Old School--Best year ever

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showing my age, I'm going with 1969 - to me, it was the peak of old school drum corps - all the big corps were in top form - Cavvies, Kilties, Des Plaines Vanguard, Troopers, Boston Crusaders, SCV and Anaheim were not yet out of the starting gate, and there were SO MANY Corps throughout America at that time, and sadly, it marked the end of an era both of Midwest Corps dominance and of the concept of "local" or "homegrown" Drum Corps.

83, 84, 85 were just such a new change in direction and I was so mezmerized by Gahfield, and there was a year (can't remember) that I thought Phantom was fabulous. I believethere was a piece with yellow chains attached to the guard....

Nancy, that would be phantom 1982 show Spartacus. That is one of my favorite phantom shows of the 80's.

Thanks deftguy! I remember seeing them when they were in Malden, MA in 82, they were fabulous!

You could be outside of the stadium and it wouldn't matter what they were playing "the farmer in the dell" and you'd know it was Phantom...I love that about them! And the guard of course!!

1983 is out of the question, too many corps folded......

1980, 1984, and 1988 come to mind....1986 is out of the question, gone again were many corps...

I say ??

1982....to me, without a doubt. As I always state in other threads like this, the level of quality in 1982 was so steep, it could be found outside the top 25, let alone the top 12. Corps like Boston, Kingsmen, Avant Garde, Imperial Guard, Saginaires had such quality, entertaining programs yet they failed to achieve membership status.

There was a legitimate batch of corps vying for the top 12, Spirit, Cavaliers, Suncoast, Troopers, Knights, and North star....all holding a shot to make a run for the last one or two finalist spots......Corps like Valley Fever, Velvet Knights, Memphis Blues, Defenders all had solid marching and music programs also......

The south had a new champion in the Skyryders, beating Spirit and Suncoast and had one of the best hornline and rifle lines of anyone, they would be welcomed to the top twelve for the first time in 1982.

But what these corps had that many are lacking in other years ?? especially today ?? IDENTITY !!!!! You could tell each corps by their style, and each corps strived to be different while remainng competitive.

1982 also gave us the usual suspects at the top in BD, SCV, PR, and Madison but a newcomer was about to shock everyone and never look back . "East, east, east" could be heard that cold night in Montreal as the new Easter contender emerged in Garfield Cadets...beating everyone at least once all season, except the undefeated powerhouse Blue Devils, Garfield really made a name for themselves in 1982.

And, what about the other eastern powerhouse ?? 27th, started the season really slow, almost being caught by the Defenders and losing handily to Bridgemen, Crossmen and Cavaliers in the begining of the season...by the end, they roared back into contention surpassing them all and achieving a well deserved 6th place finish.....

Yeah, 1982....my favorite, hands down.

~G~

Thanks deftguy! I remember seeing them when they were in Malden, MA in 82, they were fabulous!

You could be outside of the stadium and it wouldn't matter what they were playing "the farmer in the dell" and you'd know it was Phantom...I love that about them! And the guard of course!!

Ha! Im staring at one of those yellow chains right now. I bought one of them for $5 from a girl in Montreal !! LOL LOL LOL

~G~

"Best Years Ever":

1964: The phrase "On Any Given Night" must have been born. EVERYBODY was good, and got better as the season went on. National Chmpionships went to:

VFW: Racine Kilties

CYO: Boston Crusaders

Worlds Fair: Chicago Royal Airs

World Open: Chicago Cavaliers

National Dream: St Kevins Emerald Knights

American Legion: Garfield Cadets

1971: Almost as good. Several new Championships added.

VFW: Santa Clara Vanguard

American Legion: Argonne Rebels

Mid America Open: Anahiem Kingsmen:

US Open: Blue Rock

World Open: 27th Lancers

CYO: Blue Rock

National Dream: 27th Lancers

Elphaba

1980...BD, 27th, Bridgemen, Spirit...awesome shows, every one!