A Great Article on The Cadets

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I don’t believe there is any coming back for Cadets.  No money now, no money coming, only money going for debts and huge legal bills.  Then the legal issues themselves on top of the cost of them.  All their assets are gone.  They would be starting from scratch.   Less than scratch actually. They need money and support.  Lots of it.  And the cavelry is not coming I’m afraid.

and if somehow a comeback is possible, Erie is not the place

6 hours ago, craiga said:

This is true, unfortunately.   SCV has millions of dollars with bingo continuing to generate substantial income.  The Cadets literally have no money, no assets, with multiple lawsuits from decades ago. They are now a revered memory.

well SCV has bingo revenue, just not profit

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It has to be an entirely different entity and identity. They cannot claim any of the traditions or the history of the cadets if there was a new corps created. That’s how the judge allowed this lawsuit to go against them. Sure they have a new non profit and new tax ID, but they still claim all the history and traditions of the organization. 

while he has allowed the suit to go on, the case has not yet been officially lost. if they lose, yes, that name is done

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

while he has allowed the suit to go on, the case has not yet been officially lost. if they lose, yes, that name is done

With the current times, there’s a 90% chance the Cadets lose this case. 

12 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It has to be an entirely different entity and identity. They cannot claim any of the traditions or the history of the cadets if there was a new corps created. That’s how the judge allowed this lawsuit to go against them. Sure they have a new non profit and new tax ID, but they still claim all the history and traditions of the organization. 

How far does that extend?  Do we all have to avoid naming a corps "Cadets" from now on?  If SCVC ever comes back, do they have to pick a different name?  Will too much maroon and gold get you swept up in a lawsuit?

At least this explains why corps now change all their costuming every year.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

How far does that extend?  Do we all have to avoid naming a corps "Cadets" from now on?  If SCVC ever comes back, do they have to pick a different name?  Will too much maroon and gold get you swept up in a lawsuit?

I think it was more because the organization claimed the traditions, history, and accolades of the organization named in the lawsuit originally. Do I think a corps in PA/NJ could be named “The Cadets” or “Holy Name Cadets”, etc etc., no. No corps will be able to have that make and make a successful claim that they are different. 

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Could we name them Stedac? (Motto: When they zag, we zig). 

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But with all the lawyer costs, even if they win, they lose.  

true. but for them, the name is everything. being able to keep the name could eventually lead to enough fundraising to get the band playing again.

the brand is everything. i mean we've all mentioned how they shoehorn the brand into the show year after year. if they are able to keep the brand without fear of issues based on this suit ( or others), there's always a slim chance.

5 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

With the current times, there’s a 90% chance the Cadets lose this case. 

i think 99%