Santa Clara 1984

*sigh* if only I hadn't lost her phone number...would you believe I actualy had it in my shako during finals???

Sorry Sam, I can't resist--

You probably lost it when you slammed your shako to the ground at retreat <G>

I don't mean to make light of it (and you know I feel your pain), but I'll never forget the sound of those shakos hitting the turf, real hard. It kind of sounded like hail.

BTW, I got her phone number AND address.

Bill Thomas

SCV 83-87

*sigh* if only I hadn't lost her phone number...would you believe I actualy had it in my shako during finals???

Sorry Sam, I can't resist--

You probably lost it when you slammed your shako to the ground at retreat <G>

I don't mean to make light of it (and you know I feel your pain), but I'll never forget the sound of those shakos hitting the turf, real hard. It kind of sounded like hail.

BTW, I got her phone number AND address.

Bill Thomas

SCV 83-87

Actually, the shako I remember hitting the ground was from Stymie...the dude withe the beard in the La Fiesta trio (and The Look at the end)...and as I recall it wasn't at tghe 2nd place announcement, it was at Dave's winning score!

I think I was too stunned to react badly...I DO remember crying, however and hugging Beth Geick.

Re having Nadia's info...I hate you...j/k If you're in contact, tellher the BD guy who hugged her in full uni at finals says HI...kiinda doubt she'd remember me, tho...

It was closer to two dozen, just look at the SCV 83 drumline and you can see most of the faces in the 84 BD line.

Wow, this is so cool to hear - this is what makes coming online worth it - to me, anyway. The fact that a lot of the 83 SCV DL went to 84 devs is very very interesting to me, as a member of 84 27th. I have great respect for both those lines, and many of the lines we went against in the early 80s.

Wow...

For whatever reason, we kept our distance from the Vanguard that year. All of us in Garfield had this notion that Santa Clara hated us. It is too bad because I never once spoke to an SCV member all summer. And that is a shame.

Well, better late than never, eh?

Hate is too strong a word, but we definitely had ill will for you guys, no question about it. And it was different, sharper, for Garfield than for other rivals. Even so, GR and the rest of the staff (perhaps mindful of retreat in 83--but that's another thread...) stressed that a certain amount of animosity might be natural, but that directing it at individuals was foolish and wouldn't be tolerated.

I think it's mostly because, as you noted, we had so few opportunities to interact. With BD, we were together all of first tour, there were members moving between corps (mostly from us to them in those days), we were close geographically, and the two corps even rented a boat once a year (in April I think) for a cruise around the Bay (do they still do that?). So the rivalry between BD and SCV was like the one between the coyote and the sheepdog in that old Warner Bros. cartoon--we pounded the crap out of each other, but when the whistle blew it was time to get a beer. Even with PR, we did a joint concert and picnic a couple days before Drums Along the Rockies, which did a lot to humanize them for us (and vice-versa). But with Garfield, we perceived you as kind of like the Borg, or like the posse in Butch Cassidy("Who ARE those guys?").

And as you said, that's a shame. One of the things I really regret in my drum corps career is not making more of an effort to get to know people who, bottom line, had at least one common interest (obsession, more like it) and were performing at an elite level. I mean, in five whole years I'll bet I could count the number of people in Garfield I got to know in any way at all on one hand (let's see--Rich Armstrong, Johnny Sanchez, Barbara Moroney, Nadia Younes, Lee Rudnicki (but that's different)... yup, one hand).

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and believe me the feeling is mutual. If we were good, it's in large part because Garfield and BD were right there, spurring us on, every step of the way.

See Bill...that's part of the joy of Sr. corps...I'm marching against guys I marched with...and WITH guys I marched AGAINST!!!

Now....if Dave Fowler only lived in the L.A. area....THAT would be a story!!!!

Edited by 84BDsop

Thank you to the members of BD, SCV, and Garfield who shared their stories. That was my first year in drum corps and still one of the most interesting to me. It was great, but I thought '85 was even better. That's still my favorite year.

It's also interesting to hear about the relationship between BD and SCV. They are contrary to the stories I remember hearing. For example. in 1988 Star ventured out to California and was only 0.8 down from SCV. I remember hearing stories of BD staff mocking Santa Clara "0.8 above the pick elephants from Indiana" or something like that. I heard other stories of how cocky BD was and how they were horrible to SCV. I had never met anyone from BD and really didn't have much contact with them, but I got the impression that the members and staff weren't very nice.

I did have some contact with SCV and Garfield members and thought they embodied class and dignity, but never with BD. The BD members on here are great and I think I passed poor judgement on BD, based on exaggerated stories - maybe - I'm still convinced the '88 "Pink Elephant" story is true :silly:

It's also interesting to hear about the relationship between BD and SCV. They are contrary to the stories I remember hearing.

The rivlary was intense between the two corps. Yet, as JBL put it, once the show is over, the rivalry pretty much stopped.

Back then, this was the relationship between the two corps:

Blue Devils director marched in SCV (Mike Moxley)

Blue Devils brass arranger marched in SCV (Wayne Down)

Blue Devils brass instructor taught SCV (Jack Meehan)

Several Blue Devil members marched SCV

SCV and Blue Devils members marched together at San Jose State

Many SCV and Blue Devils members went to high school together

Many SCV and Blue Devils members went to college together

Many SCV and Blue Devils members were roommates.

The corps are about 60 miles apart from each other.

The relationship between the two corps is far more than just two corps who compete with each other on weekends.

It's also interesting to hear about the relationship between BD and SCV. They are contrary to the stories I remember hearing.

The rivlary was intense between the two corps. Yet, as JBL put it, once the show is over, the rivalry pretty much stopped.

Back then, this was the relationship between the two corps:

Blue Devils director marched in SCV (Mike Moxley)

Blue Devils brass arranger marched in SCV (Wayne Down)

Blue Devils brass instructor taught SCV (Jack Meehan)

Several Blue Devil members marched SCV

SCV and Blue Devils members marched together at San Jose State

Many SCV and Blue Devils members went to high school together

Many SCV and Blue Devils members went to college together

Many SCV and Blue Devils members were roommates.

The corps are about 60 miles apart from each other.

The relationship between the two corps is far more than just two corps who compete with each other on weekends.

I recall seeing a rehersal photo of Wayne when he marched SCV, he had hair down to his shoulders and there's a cigarette stuck between his middle fingers as he has his horn up.

You forgot that former BD horn instructor Dave Carrico also marched SCV.

And I believe now, former BD soloist turned horn instructor, Gino Cipriani is instructing SCV.

Has any one mentioned the combined Bay cruise before tour?

When I marched both corps would get together before first tour and have a combined S.F. bay cruise.

Is this cruise still going on?

Just thinking here, but maybe in August when the champions show comes to the Bay Area an alumni cruise for the two corps could be arranged around the events planned?

Edited by jbl

Wow - very cool story Morgan - thanks! Good stuff!

It is amazing reading about your thoughts and experiences in 84 as my own feelings from 1987 mirror them. The disappointment following prelims and the way we responded with a collective determination and confidence that I cannot not articulate nearly as well as you. Heck, we even experienced a tremendous problem similiar to your experience in 1984. As we were about to begin our warmup we looked around and realized something was missing. We had no drumline! :o