What you DON'T want to see on tour...

Found these while I was cruising around the Crossmen Alumni site, not a pretty picture.

1979-02.jpg

1979-06.jpg

1979-09.jpg

For those who don't know the story, Crossmen were en route to a show in 1979 when they got word that Spirit's EQ had crashed off the road a few miles ahead of them. Crossmen's director ordered the fleet to stop and the members to help salvage Spirit's instruments. One account says something like "Those kids picked that wreck clean in 15 minutes, with very little damage actually done to Spirit's equipment". And the corps have been great friends ever since.

More pics Here

Edited by Galen

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a rough year for both corps. And Spirit had ample opportunity to repay the Crossmen as they both made their way out to California and Crossmen's buses kept breaking down one after the other. Spirit and Crossmen basically became like one drum corps going down the road together helping each other out.

(Thanks for visiting the Crossmen Alumni Association website!)

Great story - not the wreck but the camaraderie that developed between the Crossmen and Spirit!

BTW, when you click on the "more pictures" link, scroll down almost to the bottom, and on the left you see a guy wearing one of my all-time favorite souvie T-shirts...Anaheim Kingsmen! Very cool!

Late 70s was rough on corps. Think it was Northstar (Boston area) who lost their equipment in a fire around 1978 or so. Maybe someone else can fill in the details as my memories hazy. I remember reading about it in Drum Corps News but that's about it.

Great story - not the wreck but the camaraderie that developed between the Crossmen and Spirit!

BTW, when you click on the "more pictures" link, scroll down almost to the bottom, and on the left you see a guy wearing one of my all-time favorite souvie T-shirts...Anaheim Kingsmen! Very cool!

Those were the souvie shirts and I believe same logo for members shirts from when the corps was restarted in 76.