Freelancers

I wasn't in Allentown in 90 but have heard the story numerous times. Somehow Grogan's battle axe got stuck in the track and we played the show to the stands while coming off the field for retreat (which is a big no-no). Flaps were definitely closed that night.

If someone has a better description of this event, please correct me. B)

Thanks Kelli! :) I thought it was for a park and bark and vaguely remembered that it took a LONG time to get off of retreat that night.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know i have already posted about Freelancers memories but i forgot the most impotant one.

1990 was my rookie year in BD, and also it was my first ever trip to the US,i'd never seen a DCI corps in the flesh so every one of my senses were hightened,i was like an over excited school boy where everything was WOW

Freelancers was the very first corps i saw live,1990 at the pavillion.Those opening chords to Batman and then the first hit took my face off.Ill never forget that.

Wow. These stories seem to get more and more fantastic every time they are told. Chad threw down the plaque at retreat and a horn player chopped it in half with the battle axe?! Let's get this story straight. I was there too. At retreat the battery was up in front of the horn line in the block, just behind the color guard, so we had a clear view of exactly what happened.

Here is what happened. At retreat, when they announced our score, Chad ran over to the Troopers block, grabbed the gun out of the Trooper DM's holster, ran up to the judges and shot them all in the head.

That is why we didn't make finals.

Peace

Wasn't that after the Troopers DM had killed Craig the Bass Drummer and his twin brother had to come in and cover his spot in the line....?

I wasn't in Allentown in 90 but have heard the story numerous times. Somehow Grogan's battle axe got stuck in the track and we played the show to the stands while coming off the field for retreat (which is a big no-no). Flaps were definitely closed that night.

If someone has a better description of this event, please correct me. B)

I just want to make sure you're kidding here, because it wasn't that at all.

I hate to interrupt the parade of wild rumors, because I like them all (especially anything involving the Trooper DM's sidearm), but here's how I remember it, "for reals."

We were ###### at the judges when we tied with Boston, so it was decided to close the flaps, which we did off beyond the Side 2 end zone. After that we marched in two files to the Side 1 entry gate and formed our block on the track. The retreat that night called for each corps to troop the stands from the field (not the track) from Side 1 to Side 2 without stopping. Instead of doing that, we stopped in the middle of the field, turned to face the stands, and played the Batman opener intro, then turned back to Side 2 and marched off. The crowd loved it; DCI did not. We were fined $1500 for the delay (IIRC) and asked not to return in '91. John Zimny seemed moderately upset afterwards, but at the same time he couldn't help shaking his head and laughing about it in an "Oh, you crazy kids" kinda way.

As I recall, there was nothing involving the battle axe or a plaque.

As I recall, there was nothing involving the battle axe or a plaque.

Bob

John Rochon did sink the axe into the grass on the field.

Ken

Bob

John Rochon did sink the axe into the grass on the field.

Ken

Through a plaque...?

I do believe the axe-in-the-grass bit, but I thought the main reason we got in trouble was for the delay.

(The idea of Chad throwing a plaque to the ground is pretty funny, though. I just can't picture it.)

Through a plaque...?

I do believe the axe-in-the-grass bit, but I thought the main reason we got in trouble was for the delay.

(The idea of Chad throwing a plaque to the ground is pretty funny, though. I just can't picture it.)

Only the grass, I could see from where I was in the block. Yeah we got in trouble for the delay, but the axe just added feul to the fire.

Ken

Edited by KLHilberg

Do you remember when we made the VK CG cry because we carried the battle axe out to retreat in '89? I am not sure what they were scared of.

Melissa