Best Baritone Soloists

Mahler

That's why you can't compare eras. The equipment back then was primitive, some would say "junk", as compared to today's horns.

Regardless of era and equipment, many of these guys were still accomplished musicians and made great music out of the horn in spite of the difficulty of wrangling some of those old bugles- and I've played on some, need to restore my G-D tenor myself. It's why I mentioned Larry Scott on this thread. And-- he was such a decent, kind, wonderful guy that I was honored to know as I grew up in NJA.

I just try and point out some of the guys that maybe never got noticed, or because of the passage time, aren't known, and should be.

There needs to be more love for Aaron Goldberg. Crossmen's soloist from 2000-2001. Some sick solos.

Big W,

Well said. And although we are on a DCI thread, I think that musicans in the seniors like Pepe Nataro deserve consideration. He didn't just pop up on the senior scene. I know his bio is out there and I could look up which juniors he played with, but I'll leave that to someone else.

I have no question that everyone mentioned is a superb player. I would't want to be a judge on ranking them and who goes into the mythical Baritone Hall of Fame. If they are good enough to be nominated by fellow musicians, they are good enough to get in.

Kevin

Edited by kdoh

John Bender was one of the influences to join corps from his performing- he still laughs at me when I tell him that. Larry was with Osmond Junior IIRC.

Pepe's background, starting from a neighborhood junior corps and then moving on is pretty incredible. And, he was a very fiery rival to compete against, let me tell you. I am proud to say I was in a corps that got the best of him twice- and that's a story with that involving Frank Dorrite and Pepe on that subject I'll eventually get to in the Westshoremen thread.

And you're right- most of the posts are bari guys- and it's obvious all of us are students of the instrument- and to be a good student, you have to listen to the people you respect and admire and take something from what they do to help you grow. And at 49, I haven't stopped learning and listening to a lot of the people on this list.

Our leads in the early 80's Westshoremen were very proud of our ability, and we did some fine feature and small ensemble work- but I think we'd all say that we'd be most proud of our achievements as an entire low brass section.

Patrick is on this forum somewhere.... he posted his solo from Asphalt Cocktail... sick stuff...

Patrick is on this forum somewhere.... he posted his solo from Asphalt Cocktail... sick stuff...

Patrick's solo I think might be THE most difficult thing anyone's ever had to play on a bari on the field- and I've seen video of him playing is sans octave splitter, and EVERY note is THERE. Only one word to describe the young man- BEAST! :thumbup::worthy:

And although we are on a DCI thread, I think that musicans in the seniors like Pepe Nataro deserve consideration. He didn't just pop up on the senior scene. I know his bio is out there and I could look up which juniors he played with, but I'll leave that to someone else.

Pepe Notaro's first corps was Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Brooklyn during the late 40's. Not sure if he ever played baritone, but if it had pipe and a mouthpiece, he could no doubt play it. I think he started in drum corps around the age of 9 or 10.

• 7 months later...