Looking Back - Zingali & the Tick System's Removal

24 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

"Built like a Winnebago"! Adding that to my repertoire 😂

Lol. Bro, this guy was massive! When he came around the temperature dropped 20 degrees, because he blocked out the sun lol. 

He wasn't a Drill Instructor, but he was one of the Cadre that "Greets" you when you first arrive at boot camp on the bus. 

My bus pulled up, and immediately the Cadre start yelling and screaming for us to get off the bus and causing mass chaos, the Winnebago Chief started rocking the bus from the outside, almost tipped it over......by himself.

You weren't laughing in his face. I don't care how rebellious of a teenager you were LMAO. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

When I was in high school, I thought and said the same thing, that I would laugh if some "military dude" yelled at me. 

Until I went to boot camp and this Chief who was built like a Winnebago got in my face. 

I did a lot of stuff......laughing wasn't one of them. 

To be fair, probably less amusing in the actual military than in a drum corps inspection. What with one of them being the military and the other being band.

Edited by ftwdrummer

14 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

To be fair, probably less amusing in the actual military than in a drum corps inspection. What with one of them being the military and the other being band.

I get that. And you are right. 

20 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

You weren't laughing in his face. I don't care how rebellious of a teenager you were LMAO. 

I couldn't help laughing the first time a DI got in my face and screamed.  Once.  Never happened again when 3 more of them seemed to surround me like f'ing dementors in the blink of an eye.  I think it was because I grew up with generations of military in my family and they all told me that drill instructors/sergeants were just playing a role.  Nobody outside of Dickens novels is that much of a caricature and that was my reaction the first time.  But yeah, when 4 of them were surrounding me, "accidentally" bumping into me and pushing me around, I got over the laughing thing pronto.  

And I did end up having 1 DI out of 5 who was indeed a caricature.  Just a nasty little guy who liked having power over others.  The other DI's did their best to protect us from him in their own subtle ways.  

Back to high school marching band inspection back in the day, if anybody forgot black socks before parade inspection, our band director spray painted our ankles and feet black.  Different times.  

And @happycomposer, I'm hoping you'll keep us updated about your findings. I've always been curious about this as well but really didn't even know where to begin. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lance said:

I couldn't help laughing the first time a DI got in my face and screamed.  Once.  Never happened again when 3 more of them seemed to surround me like f'ing dementors in the blink of an eye.  I think it was because I grew up with generations of military in my family and they all told me that drill instructors/sergeants were just playing a role.  Nobody outside of Dickens novels is that much of a caricature and that was my reaction the first time.  But yeah, when 4 of them were surrounding me, "accidentally" bumping into me and pushing me around, I got over the laughing thing pronto.  

And I did end up having 1 DI out of 5 who was indeed a caricature.  Just a nasty little guy who liked having power over others.  The other DI's did their best to protect us from him in their own subtle ways.  

Back to high school marching band inspection back in the day, if anybody forgot black socks before parade inspection, our band director spray painted our ankles and feet black.  Different times.  

And @happycomposer, I'm hoping you'll keep us updated about your findings. I've always been curious about this as well but really didn't even know where to begin. 

Jim once laughed at what a DI was saying to another Marine and he asked if something was funny.  Jim said “Funny as hell, sir!”  He ended up doing push-ups.

He has a few funny stories from the Marine Corps. He worked in avionics and one day a REO griped the deceptive electronic countermeasures unit and said it didn’t work in the O.F.F. Position. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

For high school, we had to have all white shoes for summer parade (white shorts, the years orange band T shirt, and specific calf high socks that we bought from the school.  

Fall uniform was black shoes of our own, must be all black with high black socks. 

Often the spray paint was pulled out to ensure "all one color" much to the annoyance of parents on a budget trying to balance kids' fashion desires with a need for marching band shoes.   [waves]

I became proficient in using tape well enough and picking the most bland shoes I could.  So my shoe game was terribly dull until college.  When I promptly got the loudest most colorful running shoes I could.

My senior year though we had new uniforms with white pants and white shoes that were uniform marching shoes, so that at least alleviated the shoe budget for some families

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lance said:

There was a friend at the Bucs in the early 80's who forgot his pants. They fashioned a pair of pants out of Hefty bags and electrical taped it to him. Luckily they had those long blue coats at the time down to just above the ankles, and no one noticed during the performance.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 4:40 PM, waliman4444 said:

My corps director got so ###### off at the results of our inspection that he pulled us out of the competition and had the buses take us to another show later that day...It apparently paid more than the first ...The rumor was that the circuit we were a part of thought we had gotten too big for our britches so the only way they could screw us was to do it at inspection(Yankee circuit 1966)...We hadn't lost there in two years at the time and effectively gave away our title...lol..C'est la vie..peace

That's not the first time where I've heard the feeling that the inspections were being used to tilt the playing field.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

For high school, we had to have all white shoes for summer parade (white shorts, the years orange band T shirt, and specific calf high socks that we bought from the school.  

Fall uniform was black shoes of our own, must be all black with high black socks. 

Often the spray paint was pulled out to ensure "all one color" much to the annoyance of parents on a budget trying to balance kids' fashion desires with a need for marching band shoes.   [waves]

I became proficient in using tape well enough and picking the most bland shoes I could.  So my shoe game was terribly dull until college.  When I promptly got the loudest most colorful running shoes I could.

My senior year though we had new uniforms with white pants and white shoes that were uniform marching shoes, so that at least alleviated the shoe budget for some families

I forgot my black shoes once in Kilties and we put black electric tape over my sneakers.  We didn’t have to do the entire shoe because we wore spats.