Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

Dynasty drums seem to have become popular in a short period of time, but I'm not a fan. To me, they sound choked off and too dry (especially the tenors). Do people just buy them because Blue Devils use them? I'd really like to hear from the players who march with them. Are you happy with these drums? Are they as sturdy as Pearl, Yamaha and Premier?

I think Dynasty snares SUCK, but their tenors sound real nice. Bill bachman (you can watch vids on vicfirth.com with him) used Dynasty tenors for some of his vids. i guess its just about preference

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played on a set of Dynasty tenors for the first time since like 1997 when they weren't so great. I must say I'm VERY impressed. They have a nice warm tone. They weren't too dry as most sound but that could have been the result because we were using Pinstripes instead of Suedes. Didn't sound as boxy as Blue Devils.

I actually think they sound better than the Yamaha's I played on at Grenadiers.

.......When I was in Reading in 92 we played Dynasty and they were terrible. When I got the tape back from DCAs I couldn't hear a thing that we played.

dynastys have come along way ... but i wouldnt get anything but dynasty tenors personally ...

• 1 month later...
That is a true story, most top 15-17 corps get a free set of drums with a set of horns purchased. True story and someone from PR, if they remember this can tell it. Back in 93/94 Off season PR was going to buy a set of Dynasty Drums, and they wanted a set of Horns for free! Didn't work out, but a heck of an idea!

It's all about sponsorships too, I have no idea why a corps would chose Dynasty of Premier. Premier has a better sounding snare and a great sounding tenor.

I've talked to people that have used Premier and they say it's difficult to get parts from that company. :worthy:

I hope Dynasty drums are good because we are going to use some. :worthy:

• 2 weeks later...

after hearing magic and southwind, i actually liked the sound of the ludwigs. especially the tenors. they were perfect for my taste...i have no idea about the quality though.

• 2 months later...

Oregon Crusaders...we recieved a full new set of drums this last season ('05). I've played on pearl's all my life, love them and they are amazing. Was a bit skeptical about the dynasty's at first but they're not all too bad. The most prominent thing about them is in general they're solid. If for some reason treated badly or dropped you don't have to worry about a whole drum down the drain--this is also good for reefing heads. Never had any problems with shells, rims, lug supports, etc. snapping off. Sound wise, they are just fine. It's all in the 'ear' of the beholder--can't really be argued...if you tune them right to the way you like, in pretty much all cases they can be set up just fine. Not to mention the drum head variable...pinstripes...suades...emperors..and for snares the combination of heads you use along with dampening and the actual snare strand configuration and tightness. BD clips several inner strands of the snare, hence the dryness everyone keeps talking about. I think sound and sturdyness wise dynasty's get the job done just fine. Pearl may have a slight edge over general sound quality/projection, but not by too much if everything is done right--and hey, it also comes down to if you can actually play clean and correctly ;).

On to the negative sides, well I can't bash too much because they are my corps sponsor, and I in no way represent them really, but there isn't too much to say. My only beef was that many of the 'chrome' steel parts were not as strong or rust protectant as I had hoped. Only a few weeks into the season the lugs and harness connector pieces showed very visible rust. Also the lug supports that the actual lug bolt goes into were rusting...making tuning very tough. The snare throw/release also had rust forming inside the knobs, at one point one of them became rust locked so we had to switch it out with one of our extra snares. This is really the only main problem I see in dynasty's is the rust issue, which can be simply fixed by better protection in manufacturing. Thankfully most of these parts are not too expensive, so with some love and new lugs the drums will be good as new, as there are no further problems. The harnesses feel like butt and have minimal padding and adjustments, but oh well, builds character.

Connor

out of curiousity, how does the weight compare btw. Pearl and Dynasty?

top of the line dynasty comes with the double snare...most lines remove these inner parts which is a good 5lbs or so. Even after that they're still rather heavy though, definitely heavier then pearls for all drums. This is because of the thicker shells and extra reinforcement--especially with tenors. Really heavy but doesn't have the one pearl tenor flaw of drums going every which way and wiggling around. Don't know exact weights, but yes, definitely heavier then pearl.

-Connor