhere. It’s either you do your best (we all do) or you leave it to someone else. 

The fact is: in a business world, every time you sell your product, you make a profit. 

In the drum corps world, every time you sell your product (membership) you lost money on it. The more success you have (a bigger corps) the more in trouble you are (having to generate more revenues). 

At the top (165 kids), you then can chase better bus, better housing, better food, better staff, etc. The better experience you offer, the more money you need to find. 

some just play with what they have. Most work tirelessly to find more money, more training, more audition site, better everything…  that is why it is an endless job. That we all choose to do by ourself. 

The choice I do for myself, I can’t force others to make the same ones. You can’t force a board member to sell is house for his corps and retire from his job so he could work 24/7 for free for the corps. 

But you want to grow… you may not spend the time on what people from the outside believe you should do. You spend it on what you believe has to come first

I guess I would see it differently.  As an outsider coming into the activity, I would likely see red flags (increased costs, flat or lower revenue due to fewer shows, legal actions, and maybe more) that had existed so long that for DCI they were just considered normal (NASA calls this the ‘normalization of deviance’, and it has led to fatal accidents in the past).

And it would be my duty to point these out to ‘The BoD / Corps’.  Otherwise, I’m not doing my job.  

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I guess I would see it differently.  As an outsider coming into the activity, I would likely see red flags (increased costs, flat or lower revenue due to fewer shows, legal actions, and maybe more) that had existed so long that for DCI they were just considered normal (NASA calls this the ‘normalization of deviance’, and it has led to fatal accidents in the past).

And it would be my duty to point these out to ‘The BoD / Corps’.  Otherwise, I’m not doing my job.  

Of course we all have a different perspective and situation. And a few line here cannot define or explain our total view on a subject. There is an infinite of aspects we can talk of. 

But I believe a corps is a house of card where if you change a piece or two, it may all become shaky faster than we think (even the big ones). 

The board knows. The board do their best. But no one sign on the board to give 10-20-30 hours a week. There is caution to be put if you don’t want to chase people away at that level too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Not throwing any rocks. I'm asking him to throw us a bone. 

31 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Not throwing any rocks. I'm asking him to throw us a bone. 

Totally understand. Not saying he shouldn’t. Just trying to explain may be « why » to bone is slow to come your/our way. 😅

• Like 1