Freelancers

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chad actually fall off the podium after a jump during the last run through at rehearsal on the day of Semi Finals in 1990? I seem to have that vision in my head and don't think I dreamt it.

Yep. Horns down, and no DM on the podium.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Horns down, and no DM on the podium.

Now THAT is General Effect! LOL :P

I believe the Physical damage category was always taken by Spider Monkey. No one could out hurt themselves to beat that guy. I remember he left a nice blood stain on the ceiling of Bus 9.

Spider Monkey (a/k/a David Brothers) is working at Lawrence Berkeley National Labs running a particle accelerator. He is allegedly a genius. :)

Kelli, please find me (where ever the heck I'm stressing over the show) on Friday. I'm sure I will need a really good hug.

NOTES -

I marched with Danny Olivera in '76. His death was part of the reason I didn't march again for a couple of years.

And I could talk about the '79 show, but I'd probably have to kill you! :P j/k Jumpsuits... ampssuck LOTS of drama that year. But still more good memories than bad.

Next to making Finals, my biggest thrill with the Freelancers was being able to wear the red cadet for 4 days. I was able to do "the movie" and got to wear the uniform for the filming. I LOVED those uniforms! And doing the recording for the soundtrack was pretty cool, too.

I'd like to hear more about Danny Olivera. Actually, I have two requests.

1. I'd like to know more about him from those that marched with him.

2. I'd like to hear more about the legend, or story or whatever you want to call it. All I can recall is a story of his "ghost" being seen on one of the busses by a member of the corps that had gone back to get something they forgot.

This is a very interesting part of Freelancer lore that I want to know more about!

Thanks!

Spider Monkey (a/k/a David Brothers) is working at Lawrence Berkeley National Labs running a particle accelerator. He is allegedly a genius. :)

Does that make him a lab monkey now? Because I'm against animal testing. <**>

I'd like to hear more about Danny Olivera. Actually, I have two requests.

1. I'd like to know more about him from those that marched with him.

2. I'd like to hear more about the legend, or story or whatever you want to call it. All I can recall is a story of his "ghost" being seen on one of the busses by a member of the corps that had gone back to get something they forgot.

This is a very interesting part of Freelancer lore that I want to know more about!

Thanks!

I can tell you about #1, but someone else will have to update you on #2 (I, too, have only heard the story).

I think I'm the only person on DCP that probably marched with him. I was a 14-year old rookie in 1976. Overall, Danny was a nice guy. He was at least a couple of years older than me, and quite a bit older maturity wise. We both played 2nd sop. He was a solid horn player; knew his part and knew enough to tell me what to do, too. When I found out about his accident (someone pulled out in front of his motorcycle), it hit me quite hard (Part of the reason I didn't march for a couple of years). I'm not sure I remember much else (It's been a couple of years...). Hope this helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Cainan,

Seeing this discussion and all of the posts that go with it reminds me a few great memories from years past.

9 to 9's at your pad (I still laugh about the Oldsmobile seat you had as a couch, but whats a poor drum corp junkie to do?)

Montreal takes one and two, I still wonder how Quinn and I managed to get you and Kim back to the bus.

Stepping out on the field at finals in 89 and seeing the crowd

Retreat at Allentown in 90 (personally I think 14th place was the REAL punishment for this)

I could go on and on, but thats enough for now.

Ken H.

The Charlie story of legends: Jennifer Krupp and the banana.

LOL.

"Jen...Tuning note please!"

Heh...I have made Jerry Stewart tell me this story so many times that I could probably recite it, word for word, with him, BUT, because he tells it better than anyone I know, I will refrain and let HIM tell it, becuase he DOES tell it better than anyone else!

I have a foggy memory of a small show somewhere in Oregon 91 where we had an "incident" with Freelancers on the retreat block.

It was one of those stand your ground disputes/feet on the yard line,elbow to elbow pushing and stamping.

I remember it got pretty heated,lots of abuse flying around,both DM's had to get involved.

Cue MikeBob

Edited by blublood