Best Baritone Soloists

Mahler

Don't know the guy's name -- Anaheim Kingsmen 1974 in the middle of Artistry in Rhythm. Pure tone, great projection. The solo was short but oh so sweet!

Steve Beard

In Blue Knights' 1995 Legacy show there was a gorgeous baritone solo during our ballad. The soloist's name was Mike (sorry can't remember the last name) and as a guard member I had the privilege of performing right next to him during the entire solo. I just loved performing to that piece, it was so incredibly moving.

Now that may not be considered a great solo technically (I have no idea, I'm a guard girl), but I know it had such an impact on me that I swore when I finally learned to play a brass instrument it would be a baritone and he's the reason why.

So, cut to 12 years later and I start marching corps again this year in Dream. I hear our baritone soloists Soos and Mark and now that itch is back. It's time to learn. Thanks to these three guys I'm starting baritone lessons tomorrow. No exaggeration. And I'm dragging my 16-year old brother with me! He's never played either, but we're taking lessons together.

So from the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank Mike from BK '95 for such a moving experience that leads to me to the journey I start tomorrow. Whether or not the staff and members of Dream thank Mike for getting me, the guard/pit girl, started on playing a baritone is a whole other story. :laugh: I'll let you know in February. :D

Bill Cross - Bari player with Lasalle Cadets from Ottawa, Canada - playing "Summertime" in Porgy and Bess concert piece, early '70's. Lasalle had a great reputation for hot soloists throughout the corp's :laugh: history.

Edited by Lasallemello73

I agree Jerome is a great player. I know 'cause I play beside him at least once a month. So as soon as I hear his version of Black Bottom (a la Billy Hightower, 1962) maybe I'll slip him up to the top of my list.

What do you say, Jerome? Maybe an encore at the VFW afer the T.O.S. on Saturday?

Wow.You guys make me blush(and we all know how hard it is for that to happen) ^0^

Dan,I plan on performing for the corps sometime DCA weekend.Maybe we can get Brian ,Dave and Jimmy Reilly to play their respective I and e pieces as well. :)

PS,I dont know what "Black Bottom" is,just that I have one.

Edited by JeromeyBush

• 4 years later...

Some of my faves, off the top of my head:

Two names from a bygone era: Bill Hightower and John Simpson. Two absolutely awesome players, considering the tinker-toy brass instruments they were playing on in the early 1960s.

Doug Kenyon should probably be on anyone's "best of" list.

Ruben Ariola, now with the NY Skyliners Alumni corps. He gets my vote for the loudest baritone player in the history of drum corps (you gotta hear this guy bring the heat!!!!), with a great tone and technique to match.

A not-as-well-known name from the 1970s: Dennis Dewey. A great bari player with the (then) Garfield Cadets.

Fran

and just to give you an update dennis went on to teach for 33 at a high school on long island and before retiring his band won state many times including 2 of the last 3 years he taught.

• 2 months later...

John Bender, Reading Bucanners BITD. Dave Cooksey, Scouts BITD. The Bari guy with BD in 93. The Feature with 85 Suncoast.

All great for different reasons. What is in common is all project their personalities, wear their heats on their sleeve, and are fearless.

I also agree with the call on Rick Moss, for the aforementioned reasons.

And RIP Bill Kellerman, 1990 Crossmen bari soloist, who was no slouch, either and was a great young man.

From the ancient days, Reilly had a wonderfully good solost, Larry Scott, who could actually make MUSIC out of one of those nasty old G-D bugles in period. Do a google for "Larry Scott, Student Prince solo" and scroll down, old 78 recording, but Larry really could play with heart.

Don't know the guy's name -- Anaheim Kingsmen 1974 in the middle of Artistry in Rhythm. Pure tone, great projection. The solo was short but oh so sweet!

"Anahiem Baritone":

He is Stephen Beard. Started with Troopers, had a solo in the 1968 edition "Up Up and Away". Moved to Anahiem CA marched Kingsmen for several years when his parents divorced. Dad was a manager with Kingsmen, Mom and his sister, Alana stayed in Casper, she marching with the Troopers until she aged out.

Elphaba

1. Pooh Bear

2. Ed Irwin from Bridgemen in 72 and 73 that played the solo in Free

3. The ex-Racine Scout who joined Troopers did the Scarbourgh Fair solo in 1969..was killed in a car accident after the season. Can't remember his name

4. Bryan Aller--60's Kilites...undefeated in solo competition

5. Mike Phillips--Cavie's 73--he line in the begining duet

6. John Georgeson--Madison 74....his solo in God Bless The Child...awesome!

7. John Cassell--Kilties--one of the sweetest tones I've ever heard

8. Dave Lang--Colts...wow

9. There was a guy in Hurricanes in the late 60s...can't remember what he soloed in though

10. What Terri said--the guy from Guardsmen that did the Watrousesque solo in Tiger of San Pedro

"Ex Racine Scout":

Was Bill Adamski. Lost his life in a car wreck while he was a member of the USMC "8th & I" drum corps.

Elphaba

Wow.You guys make me blush(and we all know how hard it is for that to happen) ^0^

Dan,I plan on performing for the corps sometime DCA weekend.Maybe we can get Brian ,Dave and Jimmy Reilly to play their respective I and e pieces as well. :)

PS,I dont know what "Black Bottom" is,just that I have one.

"Black Bottom":

As far as "Drum Corps" use, it was the second half of the St Catherine's Queensmen's 'Concert' in 1961. Bill Hightower had a great solo spot in this number, as well as the feature in "Tin Roof Blues".

St Catherine's, Hightower, and both "Blues & Bottom" can be heard on the Fleetwood CD remake of "Brass by Night", the concert recordings of four of New York's juniors.

Elphaba