Hershey...A View From The Right

Well as you can all see I am new to all of this... I think we can all agree to disagree especially when opinions are so varied.

You know...I loved the corps I saw and yeah everyone is entitled to their opinions...Blue Devils are a group I have never liked but Tom loves them....He watched and I streched my legs... So what ?!?! We didn't argue that I didn't stick around to see his favorite corps.  We both have differnt opinions and neither of us just  :whistle:  to the other and say yours is right or wrong. 

I have been following this thread since Tom posted it.  I have been amused and hurt too.  Our young men and women in the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps do a fantastic job...They may not be in your face Drum corps but they are to be commended for their tallent and their dicipline.  If you are bored with their portion of the show then ...Go stretch your legs  :) 

Opinions and debate make the world go round and I will continue to enjoy the banter. 

Best of luck to all the Corps in the rest of the season !!!!!!!!!  You all are wonderful, talented, musicians and showmen.

you're right, I did stretch my legs, beacuse I've seen them before.

everyone here is convincing themselves that I hate the Marines. do I have to keep beating this drum? THEY'RE GREAT, TALENTED PEOPLE, as I've said in previous posts.

drum corps is an extremely difficult activity performed by talented, dedicated individuals and I love the activity, but if I can't express my opinion on their show in a funny, sarcastic way, then this website is pointless and debate is generally pointless.

if you all want to disagree with me, fine, but don't make it personal or try to tell me that I don't count because I'm not one of you or I don't post my name. that's juvenile stuff.

and remember that I will come back just as strong as you have come forward so that I can defend my position.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF I wanted your opinion, like the gorilla on the famous 1970's poster, I would beat it out of you.  You're probably a little too young to remember this, so the attempt at humor was wasted.  Sorry.

You're entitled to your opinion.  Heck, the last time I saw them I yawned a couple times.  But I also had a few goosebump experiences.  You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to.  Can't we just all get along!?!?!?

Al

BTW, you never marched and you love drum corps?  God bless you!

ok. cool. now we're getting somewhere. yes, I LOVE drum corps!!!!!!!

I missed the humor in the joke. so much is lost in this format. no offense taken. (at least now!)

you're right, I did stretch my legs, beacuse I've seen them before.

everyone here is convincing themselves that I hate the Marines. do I have to keep beating this drum? THEY'RE GREAT, TALENTED PEOPLE, as I've said in previous posts.

drum corps is an extremely difficult activity performed by talented, dedicated individuals and I love the activity, but if I can't express my opinion on their show in a funny, sarcastic way, then this website is pointless and debate is generally pointless.

if you all want to disagree with me, fine, but don't make it personal or try to tell me that I don't count because I'm not one of you or I don't post my name. that's juvenile stuff.

and remember that I will come back just as strong as you have come forward so that I can defend my position.

ATTENTION PLEASE >>>>> THIS IS A JOKE>>>REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A JOKE

I read some where about pet peves and typos???? Beacuse I think was to be because......I was just thinking on a light note and PLEASE don't bite my head off.

^0^

Also on a serious note >>> I apreciate your agreement in stretching your legs but I don't think that I said anything to be taken as offensive to you personally in my post. I was being diplomatic and agreeing that not everyone has the same opinions.

I guess this is why I don't understand the need to add so much more to the comment of my post....I never berated your opinion or said it was unsubtantiated in any way.

One thing I guess we do agree on though is the balls and the talent all of these corps have...even if some shows are great nap times or Rip your face off shows.

Also on a serious note >>>  I apreciate your agreement in stretching your legs but I don't think that I said anything to be taken as offensive to you personally in my post.  I was being diplomatic and agreeing that not everyone has the same opinions.

I guess this is why I don't understand the need to add so much more to the comment of my post....I never berated your opinion or said it was unsubtantiated in any way.

One thing I guess we do agree on though is the balls and the talent all of these corps have...even if some shows are great nap times or Rip your face off shows.

As a fellow "newbie" I can see where you are probably getting frustrated. People are wicked passionate about the activity they love and their opinions seem to be, in most cases, absolutely right, bar none. I am with you, however, in that nothing you said was extremely offensive or inciting some form of anger. People who don't recognize that, <**> <**> <**> . Please. I mean, come on.

And it is true that each of these corps brings a form of talent to the playing field, whether it be in the visual, the brass, the guard, whatever. Each corps has their strong point, and people need to recognize that. For the USMC, that strong point is just them being what they are, the United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. And in my opinion, those men and (4) women are for the most part, stronger individuals and a better ensemble because of what they have gone through together. They aren't there to be BD or SCV or the Cavies or anything but what they are. The more open-minded people can be about this activity, the better these sorts of discussions will go.

Jeffjetta wants to send me to the souvie area to meet up with the Marines,

He said nothing of the sort.

no i did not. i said if you dont like them go to the souvie area while they were on. the Marines have too much class to beat you....plus they'd be in trouble if they got their uni's dirty

Plus, the Marines, on two-valve G's, can play rings around any other corps out there, IMO.

But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Fran

"USMC":

Two valve BUGLES, great military bearing, incredible "stage presence", and playing MUSIC that most anyone can immediatly recognize, talk about and whistle on their way to their car....

Semper Fi

Elphaba

and playing MUSIC that most anyone can immediatly recognize, talk about and whistle on their way to their car....

Why does the fact that you already know what they're going to play a measure of quality? For every piece of music you know, it was unfamiliar to you at some point. Don't you ever hear a new piece of music and think, "Hey, that's great!" or hear an old familiar tune and think, "Boy, I'm getting tired of that one"? I, for one, don't think that entertainment value is determined by how well you know the music in question before the corps even plays it.

... just a thought.

Why does the fact that you already know what they're going to play a measure of quality?  For every piece of music you know, it was unfamiliar to you at some point.  Don't you ever hear a new piece of music and think, "Hey, that's great!" or hear an old familiar tune and think, "Boy, I'm getting tired of that one"?  I, for one, don't think that entertainment value is determined by how well you know the music in question before the corps even plays it.

... just a thought.

"Tired of...."

To borrow a line from Samuel Johnson: "He who is tired of listening to the USMC Drum Corps is tired of life"......

Semper Fi

Elphaba

Okay, let me just say that members, past and present, of drum corps do see a difference between players and fans. It has nothing to do with being able to read music (many if not most of the old timers cannot). Whatever the reasons, the difference is there.

I personally do like to hear the USMC D&B and all the playing members of corps who I know also like them. I'm guessing that members and fans are looking for and listening to different stuff.

And, don't be p***in' off the Marines. It takes awhile to calm them down.

For the record, I am not a former Marine and I'm sure that Bill O'Reilly would call me a Liberal. On the other hand, I was at Khe Sanh in 67 and 68 with the Seabee Detachment and we have an understanding. Built Khe Sanh in 67 and was there again during the seige. The Seabees had the deepest hole, I kept on hoping we'd dig through to Madison, Wisconsin.

Jeffjetta wants to send me to the souvie area to meet up with the Marines,

He said nothing of the sort.

no i did not. i said if you dont like them go to the souvie area while they were on. the Marines have too much class to beat you....plus they'd be in trouble if they got their uni's dirty

and if you dont like the Marines, go down to the souvie area. i'm sure they'd love to see you