What's Your Biggest Thrill In Drum Corps

Our free day in Montreal in 86 when we wrecked the beer garden with 27

Missed that one, but I was at the Biergarten in Montreal in 1976. We played a Montreal Alouette half-time game (in September). Jimmy Centerino was with us and got on the bandstand and played the "Mexican Hat Dance" with the German band. VERY Funny!!!!

"More schnapps, please!" b**bs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1983. We were at Illinois American Legion contest, somewhere in central Illinois. We were housed in a National Guard armory along w/ Elmherst Vaqueros and Belleville Black Knights. The evening after the show, the Vaqueros passed out copies of their closer, Bellevia w/ the Echano tag like the Freelancers used in the late 70's. We put the horn lines together probably about 70 horns total - had like 12 contras starting the bass line at the intro. It was really neat to be part of a relly big horn line just once.

Another cool memory was 4 July the same year, some parade in the Chicago suburbs. Dutch Boy had won the contest the night before, and their drum line weas warming up on one side of the busses and trucks, trying to look real cool. All the small corps, like us, Vaqueros, Emerald Knights, and Imperials decided to warm up as one line, w/ 12 snares, 10 tenors and lots of bass drums on the opposite side of the trucks out of sight of Dutch Boy. There was a look of panic on the Dutch Boy staff's eyes when the line started the warmup, like maybe Cavvies or Phantom had shown up. Guess you had to be there.

1983. We were at Illinois American Legion contest, somewhere in central Illinois. We were housed in a National Guard armory along w/ Elmherst Vaqueros and Belleville Black Knights. The evening after the show, the Vaqueros passed out copies of their closer, Bellevia w/ the Echano tag like the Freelancers used in the late 70's. We put the horn lines together probably about 70 horns total - had like 12 contras starting the bass line at the intro. It was really neat to be part of a relly big horn line just once.

Another cool memory was 4 July the same year, some parade in the Chicago suburbs. Dutch Boy had won the contest the night before, and their drum line weas warming up on one side of the busses and trucks, trying to look real cool. All the small corps, like us, Vaqueros, Emerald Knights, and Imperials decided to warm up as one line, w/ 12 snares, 10 tenors and lots of bass drums on the opposite side of the trucks out of sight of Dutch Boy. There was a look of panic on the Dutch Boy staff's eyes when the line started the warmup, like maybe Cavvies or Phantom had shown up. Guess you had to be there.

That's a fun story, and I looooooved Illiana every year, but it's hard for me to imagine Dutch Boy, circa 1983, when their average age was about 12, looking "real cool."

That's a fun story, and I looooooved Illiana every year, but it's hard for me to imagine Dutch Boy, circa 1983, when their average age was about 12, looking "real cool."

Pretty sure it was Dutch Boy - I found them on Corpsreps beating up on us in Wheaton IL on 3 Jul. IIRC they were fairly big that year, can't remeber much about age. If I am wrong it might of been Saginares; they were another one about 2.5 times our size who was a that show.

We could hold our own agaainst about any other 50 member corps - we had 30 horns, 10 drums and about 8 guard, so we sounded more like a big corps vs the 16 horns, 16 drums and 16 guard corps where the drums tended to outpower the horns.

Really enjoyed Geneseo that year.

Ya, the average age of DUTCH BOY was around 12 ??

How the heck did Dutch Boy WIN Division II in 1982 with an average age of 12 ?? :worthy::worthy::blink:

I don't think it was Dutch Boy that you saw !! B)

Too many to mention... One that stands out was playing a victory concert in 87 when Garfield wasnt able to make a show because of bus troubles. It was then just us and Bridgemen and it was a foregone conclusion. I think it may have been Port Huron. After a season of getting our ### handed to us every night it was nice to be the rock stars if only for a fleeting moment.

Other moments include...

First DCI Nats in 87

88 when we were actually pretty good

Sevierville

Beating VK for the first time in 89

3 words...Texas, Batman, 1990

1991, being good, I mean really good, I mean better than we thought we were when we beat Santa Clara in Brass Performance

1992, being the man along with Clint when all the supervets aged out in 91.

1992 first solo and hearing Karl Sarff shout my name at finals

1992... Making finals, by 0.1 over the Glassmen and fulfilling my promise I made to myself at Semis in 87. Because it was THERE that I promised myself that come Hell or highwater I would AGE OUT as a DCI Finalist WITH the Freelancers! Having done it at Madison where my drum corps career began made it all the sweeter!

Past: Marching the big contests that I'd read about for years, as a Kingsman.

Future: Playing in the 150-horn Kingsmen Alumni Corps when we've cleaned the charts...

Edited by GuyW

Past: Marching the big contests that I'd read about for years, as a Kingsman.

Future: Playing in the 150-horn Kingsmen Alumni Corps when we've cleaned the charts...

DO yourself and every one else that wish they were in your shoes a favor. Do a great friggin' show and make the ROSE BOWL smell that much sweeter after you guys have done your show.

God I wish I was going to be there !!!!! :beer::huh::ph34r::rock::rock::beer::beer::beer:

God I wish I was going to be there !!!!!

You will be represented well by at least 4 Great White Northerners in the Bowl....

Pretty sure it was Dutch Boy - I found them on Corpsreps beating up on us in Wheaton IL on 3 Jul. IIRC they were fairly big that year, can't remeber much about age. If I am wrong it might of been Saginares; they were another one about 2.5 times our size who was a that show.

We could hold our own agaainst about any other 50 member corps - we had 30 horns, 10 drums and about 8 guard, so we sounded more like a big corps vs the 16 horns, 16 drums and 16 guard corps where the drums tended to outpower the horns.

Really enjoyed Geneseo that year.

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't dispute that it was Dutch Boy you saw-they were pretty close to full that year-just that their average age was indeed around twelve, and it's hard for me to imagine their overall air as "cool." (Back in the day, a corps like DB or the Glassmen could field at full size and still only finish in the top 25.)

For those of you who never saw the Illiana Lancers, they were great. Their size made it easy for them to just go out there, let fly, and let their talent carry them along. I'm sure the East, South, West, and Pacific Northwest all had corps like the Lancers, but Illiana was a great Midwestern example of the "small is good" school of corps not necessarily out to make Finals every year, but to do a good fun show.