Favorite Star of Indiana Show, 1990-1993

What's your favorite  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite

Definitely 1990.

The low brass chord at the end of the opener...yowza!!! Every time I listen to that part of the show, I get blasted into a different time zone.

Edited by 81regiment

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90 about melted my brain watching it live. I still use the opening to test new stereos. b**bs CONTRAS!!! :P

I though 89 Star was superb--loved the British theme. And they played the crap out of that show. Nothing but love for Crown Imperial!

93--one of the more cerebral shows ever performed, and the weight of the finished product is still impressive after 10 years, so it's Top 3 for me.

90-89-93...then 91..88..92...etc...

I too miss Star. Blast was OK, but it's just not "Star." It was an honor competing against such a fantastic group.

Maybe it is not kosher to post for they are my home team, but 90' was my favorite year. That combination of horn-book and drill was simply awesome. I was lucky enough to catch a few run-throughs at rehearsals where the 'reigns were off' the hornline. It simply knocked the wind out of you without loosing a step of quality. Awesome.

93' is my next favorite. I would bet that show would still contend, even with the two-valve G Kings it was played on. That show was just a little too ahead of it's time. The 93' hornline and drumline were without a doubt the best Star ever fielded in it's brief history.

Of the early years 88' is probably my favorite. Despite a letdown in the end the corps was very strong most of the year with a great hornline. That show laid the foundation for what was to come. Like many of you, I cannot go to a show nowadays and think what might have been if they had decided to stay on the grass.

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely 1990. 

The low brass chord at the end of the opener...yowza!!!  Every time I listen to that part of the show, I get blasted into a different time zone.

YES. The end of that opener is quite possibly my favorite ending to any song in drum corps history. Those soprano articulations, that mellophone lick, and trill at the end.....and that low brass hit you speak of..... :rolleyes:WOW. I love how you can specifically hear several fans scream during that chord.

I still voted for 1991 though, my favorite all-around Star show in their unfortunately brief history. If you played mellophone for Star of Indiana in 1991....you are a GOD. :D

Edited by GoPhantom

1990 for me, just because I love the hornline so much.

Of the four, the 1993 drumline is my favorite. As mentioned above, it was intense. I like 89's drum book better though. They took the Scottish drumming and ran with it. Having Rich Viano on the snare line didn't hurt, either.

I still like 84 and 87 the best.

:lol: 84?

Having Rich Viano on the snare line didn't hurt, either.

He's an INTENSE teacher... I'm in the hornline at BAC and I always try to play better when we're ensembling with the drumline.. Rich is the definition of intense. And his speeches are out of this world.

Rich Viano - awesome guy

On to Star...

Each show is my favorite depending on my mood. I'm going to watch all 4 right now just to see which is my favorite right now.

I just realized that i don't have 1990 star... That's terrible! Anyone spend time in the #drumcorps channel on mIRC??? It won't let me join that channel anymore..

Back to Star again..

I love the first about 20 seconds of Star 87, the sops are sizzling!

Ok I think 91 is my favorite visually - 91 had some of the most difficult drill i've ever seen. Most top corps these days don't have drill that crazy.

92 is my favorite musically, it's just flat out amazing especially the last 1-2 minutes. WOW Wham bam. The hornline is 2nd only to Star 93.

93 - well what can be said. It's Star 93! The show starts great and keeps getting better and better until the end.

That's all I have to say about that...

Brian Fischer