Tell US About Your First Time Marching....

My thoughts are the same as Blue Devil Legend - except mine was 70 in Miami for VFW Nationals.

Hot and humid prelims.

The night show was a blur and I don't remember a thing! Too much focus, or else it's been way too long ago...............

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1987 - marched out and set up to do our on field warm up. Looked up at the packed stands and was amazed and excited I was in finals. Then I put that out of my mind as the snare counted of the warm up and from then on it was just another performance.

The weirdest part was after we performed. Going back into the stadium in uniform, it just felt weird. Didn't feel like finals night cause I was in uni and no longer was in awe over the corps performing, because they weren't that much better than we were. It kinda changed my outlook on the top corps and I started noticing errors and mistakes in the big corps shows and realized they aren't much better than we are.

Guardsmen 1976.

One of the most amazing days of my life. We really weren't sure if we had any chance at all but we went on second to last at prelims, did a really great show, went up in the stands to await our score and we got in. It really did feel like a miracle even tho we'd outscored some "big dogs" a few times during the summer.

Besides the day my son was born, probably the second greatest day of my life. Really.

Atlanta - 1977 thru 1980.

Well, our first show ever was in Wheeling, IL at Buffalo Grove HS.  I had never seen a high school that large in my life; there were 3 or 4 corps staying there.  We came off the line with Carnival Overture and the first half phased like a mo-fo.  Side one was one beat ahead of side two.  Luckily, we all ended at the same time.

As for my first Finals, Denver '78.  I remember going in and coming out.  Sad.  Jim Ott came out onto the field at retreat to tell us we missed top horns by 1/2 tick.  We asked him if that was okay.

My last finals, B'ham '80.  Jim wasn't there - but by God we were.  We loved our man Jim Ott that night.  I remember being out front during Sweet Ga. Brown and screaming after the gun before the company front in the exit.  Otherwise, a blur.

Jim Ott - never a blur but a constant reality.

Dude, did you know Mad dog that played Mello in '78? We used to hang with him, he was fun!

BTW, the show was at Wheeling HS, not Buffalo Grove. I remember this because Santa Clara was there and it rained all #### day, was a muddy mess at rehearsal. I remember SCV's drumline playing inside in the gym. Awesome!

Edited by TerriDitt57

I never had a chance to march finals but I often still dream about it.

Standing there with the lights on, looking up into the stands seeing all those

thousands of people. Then you here Brandt Crocker say: "You can take the field of competition" Then you mind goes completely blank, you forgot everything your

supposed to do, HOLY SH_T!!! b**bs :sos: :sshh:

That's MY dream almost every time.

Tell us about your first time at finals, your feelings, emotions, everthing!!!!!!!!

For me, first finals was the 1970 VFW Nats in Miami, where we were almost drummed out of town by the VFW mucky-muckys for DARING to march a Peace Sign to "White Rabbit".

The flashbulbs when we turned to hit the stands in that form were incredible. I think nearly everyone in the corps was blown away by the crowd reaction, after going through a bunch of "stuff" earlier.

Mike

My First Finals

1990 Dutch Boy

WOW

We're Here

After All That...(DUTCH BOY SUCKS!!! remember that night?)

Here we are, FINALLY!!!

The first finals I marched in was 1979....in exhibition......my thoughts at the time were of anger and heartbreak.

Then in 1980 we made finals .....aaah....stepping out on that field with the stadium packed with a cheering crowd was awesome! I was glad we made it and felt like I could relax and enjoy the ride! We knew we weren't going to catch Madison or SCV....so we just sat back and had fun with the show. I truly believe 1980 was a great year for drum corps and a great start for a new decade.

Dude, did you know Mad dog that played Mello in '78? We used to hang with him, he was fun!

BTW, the show was at Wheeling HS, not Buffalo Grove. I remember this because Santa Clara was there and it rained all #### day, was a muddy mess at rehearsal. I remember SCV's drumline playing inside in the gym. Awesome!

Terri:

You might be talking about ME! A mellophone named Maddox...

As for the school, we stayed at Buffalo Grove with 3 or 4 more corps. What a joint!

Oooh, I forgot a few things. Having to go on after Spirit anywhere, nevermind down south at finals was no easy feat.

When you're outside warming up or waiting for retreat and you hear the roar of the crowd say after the Bridgemen all fall down or SCV does the bottle dance......different stadiums give off different vibrations.....when you see the lights from afar, then you're actually in the parking lot, and the lights are so bright, for some reason, always looking brighter on finals night until you're on the field. Then they just seem to be the same as the any show.

I could bit my nails just thinking about it....

Edited by LancerFi