SCV 35th Alumni Performance

I just discovered (or rediscovered) why I love drum corps. I am a fan of both current drum corps and drum corps of previous decades. Saturday evening I attended Pacific Procession in Hayward and in addition to enjoying a full slate of impressive drum corps in all divisions - I had the chance to see the Vanguard Alumni perform the best of thirty-five years of Vanguard music. Rich in tradition - the performance literally brought tears of nostalgic joy to the audience.

The Vaguard Alumni actually performed three separate productions.

SUITE OF FAMOUS COMPOSERS

Fanfare & Allegro, On the Town, Candide, Appalancian Spring,Giannini 3rd, La Mer, Lezghonka drum solo, Dance of the Buffoons, Lullaby, Hut of the Babba Yaga and The Great Gate of Kiev

THE CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS

Procession of the Nobles, Overture to Henry V, The Clock (drum tribute to Fred Sanford), Overture to a New Era, The Canyon, Phantom of the Opera, Young Persons Guide to Drum Corps.

ON BROADWAY

Fiddler on the Roof and Tradition, I Don Quiote, If You Believe, Don't Cry for

Me Argentina, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, Phantom of the Opera, Main Theme Morning of the Dragon, Chava

AND

The entire guard brought the audience to their feet with

THE BOTTLE DANCE !

The Vanguard Alumni fielded approximately 100 brass players (gawd its hard to count that many) a full battery and pit plus a large and wonderfully talented alumni guard. The corps performed concert style taking up te entire field. In the opinion of the author this was definitely the preferred way to enjoy this impressive performance and movement and color was provided throughout the performance by the Vanguard guard.

One last comment. This corps has definitely demonstrated the greatness and tradition of the Vanguard. The 2002 Vanguard stood in a block and watched the entire performance like they were in a trance watching the musical history of their corps unfold in front of them. in a word RESPECT.

I am fortunate enough to have seen the Vanguard's first performance in 1967 and believe me the talent of 35 years of Vanguard Tradition is clearly evident.

Don't Miss Them in Madison !

Ralph O

California Drum Corps Guy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the phone while the corps did the Bottle Dance....STU was freak'n out....must have been really cool!

I'm looking forward to the performance of SCV alumni in Madison. Many of the Royal Airs remember seeing SCV for the first time in the late 60's. As one story goes from a member of RA, "I watched their performance in 68, and knew they would become champions within the next four years, I was off by a year, so what!"

Later...

Jim "Insanity" Schehr

Thank you for the great review. As a member of the SCV Alumni Guard, I thought a few times...man, I'm too old for this. But seeing the A-Corps kids on the track going nuts and the crowd cheer when we lined up for the bottle dance was worth everything I've put into it.

-4 weeks til DCI!

Reese's Mom

I feel very fortunate to have witnessed the history of Santa CLara unfold before my eyes and ears!!!!!! Don't get me wrong...what the junior corps did was great....but to see and hear SCV all over again was truly something spectacular.....Yes, I was on the phone with Sluggo and made him listen to most of the show, even though he couldn't really hear much of it!!!! The only thing that i think got MORE applause and cheering than when the corps launched into Phantom of the Opera, was, of course, the bottle dance. I have been a fan of drum corps for years, but this was the first time I had ever seen it done live and there is just something awesome about it........you know what it is...you know it's coming when the guard starts making thei way to the front during Chava, and then when they lock arms and drop to their knees....you know EXACTLY the feeling of raw power and exuberance you are about to be slapped inthe face with.....and you lean in closer to meet that slap head on...........and then it happens and I must say, that is TRULY a one of a kind experience and quite frankly, the best moment of the entire night!

Thank you Santa Clara Vanguard Alumni for making the PP Show one that I will truly never forget!!!!!

I'm truly impressed by the Renegades who also are in the SCV Alumni corp...Jojo, Kimela, (I know there are others, but forgive me for not naming you!)...

Performing two completely different shows in the same is awesome...you guys are my heroes! :lol:

I'm truly impressed by the Renegades who also are in the SCV Alumni corp...Jojo, Kimela, (I know there are others, but forgive me for not naming you!)...

Performing two completely different shows in the same is awesome...you guys are my heroes! :lol:

Al, thank you very much for the kudos!

I was so proud to be a part of both the Renegades and the SCV Alumni corps on Saturday. It was very emotional for me and I had tears in my eyes at the end of both performances as both corps received standing ovations.

It's been a lot of hard work, sacrificed weekends and achy muscles -- but all of that was forgotten the moment I looked up into the stands and saw the crowd on their feet and screaming. The crowd was simply AMAZING.

I feel very privileged to be working with ALL of you. The best part is that there's more to come!!

XOXO