Ten Year Anniversary Of Felliniesque

33 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I don't remember it getting any love LMAO. 

Besides during that 2011 season, I was too busy protecting the western front for us BD fans ensuring we didn't get out-flanked by the ABBD crowd lol. So you may be correct. 

the music chosen wasn't exactly stuff i'd choose to listen to, but it was presented in a more flowing way...like complete thoughts/passages than they had done since Godfather, and they did it in a way that got some old school BD vibe. but the whole building of the house led to a zillion Extreme Home makeover okes ( probably half by me) and it made everything look way too cluttered.

and that Cadets that summer had Jeff's masterpiece visually and Crown channeled their inner ELP had shows more loved to the general populace. but i don't remember nearly as much dislike as for the 3 years prior and 2 after

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:55 PM, Chief Guns said:

I don't remember it getting any love LMAO. 

Besides during that 2011 season, I was too busy protecting the western front for us BD fans ensuring we didn't get out-flanked by the ABBD crowd lol. So you may be correct. 

Everyone's perspective will be different too. From my vantage point Blue Devils got quite a bit of love from the crowd all three nights in 2011. Visually they were clean and crisp but perhaps the visuals just didn't add up to what the music was giving us. They were honestly my 3rd favorite corps of each night after Cadets and Crown. I loved the 2011 music book and still do. Love that brass line despite them getting a somewhat (by BD standards) lower score than what I thought they would have had. But the sound and blend of that brass line was fantastic. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 11:23 PM, Chief Guns said:

BD fatigue is probably top five biggest reasons for the hatred they receive. 

One thing to take note of is the popularity of the show. DCI fans tend to go with their heart. In recent years (2014, 15, 17, 19, 22, 23 - their last 6 titles) Blue Devils have generally been more positively received...even with their many DCI championships. So it isn't always the fatigue factor. 

If the show is popular and entertaining and still performed to that unmistakeable level of BD polish you will often here people say things like "boy I'd like corps X to have a shot this year but BD is really good and I love the show."  I think that describes Blue Devils over the past 7 or 8 competitive seasons. 

The dislike for BD from 2008 - 2013 had more to do with the shows being unconvential, contemporary, risky, and certainly not as popular with the audience (except for 2011 from a musical standpoint). Even when people used the BD fatigue excuse (and maybe some of that was true) I always felt it had more to do with the shows.

I give BD credit. From 2008 to 2013 they pulled off some extremely difficult and risky concepts. With the exception of 2011 the rest of those shows felt like works for a museum where professors sit around smoking their pipes and cigars discussing the intracacies of music theory and visual art. This is especially true with 2008, 2010, and 2012-2013. I liked them but to varying degrees. I knew most DCI fans would find them odd...hence the golf claps they received over the summer. 

So was it really fatigue? DId people want other corps to win because BD wins a lot? As you said that is always going to be the case to some extent because we love to see Dynasties fall. Whether it's the Celtics, Lakers, Patriots, Yankees, etc. Fans do like variety.  But I think 2008-2013 simply had a lot of people not connecting with the shows. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

One thing to take note of is the popularity of the show. DCI fans tend to go with their heart. In recent years (2014, 15, 17, 19, 22, 23 - their last 6 titles) Blue Devils have generally been more positively received...even with their many DCI championships. So it isn't always the fatigue factor. 

If the show is popular and entertaining and still performed to that unmistakeable level of BD polish you will often here people say things like "boy I'd like corps X to have a shot this year but BD is really good and I love the show."  I think that describes Blue Devils over the past 7 or 8 competitive seasons. 

The dislike for BD from 2008 - 2013 had more to do with the shows being unconvential, contemporary, risky, and certainly not as popular with the audience (except for 2011 from a musical standpoint). Even when people used the BD fatigue excuse (and maybe some of that was true) I always felt it had more to do with the shows.

I give BD credit. From 2008 to 2013 they pulled off some extremely difficult and risky concepts. With the exception of 2011 the rest of those shows felt like works for a museum where professors sit around smoking their pipes and cigars discussing the intracacies of music theory and visual art. This is especially true with 2008, 2010, and 2012-2013. I liked them but to varying degrees. I knew most DCI fans would find them odd...hence the golf claps they received over the summer. 

So was it really fatigue? DId people want other corps to win because BD wins a lot? As you said that is always going to be the case to some extent because we love to see Dynasties fall. Whether it's the Celtics, Lakers, Patriots, Yankees, etc. Fans do like variety.  But I think 2008-2013 simply had a lot of people not connecting with the shows. 

No matter the topic, we can always depend on JWillis to spit those hard facts! Great post!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever it was, I’m just feeling happy and lucky to be in the group that did connect with 2008-2013!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jaylogan said:

Whatever it was, I’m just feeling happy and lucky to be in the group that did connect with 2008-2013!

Same here! Just watched 1930 and Cabaret Voltaire last night. Great shows. 

That BD drumline in 2009, holy smokes they were cooking!

They definitely had something to prove after the nightmare in 08.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2024 at 12:48 PM, jwillis35 said:

Sure more people connected with recent shows, but I think their last 4 or 5 titles should have gone to someone else. 15 should have 100% gone to crown, 19, 22 and maybe 23 should have gone to the Bluecoats. There is major BD fatigue and that is because again and again shows that more people like are losing to BD.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Sure more people connected with recent shows, but I think their last 4 or 5 titles should have gone to someone else. 15 should have 100% gone to crown, 19, 22 and maybe 23 should have gone to the Bluecoats. There is major BD fatigue and that is because again and again shows that more people like are losing to BD.

Our first Shoulda Woulda Coulda comment of 2024.

And if Crown would have executed on finals night in 2015, maybe they would have won, but they didn't. But BD executed. And they won fair and square. No excuses.

And over the last nine years, we've even had some well respected Crown Honks on this forum say Crown fell flat on finals night and didnt rise to the occasion that they are capable of.

But we all know where you stand when it comes to BD. So this is no surprise. 

• Like 3

15...19....toss up. the others no doubt.

• Like 2

So BD fatigue is not a thing? Jeff is right that you can call 15 and 19 toss ups (I would put 22 in there too) but when one corps wins ALL the toss ups, people get tired of it. 

Edited by ContraFart