anyone remember the keystoners?

i miss Sarge, and those horns Dutch Boy got eventually ended up with Westshore, thanks to Sarge and Dale who came down to march with us

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance that one of those ex-Keystoners King silver plated sopranos survived Dutch Boy, and would be available for sale? I'm assuming that whatever Westshoremen or their alumni plan to use in the future would have 3 valves by now...

If any of those old horns might be available, I'd be interested in trying to get one sop. There were at least ten, though 4 or 5 were taken by the allegedly underpaid 1988 instructional staff of the Keystoners.

Let me know if you know anything. Thank you.

Happy Holidays all!

John

Edited by John Mock

actually we have a lot of 2 valves...no $$ to just go out and buy the 3's, and, i have seen some of the old guys look at the horns with three valves and get this look on their face

:laugh:

Are 3 valves even legal in DCA competition?

Maybe someone can help me understand this ancient Keystoners question:

I had always been led to believe they had indeed won a national title, or at least a Class B title, in 1957. But did they???????

The history posted on corpsreps.com by a former DM who marched at that time states the Keystoners won the VFW OPEN National Championship in 1957--yet a check of that show's listed scores does not even reflect Keystoners among the scores. Reilly Raiders are listed as the Senior Open Class Champions. Based on what some told me, it rained much that weekend, and possibly the Keystoners may have been the only corps in their class to perform, due to rain/thunderstorms.

Earlier posts on this thread do indeed show photos of the 1957 Keystoners at that National Championship--yet my question emailed to corpsreps has gone un-answered.

I DID find a site elsewhere that discussed the Chicago Cavaliers NEW plastic drumheads of 1957--and credited the drumheads with at least minimally helping them to beat the water-logged competition there in Miami--so the part about the rain may be true.

Was there an "Open" or "Invitational" or "Class B" Championship that year and did in fact the Keystoners "win"?

Any information regarding that show would be most appreciated, because I've always wanted to know the truth--and by the 1980's field edition of the corps, nobody was currently marching who seemed to know for sure.

Thanks all--

John

Edited by John Mock

• 1 year later...
Oh, the things you find out about buddies on here. I marched with Dale Criswell in 1990. What a great guy. He really pulled me under his wing, showed me the ropes, and helped instill within me a genuine passion of the history of the art.

If you ever read this Dale, thanks bud.

Elmo Blatch

You are so right ! Dale fondly known as Sarge when he marched in Westshore was one heck of a nice man. He brought Dave Knapp (contra) and Dale JR with him along with Fenninger when they came to Westshore.

The entire gang used to stay at my place while they marched and one weekend Dale showed up with a van...he had traded his car in on it so we could all drive to the corps shows together rather than riding the bus...anytime anyone new joined the corps Dale was one of the first ones there to make that person feel welcome and let them know he was there for them...and then he would invite them to stay at my place too !!! LOL One weekend he actually suggested I start looking for a bigger place to live... :thumbup:

Oh and man could he and Dale Jr play !!! whew ! As he would have said, For an old Fart I can still play pretty well!

One of my fond stories...

Whenever the entire corps would stop at a gas station, I heard it said: "if it fits in my jacket, its yours."

True.

Elmo Blatch

Of course, I remember the Semi Finals rehearsal in 1990 (those of you that know Dale now know which corps I marched). There was some discussion by a percussion staffer during rearsal, who was generally ragging on the hornline for a timing issue with the drumline in a particular song. To add insult, one of the drumline corps members added to it; "yeah hornline, why don't you use your ears, listen, and try to fix the problem--you sound awful."

Being a baritone player, Dale couldn't hold back (nor would he back down). In return, Dale commented "drumline, you see those Finalist patches on your sleeve--you should personally thank the hornline right now for them. If it weren't for the hornline, this corps would still be doing its best to field an American Legion corps. There's a reason why the corps leaders picked the instrument they picked for the corps emblem, and it wasn't a drum."

And when he finished speaking, nobody said a word.

....ah, great times.

• 13 years later...

I realize this is a pretty old post, but I’m a resident of Milton. I don’t know a whole lot about the Keystoners. However, an effort is being made to bring a drum Corp back to Milton. I’m not certain on the name but I don’t think they will be called the Keystoners.

• Like 1