Favorite Hornline Warmups

DrumCorps21

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved how the Glassmen (why isn't that Gl***men on this forum?) in about '93 warmed up with a short version of Bach's Little Fugue. They left off the last resolving chord...! Then the judges were readied, the corps was introduced, the DM started them, and -- ahh! -- they resolved the chord! So satisfying!

Roger Grupp

Glad you liked that! That was our 1995 show, A Joyous Celebration.

I played 2nd bari that year and, during that warm-up, I only had 4 NOTES! I basically did the movement part of the warm-up and little else. I NEEDED that chord resolution when the show started to make up for it. :D

Kevin i like that thing you guys played up at ES last year

Y'know, how do I keep ending up in corps that have moving warm-ups?

~~~~VERY BIASED ALERT~~~~~~

Cabs doing "Don't cry for me Argentina" in 2001. It says Don't Cry, I cried EVERY time!!!!!!!!!

I loved how the Glassmen (why isn't that Gl***men on this forum?) in about '93 warmed up with a short version of Bach's Little Fugue. They left off the last resolving chord...! Then the judges were readied, the corps was introduced, the DM started them, and -- ahh! -- they resolved the chord! So satisfying!

Roger Grupp

Glad you liked that! That was our 1995 show, A Joyous Celebration.

No doubt, that was a very cool warm up and show.

Michael Oldemeyer

Has anyone ever done a warmup called "space chords"? basically we start on a Bb major chord (you could probably start on any chord), and our brass tech (or whoever is warming us up) signals with his fists by pulling them apart and waving it across the arc.....as his fists pass each player, the chord splits and they break into an assigned note. The chord is basically a big dissonance. Then he will give us different signals quickly adjusting the dynamics of the chord. He will wave his hand across the arc, and as his hand passes, each player gets suddenly louder, then softer again. Or he will indicate for a certain section to get loud, then soft at different rates. The result is a really cool light sabre Star Wars sound effect type thing. Eventually we will resolve back into a Bb chord and continue with chord progressions of some sort. We don't get to do this often, but on occasion when we do, it sort of puts everyone in a good mood :D Though it might not be my favorite, it is certainly one of the more unique warmups I've ever played.

RK B)

Oh Lord, Yes! I've got an Mp3 that bd5times sent me of our last warm-up prior to 84 finals. Wayne (or was it Jack Meehan?) took us through some wonderful space chords, which resolved into the "Close Encounters" theme!

It was the very LAST warm-up that sticks in my mind, however.

Wayne just had us play a block G chord, starting at ppp and getting a step louder each time we played it. We got to F, then FF, FFF, Blastissimo, Molto Blastissimo, RFL, and then way says "Earthquake!" We play louder. "747!" We play even louder. Then wayne looks and sees Garfield's field battery in the distance, turns back to us and yells "NUCLEAR HOLOLCAUST!!"

I think they heard up in Maine! Loudest note I've ever played in my life!!

~~~~VERY BIASED ALERT~~~~~~

Cabs doing "Don't cry for me Argentina" in 2001. It says Don't Cry, I cried EVERY time!!!!!!!!!

That was very Nice Kay wasnt that for Cos?

Being a drum guy, I loved hearing F-Tunning. 1990 Blue Devils, I was in the horn arc, and WOW.......