A Great Article on The Cadets

That was the best of all possible responses. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Barneveld said:

You pretty much got it.

I'll just add it was 20-25 events  each year, requiring a minimum of 8-10 people. For 9+ years it was the same 4 or 5 people who worked everything and it was a constant struggle to fill the remaining spots. There were also financial considerations (due to slow sales and not meeting minimum staffing on many occasions).  It was no longer a viable fundraising option.

And it doesn’t help that there aren’t parents available to sign up for this, even if they wanted to, because the membership is national.  

I wonder how many WC members in 2023 lived within a 100-mile radius of where their Corps is based?  

9 hours ago, Barneveld said:

The corps ended the relationship for pretty much the reason LabMaster explained. Gillette Stadium still has a large portion of their concession stands staffed by non profits.

thats a plus for an NFL franchise

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Surprised you do now.  Are you not concerned about litigation?

only if it has the last name starting with B on it

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, HBD said:

I marched in Fantasia III, the corps was never sponsored by the Burger King Company. A local NJ franchisee hired the corps to play at a small amount of gigs for a few $ and free food. A few overzealous administrators decided to paint the BK logo on the back door of the truck and announce we were sponsored by BK. One day by chance a corporate executive from the Burger King company saw the truck, found the owners and promptly contacted the administration to immediately remove the logo and cease and desist any claim of sponsorship with the BK company, that was in 1979, the corps folded in 1983.

The corps ran a successful bingo game every week, ran 2 large Christmas tree lots every holiday, fundraised and marched many parade's and ran a successful DCE show every June to raise money. It was member retention that did the corps in. 
You need to check your sources on the history of Fantasia III since you couldn’t be farther from the truth.

sorry

Thank you. No need to apologize to me. The drift from contemporary Drum Corps World articles at the time about the corps stated what I stated. 

The point is still, overzealous corps administration still caused serious issues. Did they indirectly cause issues with retention, or was it simply that trying to keep kids from migrating to the Crossmen and Cadets was too much?

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And it doesn’t help that there aren’t parents available to sign up for this, even if they wanted to, because the membership is national.  

I wonder how many WC members in 2023 lived within a 100-mile radius of where their Corps is based?  

There was an article linked here a couple of years ago from the Casper, WY newspaper about what a big deal it was that a local person made it into the Troopers. Case in point.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

true story....my senior year in HS, our drill designer was a Boston alum. when he would count stuff off, he never said 27. so i asked him and he told me. so i of course told the band and we yelled it.

then in our closer, we had a slow turning front, and for the last day of camp, i got the band to sing Danny Boy while we did the drill.

he eventually forgave me, and we even marched together later. and now he's a Lutheran Pastor

He was a load of laughs to march with in '84, and an all-around good guy. 

17 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Might have been getting a solid number of volunteers each game and game schedule played a part.  There was a minimum requirement of people needed to be in the concession stand. The games could be at 1pm, 4pm or 7pm and you had to be in the stand 3 hours before game time and wound be there an hour after the game .  Then be stuck in traffic. Made for a long hard day.   Volunteers are the lifeblood of corps and corps support functions.  Things need to be easy for most volunteers to devote a lot of time on a regular basis.

Many volunteers end up feeling used and taken advantage of if not managed carefully. I can think of family situations where I was appalled and upset with what I was observing.

10 minutes ago, BigW said:

There was an article linked here a couple of years ago from the Casper, WY newspaper about what a big deal it was that a local person made it into the Troopers. Case in point.

I watched the Cavaliers Lisle show on Flo and they showed the ageout ceremony.  There was one from Aurora and one from Champaign.  That was it and there were a lot of ageouts.