Cadets and bankruptcy

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yeesh. That statement wasn't about you and neither is this whole situation. It was a clarifying statement regarding what you said. You call call it scorched earth if you like, but it's completely aligned with the clarity provided by international safe sport research, and research regarding institutional whistleblowing/retaliation.

Perhaps don't take what I say so personally when I'm not explicitly implicating you. I get that tensions and emotions are high here, but those that are most-immediately important are those of victims. Especially those that are publicly known, taking additional hits of retraumatization and victim blaming on DCP and other socials. If you are an unnamed victim in this, I truly lament that, especially if you are taking fire behind the scenes. That's still not the same as taking public fire though.

That said, it's clear countless elders in this activity have not known, or done appropriate professional development, to neutrally support reporters of abuse and whistleblowers. Too many clearly still don't, to the detriment of Cadets alum and members/staff/alum of other corps. Again, I'm intentionally referring to the activity as a whole here. There are countless other examples that have nothing to do with you that I'm referring to here, of which I'm assuming you're aware to some degree.

on one of the zillion facebook pages where this has been discussed today, one of the people that claimed to write the press release seemed quite pleased with the wording. i called them out on the victim shaming tone, and was met with silence

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, camel lips said:

I mean at this point for them what does it matter really? They are bitter and sour and taking their ball and going home and at this point really don't care one way or the other who they offend. Its done and over for them and they are not coming back from it. 

One would think they would consider the victims in this and consider the future they have professionally moving forward with other organizations but in the moment that does not always translate when you are so passionate about what you have spent years pouring your life into to. Perhaps that was not the intent but it is what it is I suppose. 

someone in Erie on i think DrumCorps Coffee Shop claimed to have helped craft the statement and seemed quite pleased with it.

knowing that individual, i can't say i'm surprised he would be. a one note samba kinda guy

Edited by Jeff Ream

4 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

The Cadets(RIP) will ultimately be the organization associated with what goes wrong when sexual abuse/perversion etc. goes unreported and normalized..I can only imagine how lucky some feel today that they've escaped detection in other corps where this behavior was also existent..God bless the child..PEACE

well Spirit still has their issue out there

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRacer said:

We don’t know and that is the plaintiff’s business. However, having stood in that person’s shoes when I was 12 years old outlining to detectives in awful detail what took place, then having the perp (a martial arts instructor) show up at my front door several months afterward unannounced and relive those “not at all charming memories” I can say there are occasions where you want the person or party responsible DEAD. It’s been almost 50 years, and I am totally okay with the fact that that person is DEAD. Eff forgiveness. 

“Sometimes you don’t have enough rocks.” —- Forrest Gump

yeah forgiveness sometimes can only go so far. and i'm sorry that happened to you

3 hours ago, camel lips said:

Its what is done in the corporate world . They hope to lower the damages at trial by demonstrating to the courts that they separated themselves from the employee that instigated the lawsuit. In this case DCI separates itself from The Cadets demonstrating to the courts that they are no long affiliated with The Cadets and no longer condone that behavior and hope to get off with a slap on the wrist. 

plus they can point to putting Cadets on super secret probation back in 18

3 hours ago, Icer said:

This is oversimplification to the point of intellectual dishonesty. From 1982 to 2017, the only thing that mattered to pretty much the entire Cadets community was whether the corps was winning, and to a lesser extent, solvent. If the winning had continued, it's entirely possible that things would have remained hidden for an indefinite period (with ongoing suffering by the victims). Starting in 2015, both of the aforementioned indicators began pointing down. 100% of the negative chatter in this and related venues were focused on personality and results, not criminal misconduct. As we know, in January 2018 the ground shifted, first quietly and then publicly. Any possibility of preventing a meltdown was undermined by a combination of lack of experience, legal/contractual obstacles, and one or more bad actors. In the end, everyone lost, starting with the victims but with a wide circle of collateral damage as well. I haven't decided yet whether to tell what I know - it will depend on whether any good could come of doing so. The reporter who broke the story offered me an outlet at the time, but I decided I wanted to be done with the whole disgusting mess. However, suffice it to say that the sexual misconduct was only part of the scandal.

if they werent lapdogs, they would have fired him immediately when the story broke 6 years ago, as opposed to the resignation approach that led to DCI taking a much harder stand than they wanted to.

and i actually know one of them, and he said they pretty much rubber stamped everything he presented.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, camel lips said:

Makes me wonder how he squirmed his way into DCA and how he stayed in DCA for as long as he did with Cadets2 ? We will probably never know the details of that. 

well, DCA needed corps. and he wasn't the full time guy at C2, there was always someone else representing them. the few times he did get in the board room, it didn't go well.....for him

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Someone yesterday that the Cadets have $13 Million in the bank. Is this true? If so, who gets this money?

if they had that in the bank, things would be a lot different

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

on one of the zillion facebook pages where this has been discussed today, one of the people that claimed to write the press release seemed quite pleased with the wording. i called them out on the victim shaming tone, and was met with silence

Thank you for calling it out. Many redditors are doing the same. It must be called out in all of its many manifestations; I'm flummoxed and frustrated by the sheer number of people still don't realize they do this and how it only feeds bad actors, enablers, and flying monkeys. Either that, or they realize they're doing it (i.e. flying monkeys.)

Also, glad I'm not on other socials. 🤮

• Like 2