Hershey...A View From The Right

I can guarantee you that there will be no apologies forthcoming to you or anyone else from any Commandant's Own Marines, past or present, for the content or structure of its shows or performances. The unit, and the shows it performs, serve a very important purpose. That purpose is not to meet the requirements or expectations of a DCI-type show. But the unit does what it does very well, with discipline, musicality and precision. If you're not a fan, that's certainly your prerogative - It's a free country, you know.  You can thank the Marines for that - all of them.

You're welcome.

Semper Fi.

Being a staff member for one of the corps there, it was a great pleasure and honor to see the Marine Corps perform. And yes, there were outstanding musicians in their group.

Mike Collins

BD 84, 86

SCV Brass Staff 04

'If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a soldier'

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have a college degree, have attended hundreds of shows, (both Jr. and Sr.), am responsible for the reformation of the Brigs in 1992, marched for them, recorded many a parking lot warm-up, spent thousands traveling across the country chasing corps, etc., etc., so you don't need to know my name."

On an additional note regarding anonymity and its effect on the believability of a post:

From what I know of Brigadier history, the reformation of the Brigs occurred in 1991, not 1992. Actually, the initial meetings were held in 1990, with a parade corps developed in 1991.

More importantly, knowing the people who were responsible for the reformation of the Brigs, I highly doubt anyone who had a hand in that would ever take credit or deem themselves as having been outright "responsible" for reforming the Brigs.

But if I have my information incorrect, please feel free let me know.

you proved my point. you really are pompous. your little point-by-point analysis shows your true pettiness (and shallowness) in believing that anyone "outside" of the drum corps community can have any serious debate about or challenge the hard-headed beliefs of someone who marched or carried an instrument.

why do you and others here think this way? is drum corps only for you? the paying fan has no merit in your little "I-marched-and-you-didn't" world? you have no respect for my comments, and that's not in the spirit of this website or in the spirit of debate. I'm trying to have a little fun while being balanced and critical, and challenge your (blatantly) exposed "racism" towards those on the "outside."

oh god, sorry about the slip-up on the dates. can't believe I'm apologizing to you. are you a lawyer or something? guess it was 1990. 1992 was the first performance year. you better dig a little deeper tho. when the corps became incorporated, I was one of the people who put up $20 to pay for the incorporation. maybe if you can find the members of the corps in the room that day, you'll find me. I would bet it's in the minutes. I was there. you weren't. so there.

I could drop names and tell you stories, but why. what will it prove?

shall we talk about the bingo scandal? how about the struggles of the first year and playing DCA politics? maybe you'd like me to tell you about my clandestine meetings with Mickey and Billie? instructor disasters? creating the logo? wearing the original uniforms after finding them in a hidden closet at the VFW hall? dealing with the hard feelings of original members? "Shangri-La?" but why should I? just so that I can live up to your silly little standards of "acceptability?" get over yourself. there are other people in the drum corps fraternity that matter.

and I never said I was "outright" responsible for anything. now you're putting words in my mouth.

Speaking of 1978.....isn't your screen name a little 1978:)  Totally kidding.  I loved Butch Anderson and George Parks as much as anyone who had the privilage to watch them conduct.

yes, they were the best. drum corps died a little bit when they left. losing Jimmy Russo from the Cabs closed that door for good as well.

we may never see drum majors like that again and I was lucky enough to have seen all 3.

thanks for acknowledging my nickname and their brilliance!

cheers

paragraph by paragraph rebuttla:

yes i feel you are, because even when presented cold hard facts, you go on with your rant. and if this was viewed as cold, wow, you aint seen nothing online yet.

and they are there for more than 'the military thing". they actually draw fans. you do realize this particualr drum corps performs before more people than the top 12 combined?

and yes, i would gladly watch the Marines after DCi quarterfinals. i feel they make an excellent exclamation point to any show they appear at.

and if you dont like the Marines, go down to the souvie area. i'm sure they'd love to see you

everyone is so darned hostile when I challenge their ideas and beliefs!

to wit: "go down to the souvie area, I'm sure they'd love to see you." I can't do anything but laugh. what? are we in 4th grade? is someone going to beat me up because I don't like their gig? is this Stalinist Russia and I didn't notice? (I thought we were in America)

settle down Jeff. it's all good. as I have mentioned, TIME AND TIME AGAIN, what the Marines do is magnificent, but it has gotten boring to me after repeated viewings and I feel ("I Feel" means "my opinion") that they are on for too long.

I'm not on trial here, for goodness sakes. there hasn't been any presentation of "cold, hard facts," and I'm certainly not ranting. correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a website for ideas, opinions and debate.

I did not realize that they perform for more fans than the top 12 combined. thank you, but I'd like to see the "cold, hard facts" on that one. In the meantime, I'll trust your wisdom and respect your statement.

p.s. what does "rebuttla" mean?

You're absolutely right, Fran.  And if I ever want this guys opinion, I'll beat it out of him!  :whistle:

Al Maree, Jr.

Major, USMCR (Ret)

again with the hostility!

dvldawg thinks I should bow down to the fact that the Marines made us a free country, Jeffjetta wants to send me to the souvie area to meet up with the Marines, and a retired Marine wants to "beat my opinion out of me."

amazing.

you guys are a little defensive aren't you? maybe a little aggressive and hateful? can I not speak my mind in a critical way? apparently not here. I have not used any profanity, I have not slammed anyone, I have not named names. but you all want to jump on me.

if I've learned anything thus far, it's that this little closed community is not open for critique or analysis - and god forbid it should be from someone outside the ranks.

I'll keep posting. and I'll keep challenging. deal with me. respect someone else's views for a change without resorting to threats and implied injury.

I love you all. you make my summers better.

to wit: "go down to the souvie area, I'm sure they'd love to see you." I can't do anything but laugh. what? are we in 4th grade? is someone going to beat me up because I don't like their gig? is this Stalinist Russia and I didn't notice? (I thought we were in America)

I think he meant that if you don't want to watch a particular performance, you could go down to the souvie trucks and support the corps you like by buying merchandise ...

Aren't we over-reacting just a bit? :whistle:

P.S. You may not have used any profanity, slammed anyone, or named names ... but you do use big blue letters, which is really annoying and hard to read. You've also insulted people, carried on like a petulant child, made a nuisance of yourself instead of just politely stating your opinions, and failed to notice when others are joking or exaggerating for effect. You've also criticized people for making simple typos. If you want to endear yourself to the rest of the DCP community, all it takes is a little effort. Otherwise, don't expect to be loved until you treat everyone else with a little respect.

P.P.S. Claiming that you have all this experience is all well and good, but there's no reason anyone should believe you if you don't use your real name. The simple fact is that people will automatically treat what anonymous posters have to say with less regard than people who sign their names. If George Hopkins, Jeff Fiedler, Chuck Naffier, Al Chez, and even Lee Rudniki can sign their names when they post to DCP, why can't you?

Edited by Orpheus

you proved my point. you really are pompous. your little point-by-point analysis shows your true pettiness (and shallowness) in believing that anyone "outside" of the drum corps community can have any serious debate about or challenge the hard-headed beliefs of someone who marched or carried an instrument.

. . . . . . (etc., etc.)

/quote]

Let's put this to bed, already. No one ever said you weren't entitled to your opinion and you can challenge anything you want. But apparently, when you are challenged, that is not acceptable. Moreover, you sure do sound a little defensive about what you have done and haven't done - from all the things you describe yourself as having done in the drum corps activity, I can't imagine why you would consider yourself "outside" the drum corps community. No one here has said you were outside the community and thus not entitled state your opinion. We certainly can't know either way, since you choose not to mention who you are.

The bottom line is this: you can think whatever you want and you can say whatever you want. So can everyone else. But don't expect others to accept your opinions just because you say they should. That just ain't gonna happen. No one has said in any manner that you should not express your opinions. You've simply been asked to stand up and be accountable for your opinions and the ridicule you've chosen to cast upon others. Accountability comes by sharing your identity, but you've chosen not to do so. Someone who doesn't have the guts to stand up and be accountable for what they say and do isn't worth any more of my time. So, point made and I'm done.

oh god, sorry about the slip-up on the dates. can't believe I'm apologizing to you. are you a lawyer or something?

um, actually yeah she is! LOL

I think he meant that if you don't want to watch a particular performance, you could go down to the souvie trucks and support the corps you like by buying merchandise ...

Aren't we over-reacting just a bit?  :whistle:

P.S.  You may not have used any profanity, slammed anyone, or named names ... but you do use big blue letters, which is really annoying and hard to read.  You've also insulted people, carried on like a petulant child, made a nuisance of yourself instead of just politely stating your opinions, and failed to notice when others are joking or exaggerating for effect.  You've also criticized people for making simple typos.  If you want to endear yourself to the rest of the DCP community, all it takes is a little effort.  Otherwise, don't expect to be loved until you treat everyone else with a little respect.

P.P.S.  Claiming that you have all this experience is all well and good, but there's no reason anyone should believe you if you don't use your real name.  The simple fact is that people will automatically treat what anonymous posters have to say with less regard than people who sign their names.  If George Hopkins, Jeff Fiedler, Chuck Naffier, Al Chez, and even Lee Rudniki can sign their names when they post to DCP, why can't you?

because it just doesn't matter! I would not disrespect any of their opinions if they did not tell me who they were. I don't look at any of your references. it absolutely doesn't matter to me. in fact, I find it rather vain that you (and others) have to quantify yourselves. I'm reading your words, not your resume. what you say is not based in relation to anything you have done. Al Chez or Geo Hopkins could still come off as a dummies if they say dumb things.

you and dvldawg and others have disrespected me because I choose not to tell you who I am. as I argued with her, would it really make a difference? would you go: "oh my god, that's Arturo Sandoval! now I really agree with what he's saying!" no! not if he called you names or dissed your corps.

apparently, words are not enough for you guys. you need proclamation and name recognition to be convinced, and that is why I am claiming unfairness. ALL of our opinions matter, references and marching experience aside.

sorry about the typo thing. it's a pet peeve. feel free to look for any in my posts and tell me about them. as you may figure out, I am kidding about this and simply look to gently tweak the poster. it's a way to endear yourself to him or her. you don't see that. fine.

as for being a "petulant child," and being a "nuisance," you sir, said you'd like to beat me up. I don't find that exaggerated or joking around. Marines don't talk like that. I took you for your word.

and please tell me whom I've insulted. I have used respect, spoken clearly, decisively and with great thought on the words I am about to use. I do not look for your love or endearment, just a little critical discussion and fun back-and-forth. I do have a cynical and smart-aleck style, and that rubs you the wrong way. sorry about that, but I haven't insulted anyone.

deal with the blue letters. I think they're quite fetching and very easy to read. I find the standard font very boring and attempt to make my posts easy to read for those who don't wish to strain their eyes on size 10 font.