Most under rated Brass

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90 bluecoats,  without the drumline dragging tempos that hornline kicked butt, and playing Duke Ellington charts wasn't easy, although they made it sound easy

I resemble that remark!

And holy crap were they ever LOUD! Yet, they pulled off "Got it Bad..." with such a soft touch.

Too bad the only 'coats hornline mentioned here was mentioned by a 'coat. Guess that just proves how overlooked they really are.

Here's one that you won't find on any dvd or cd. If you didn't see 'em you really missed something....

1990 Academie Musicale

78 and 79 Blue Stars.  Definitely under appreciated.  Think they were 4th in horns in 79.  The most impressive thing about Blue Stars was that the corps only came together in May for the first time and lots of kids came into the corps not knowing how to play or read music.  By the end of the summer they were a top notch horn line every year.  Says a lot for the staff too.

:whistle:

'78 Blah Stars!!! What a show! Their show in Denver was the hype show of the night, maybe w/ the exception of Bridgemen. We were just blown away at how well they performed. One MBI alum, Scott Streich was in the lead sop line that year, and we kidded him about playing Malaga and Hava Nagila in the same show.

I want to get that on CD or DVD.

Pat

:ph34r:

Here's one that you won't find on any dvd or cd.  If you didn't see 'em you really missed something....

1990 Academie Musicale

What a year in for them. They win the Div. III title/Brass/Guard and then finish 16th in Brass at Quarterfinals. I saw them at several shows that year. Excellent corps!!

Go Blue Academie Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

• 1 year later...
And I'll even add '87 and '88 Northern Aurora

Thanks for the kind words. I was an alumn of those two years. I do believe 88 was a very strong line for it's size, especially after the bus crash. However, pound for pound, man for wo/man ........ 86 was the strongest hornline I ever played in. Sure it was only 20 horns ... but those were the best players I've evern been around. Yes I did march Open class .. and if you check my resume` .. I won a ring. So what does that tell you?

Here are two for me:

Ryders--1988 Could wail with the best of them--Ending of the show was

excellent (especially on the video where the camera zooms to a horn guy screaming his head off as they put their horns down)

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

That mello player would be Tim Kviz...SkyryderFMM on DCP.

BTW..if I'm not mistaken, we are now in the 2nd generation of the Kviz family marching..his daughter was a rookie in the Blue Stars this summer.

That mello player would be Tim Kviz...SkyryderFMM on DCP.

BTW..if I'm not mistaken, we are now in the 2nd generation of the Kviz family marching..his daughter was a rookie in the Blue Stars this summer.

yep. thats tim in the video. and next to him is j.d. shaw. great memories of that year. B)