Most under rated Brass

That mello player would be Tim Kviz...SkyryderFMM on DCP.

BTW..if I'm not mistaken, we are now in the 2nd generation of the Kviz family marching..his daughter was a rookie in the Blue Stars this summer.

Yep, that was me. JD Shaw and I were wailing at the end there - we had the highest notes in the entire line (a third above the lead sops IIRC). Now you should have seen the two of us after Semi-Finals. That was undoubtedly our BEST performance, and the two of us would completely let loose when the show was really on. Semis was no exception.

And yes, my daughter was a rookie last year with Blue Stars, and is returning this year as well.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1989 Star of Indiana....

I'd never consider Argonne underrated, but I guess often forgotten. An absolutely vital horn program in the development of the activity, esp. considering, as I've said before, thaeir instruments were vintage 60s and 70s valve-rotor horns made out of postage stamp hinges and old National Geographics.

84 Bridgemen

thanks that was by far the best hornline I ever marched in... well we really couldn't march (that was the big problem) but it was probabby the best line of the 80's for us after 1980 that is...

Oh and here is one.. 1980 Long Island Kingsmen... 40 sumpin horns with a very nice sound.. they beat many of the bigger horn lines out there and had an amazing amount of talent...

that corps was poised to jump to finals by 1981 or 82... but as all good things go :( Just look up and down the east coast in 1981 and there was Kingsmen in every lead line on the east coast.

Ok so here are my picks which I know alot of people will disagree with:

85 Suncoast Sound (Gotta respect "The Lick")

86 Star of Indiana (All those Contras ...and of course the Mellophones were insane)

05 Phantom (Was I the only one who heard those Sops..I mean trumpets and go WOW :blink: )

82 Sky Ryders (what a friggin Hornline)

85 Garfield Cadets ( hard for me to admit... but WoW what a hornline)

81 and 82 Phantom Regiment ( I mean come on were talking Spartacus here. And of course Phantom kick ### with that show)

and finally

85 Blue Devils (awesome hornline)

there those are my picks...now let the disagreements begin.

Ok so here are my picks which I know alot of people will disagree with:

85 Suncoast Sound (Gotta respect "The Lick")

86 Star of Indiana (All those Contras ...and of course the Mellophones were insane)

05 Phantom (Was I the only one who heard those Sops..I mean trumpets and go WOW :blink: )

82 Sky Ryders (what a friggin Hornline)

85 Garfield Cadets ( hard for me to admit... but WoW what a hornline)

81 and 82 Phantom Regiment ( I mean come on were talking Spartacus here. And of course Phantom kick ### with that show)

and finally

85 Blue Devils (awesome hornline)

there those are my picks...now let the disagreements begin.

Not many disagreements by me that you listed great brass lines. Nitpicking, I will say Star '86 had a great overall sound at high volume, and are a fun listen, but I don't think back on them as having been under rated. '85 Garfield attempted some extremely difficult stuff and did most of it very well, but for some reason they don't stick out as being under rated. The other choices I concur with 100%. Always thought the '85 Devils brass did not get enough props, mostly due to the closer "not fitting" with the previous musical selections - but that has nothing to do with talent and execution but with programming. '82 Regiment was wicked talented with a glorous sound. '85 Suncoast - Yes! And while the Sky Ryders' strength in '82 was horns, they still do not get the props they deserve.

I'd never consider Argonne underrated, but I guess often forgotten. An absolutely vital horn program in the development of the activity, esp. considering, as I've said before, thaeir instruments were vintage 60s and 70s valve-rotor horns made out of postage stamp hinges and old National Geographics.

Thanks for remembering! A person would have to be pushing 50 to have heard our early '70s hornlines in person. Here is some additional info on the program if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=5...b9-6e2478272910

Jeff Yeager

Argonne

'67-'74

...Has got to be the Velvet Knights!

Ohh yea sure they're not the high brass winners but man what a hornline!!! ^OO^

:luke:

I'm glad somebody bumped this recently! I remember wanting to agree with the first poster 3 years ago!!

I would agree that VK had underrated brass lines, especially in '88 and '92. The corps is always remembered for the crazy stuff, but if you listen to '92 in particular, there was some fantastic playing. With the exception of the opener, that was a show built largely around classical music - a very difficult book performed very well.

94 Magic

82 Phantom should've won brass

90 XMen

00 Scouts

06 Spirit

88 L'Insolite

96 Magic

Madison 80 was an excellent hornline. Not sure if they were under rated, but worth a listen. Some others that come to mind:

John Simpson's Sky Ryder lines (early 80s)

Suncoast in the mid-80s

Dave Tippett's work with Spokane Rennaissance

Argonauts 75

Tim Salzman's Guardsmen lines (79-80)

Dave Carico's VK lines of the late 80's

Bayonne 1980

And Valley Fever 84!!!!

^0^