Most under rated Brass

When I marched in the 70's with the Blue Stars, one group that seemed to always catch my ear was the Emerald Knights from Iowa. They always seemed to have some great lead soprano's and I would think to myself, "why don't they come to La Crosse and march with a top 12 corps?"

Then nine Emerald Knight members did come up to LaCrosse to march in 1979 and you took the summer off!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said that, (I feel better now :rolleyes: ) my unbiased pick would be the General Butler Vagabonds, 1975. We beat Madison in M.A. at the AIO that year.

I remember that.

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Aaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

'73 Commodores - vintage Ott; Jim's arrangements and Bonnie's solos.  The precursor of the "Blue Devil Sound".

A- frigg'n - men to that!!!! In fact I grew up with the Commodores and they always rocked!!

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

hey fellas and ladies i may be a spring chicken but through the tapes that i have heard/seen i say 88 VK and 80 Bridgemen have to have rocked my socks right off.. i wish i was born in the 70's to be able to have marched in one of those hornlines/

i wish i was born in the 70's to be able to have marched in one of those hornlines/

Naw, polyester leisure suits, disco, Nixon, it was alright. Of course towards the end it picked up - punk rock!!!!

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kningsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

78 and 79 Blue Stars. Definitely under appreciated. Think they were 4th in horns in 79. The most impressive thing about Blue Stars was that the corps only came together in May for the first time and lots of kids came into the corps not knowing how to play or read music. By the end of the summer they were a top notch horn line every year. Says a lot for the staff too.

Guardsmen 79, 80 just like Chuck said. I prefer 79 a bit more. The definitive version of TOS.

Bridgemen '78 just like Lancer Lady. Monster hornline that always seems to get lost in the mix.

VK 88, take a listen to those sops in Zorba.

27 in 81 had some the prettiest solo work I have ever heard.

...and for the really, truly obscure crowd...

See if you can find a recording of Arbella(all-girl) circa 79-80 playing Evergreen. not a tough arrangement but very nice sound.

Here are two for me:

Ryders--1988 Could wail with the best of them--Ending of the show was

excellent (especially on the video where the camera zooms to a horn guy screaming his head off as they put their horns down)

Regiment--2001--The ending of Festive Overture was one of the best that year.

What a push at the end!! I compare it to 2003/1993/1990/1986/1984

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

I thought of another one! :whistle:

Madison Scouts 1985, the year they did "Rhapsody in Blue"...ooooooooohhhh the big piano! :ph34r: