Freelancers

Whoa whoa whoa guys... not talking about putting a corps on the field, just talking about a reunion and a couple of days of activities.

No playing, just beer drinking, hyping, hanging with old friends, some good eats, and some West Coast drum corps!

Sounds a lot easier than putting a corps on the field, eh?

Hahaa! That sounds much better. I misread your post. Oops! I'm still up for playing tho. How about a little Cadillac or Bellavia--or even--Even Now? Then the beer ^0^

Nice to see you here, Dutch!

And how about ol' Grogan coming out of nowhere!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaa! That sounds much better. I misread your post. Oops! I'm still up for playing tho. How about a little Cadillac or Bellavia--or even--Even Now? Then the beer ^0^

Nice to see you here, Dutch!

And how about ol' Grogan coming out of nowhere!

If that were to happen, I'm thinkin "Born Again" would need to be played in ANTICIPATION....

Of course, Emmanuel would be sweet to hear live again... :worthy:

I have a request for Mike Grogan (I see you online, Mike)...or anybody else for that matter. Back in the day, I read a story of a Black Knight, a Freelancer who did battle with many other knights who fought under various colored flags. The Freelancer fought under no flag.... Mike I think you probably wrote it. I'd love to read it again. Can you post it?

Part of the magic of the corps for me was the freelancer lore. Mike you were the one who taught and told that better than anyone. Please share with all of us...

Also, Mike are you still in touch with Erik? Can't remember his last name but he was the 6'7'' bari player from Santa Barbara. I've been wondering about him...

Thanks,

Todd

The Bari player is Erik Conkell (sp?) He was from Solvang in Santa Barbara County. Have not seen or heard from him in many years, but last I heard he was living in Montana, has a great wife and kids! ( You all grow up so fast!) Karl Sarff and I wrote out the Freelancer Knight tale, I will have to dig around to find it, but I will post it when I do. Marching and teaching with the Corps and being a small part of so many great Freelancer's lives was a unforgetable experience for me. Like many others, the person I am today was shaped and defined by my years with the Corps. It was a magical time! :) "The Freelancers will never die, for the true sprit of the Corps lives within each of us, we few, we merry band of brothers and sisters."

"Born on all the strength of our past

Passion in our Hearts, will forever last

Black Knights in challenges of life

We have never learnt to give up the fight

Through many struggles we'll go on

Our hearts and soul will always keep us strong

Even when everything seems to go wrong

We'll have each other to look upon....."

Since I'm a dinosaur, I competed with the Capitolaires...all-girl and co-ed. Thought the name change to Capitol Freelancers was pretty cool.

Aged-out before the first big competitive push in the mid-70's. Glad Freelancers could take over the third California finalist position when Kingsmen went inactive in 75.

Joined VK's staff after the 79 debacle tour. Was there to start rebuilding the corps. Kinda didn't like Freelancers since so many talented people went up there. We sure could have used them! I'm sure they were helpful in getting Freelancers back into finals in 81...and that show has become one of my favorite all-time corps shows...enough to get the "Malaga" chart for SoCal Dream in 2003.

Worked with Paul Rich in Arizona. He got his Bachelors at Northern Arizona. He was finishing his Masters at Indiana State when a mutual friend got us on the phone. Paul had already been hired as director for Central HS in Phoenix. We worked together for 2 years until I moved back to SoCal. Last I heard he was at Ironwood HS in Glendale AZ, but their website lists another director now.

Garry

Passion in our Hearts, will forever last

Black Knights in challenges of life

We have never learnt to give up the fight

Through many struggles we'll go on

Our hearts and soul will always keep us strong

Even when everything seems to go wrong

We'll have each other to look upon....."

Thanks Dutch...

I can't see this first line without hearing Bradlay: "I was a strong baby!"

God, y'know, before I dropped in on DCP the other day to see if anyone had an explanation for Cascades' numbers, I hadn't visited this site in at least a year, and certainly hadn't been active on it for a couple years before that. Now here I am checking this thread (and others) every day.... Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

I can't see this first line without hearing Bradlay: "I was a strong baby!"

God, y'know, before I dropped in on DCP the other day to see if anyone had an explanation for Cascades' numbers, I hadn't visited this site in at least a year, and certainly hadn't been active on it for a couple years before that. Now here I am checking this thread (and others) every day.... Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Good one Bob!

I feel the same way. I'm checking it SEVERAL times a day (not helping my workload) but I can't resist! Must.....check.....freelancer blog.....!!!