Freelancers

Ok so my Dane memories will probably reinforce pit stereotypes, but I'll tell it anyway....

Usually during 10 to 10's at Sac State, typical summer in Sac... 90 degrees of blasting sun. The corps would be out practicing drill for a few hours. We were usually having a sectional with or without the mallets. Then Dane would just come up with something out of the blue like "Dude, I could go for a Slurpee" and we'd all pile in a car and got to 7-11. Or "Dude, I want to go swimming." And then we'd all go over to whatever river ran along Sac State and take a dip. It definitely broke up the monotony of 10 to 10's.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so my Dane memories will probably reinforce pit stereotypes, but I'll tell it anyway....

Usually during 10 to 10's at Sac State, typical summer in Sac... 90 degrees of blasting sun. The corps would be out practicing drill for a few hours. We were usually having a sectional with or without the mallets. Then Dane would just come up with something out of the blue like "Dude, I could go for a Slurpee" and we'd all pile in a car and got to 7-11. Or "Dude, I want to go swimming." And then we'd all go over to whatever river ran along Sac State and take a dip. It definitely broke up the monotony of 10 to 10's.

That sounds like Dane. On tour, he would usually take about 4 showers a day. Definitely into keeping cool!

I wear spandex by choice

Yeah, me too....except it stretches so much it looks like fish net :ninja:

Edited by ogre

I marched in '83 and '84. Two very good years for the corps. Wished I had also marched '82, as that was probably the most solid show the corps had in the early '80's. The Red Freelancer Cadet with the Black pants and shoes (no spats) was the most bad### uniform out there.

I should know you but I don't. You obviously were not in the colorguard. I used to date Shelley Jones?

I should know you but I don't. You obviously were not in the colorguard. I used to date Shelley Jones?

JMC, who are you?

I marched in the tenor line both years. I briefly dated Sherilynn Adams in '83 and bus partnered with Lisa Arrelanes in '84 (both from the CG). I remember Michelle (Shelley) very well, and hope she's doing well.

Scott Newton

JMC, who are you?

I marched in the tenor line both years. I briefly dated Sherilynn Adams in '83 and bus partnered with Lisa Arrelanes in '84 (both from the CG). I remember Michelle (Shelley) very well, and hope she's doing well.

Scott Newton

She married a Blue Devil (She marched BD in 87) and moved to Boulder CO. I know Sherlyn, she was living in the Bay Area a few years ago when I saw her at the Concord show. I was a really skinny 15/16 year old who marched Rifle in 83 and 84. I also know Lisa as she went to school with Shelley and was also in the Rifle Line. I actually dated Shelly from age 14 to 18. Once she moved to Concord she found grown up love and left me. She has a couple of kids and is a teacher in CO. Her husband is an Engineer. She was doing quite well the last time we spoke.

JMC stand for Jonathan Cummings.

I believe the Physical damage category was always taken by Spider Monkey. No one could out hurt themselves to beat that guy. I remember he left a nice blood stain on the ceiling of Bus 9.

Edited by ogre

I only marched one year cause I did the whole family thing afterwards but I do have some unforgettable memories and met some wonderful people. I will never forget the day Chad Humpel was directing and jumped up so high for a cue that he almost fell off the podium. We all were laughing so hard that we had some serious ensemble tears.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chad actually fall off the podium after a jump during the last run through at rehearsal on the day of Semi Finals in 1990? I seem to have that vision in my head and don't think I dreamt it.