One Hit Wonders

Well, I decided to go to the basement to search the ol' drum corps archives and the Auburn Black Watch and Pembroke Imperials kept popping up--anybody familiar with these corps and could give us a little history and show these guys some love?? :silly:

Uncle z,

The Auburn Black Watch is from Auburn, Washington. I don't think they are active as a competition corps anymore. They were started in the early '70's by a "Danny somebody" I don't recall his last name. (Kind of a jerk to tell you the truth) Anyway, I guess they were pretty good by the end of the 70's. I don't know for sure though because I quit DC after the '74 season. I think corpsreps.com might have some information on them.

They/we were indeed from Auburn, WA. I believe the corps began competing in 1971. They quickly grew into a very competitive class A corps by 1976. They were strong enough to sponsor a feeder corps as well - the Highland Regiment. In 1978 the Black Watch won the class A competition at DCI finals in Denver. 78 was probably the pinnacle of BW's history. In 79 they moved up to open class and finished in 37th place in Birmingham. The corps lost a lot of members, and I believe struggled financially, following that season. They did not field a competitive corps for the 1980 season. The organization remained intact and a few very young members remained and practiced throughout that season. The winterguard program did remain competitve. In 1981 the corps came back to the competitive field, but we were a shell of what the Black Watch once was. However, we (the kids) were determined to grow the corps once again. We had a lot of momentum rolling into the 82 season and we were very competitive on the west coast class A circuit. However, once again we ran into a financial crisis and the corps could not compete in the summer of 83. The Black Watch did field a winterguard in 83, and that would prove to be the last appearance in competition for the corps.

The Black Watch typically played a great mix of traditional Scottish tunes and jazz.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROCKETMAN,

Sorry your going to hide behind the the story your instructors told you (to make you feel better) but it might have been the night you flat out lost our drum line did beat yours more then once that year we beat alot of good drum lines that year we were GOOD but we don't go around beating our chests about it, phantom was a better corps that year by far but give us are due that was a night that the horn line finally played up to there compitition and we were strong in the begining of the year for many of us it was the highlight of the month. :blink: this little corps out of no where to finish 16 at finals that was amazing for us b**bs JUST THINK SOMEONE WAS FEELING SORRY FOR YOU TO BRING THE RAIN OR YOU WOULD BEEN MARCHING PAST US LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE :blink: SO PLEASE KEEP THE BASHING TO YOUR SELF AND I KNOW I WILL GO TO MY GRAVE KNOWING WE BEAT PHANTOM F**K REGEMENT THAT NIGHT AND BE HAPPY b**bs.

BLUE STAR AND MARQUIS ALUMI

MOOSE1978

Gotta add my two cents for Marquis. That corps was my favorite listening in my first few years of DC. If Marquis was still competitive in 79 that's where I would have gone. Fortunately a lot of those guys went to Blue Stars, so I got to play with them anyway!

Add Geneseo Knights. They always had nice shows.

Uncle Z I have been listening to some early drum corps lately, mostly from the 50's to the mid 70's and some that I have enjoyed listening to (aside from the likes of SCV, Troopers, Much, Kingsmen,....) are:

Lt. Norman Prince Princemen

Argonne Rebels

St. Ritas Brassmen

Royals

Blue Rock

Salina Silver Sabers-trying to make a comeback

Regiment Militarie

B.S. Golden Knights

Skokie Vangurd

St Lucy's

Hylanders Royalairs

How about Wausau Story? I loved their show in 76 and thought they were going to be in open class the next year. Add Southern Rebels, Bleu Raeders, Florida Wave, Gauchos, Cadets of Greece, Charioteers, Memphis Brass Blues Band. So many.

Uncle Z I have been listening to some early drum corps lately, mostly from the 50's to the mid 70's and some that I have enjoyed listening to (aside from the likes of SCV, Troopers, Much, Kingsmen,....) are:

Lt. Norman Prince Princemen

How'd those Senior guys get in here :P

Also one of my fav Seniors from the piston/slide, no Contra era of corps along with Reilly Raiders and Archer Epler Musketeers.

who were heading for the limelight for a few seasons, but then faded away!!!!

for example, '74 Purple Lancers, '75 Royal Crusaders etc..

Or,  give a nod to the memory of corps that were consistently good. but just couldn't crack the higher echelon (that old, "with 30 more members they'd be AWESOME!!!!!" thing)

for example  Watkins Glen Squires, Osage Presicionnaires, etc.

Blue Devil Legend, I know you'll represent for Royal Commodores......

I'm going to have to say '76 Marquis......midwest vets, I'm sure you can remember back in the day.........................

Glad to see you mention Osage! I marched with them in 76 (their last year,I guess I have that effect on corps :sshh: )after the Glassmen folded in June.

I had a ball!!They actually were doing what Bridgemen became famous for starting the next year-Outrageous show,Funk and jazz, it's too bad they never made it into finals-so close but yet so far away!

OH Yeh!, The Marquis were one of our rivals back in the day(Glassmen) Remember the dueling versions of "Hill Where The Lord Hides"?

I have two that come to mind - and one never even competed at DCI.

I'm sure there are others who have more historical perspective, but it seems to me that St. Rita's Brassmen would have finished 5th or 6th in '72 had they competed. I believe there was some friction between their management and the newly formed DCI. The corps faded fast afterwards.

My second choice is Dutch Boy, who finished 13th three times and 15th once. While they did make finals in 1990, it seems that a few tenths each year could have made a huge difference.

Watching Geneseo's post DCI Midwest slide in '83, you couldn't help but feel for 'em. In mid July, they beat Cavaliers and appeared to be a lock for DCI finals; 3 weeks later they were 7 points down from corps they'd been right next to earlier in the summer. The worst feeling in the world is being out there knowing that you're busting your hump but that the numbers just aren't moving like they are for everyone else.

Memphis Blues looked they were gonna be another Spirit for awhile there, but just never went past a certain point. I always liked their arrangements - any idea who was in charge of the horn charts?

I remember being in a couple shows with Alliance while on tour in '83 and thinking they were going somewhere. Apparently they were, but didn't leave a forwarding address... :P Ah well, that happens.