Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

Actually Dynasty's shell thickness is the 2nd thinnest shell out of all the top marching percussion companies. Pearl and Yamaha hold the crown for the thickest shell, with Pearl's 6 ply shells being 7.5mm thick. Dynasty's 6 ply shell is only like 5.0mm or 5.2mm thick. Yamaha's plies are equal to their thickness IIRC.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually considering purchasing all brand new Dynasty battery and pit instruments for my newest independent winterline.

B) :master: :)

My $0.02.......

I have played on Yamaha, Pearl, and Dynasty(most recent for 4 years with Gold). I like the sound of the Yamaha snare the most, I dont know what it is, its just something about a clean ping that gets to me.

BUT, the Dynasty drums as a whole arent as bad as people say. Horn deals or not, they are just as good as any other company. BD's sound comes from, previously quoted by a BD snare, bottom falam 2's cranked to ####. If you do that to any drum, it sounds dry and non-existent in a horn arc or on the field. Dynasty Tenors are the best sounding tenors out there, again, my opinion. And if you put some Evans MX5's on the basses, they are beautiful.

Rust is an issue with Dynasty's, but like many have said, they are working on that. We have 4 year old drums. Put some black hardware on them....and....####.

IMO, the best snare tuning setup for Dynasty snares is extra thin plastic on bottom, decently cranked, with a white max on top. Plastic bottoms usually present a wet sound, so spray the guts with laquer and/or tape them on each end about 2 inches in from the rim.

Oh.......And with any drum, to get good sound, you have to play into the head with some balls.

i think dynasty are terrible...especially pit instruments. the keys are dead in about a minute of being out in the sun. the frames weigh at least 400 million pounds. 400 million. the wheels rust in about 2 seconds after being wet, no matter how long you spent drying that crap off. the keys clank each other when you play...yaddah yaddah yaddah bad instruments.

Oh.......And with any drum, to get good sound, you have to play into the head with some balls.

unfourtunately most people don't know how to not be stupid about how they do it...

Don't have much to compare with, but having to deal with Kevlar heads vs. Mylar, and putting heads aside, I think that the quality of sound is desirable if tuned correctly. This will take some time. Dynasty has worked well for the Renegades. I'm new to the arena, but if I can play clean that's what counts!

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the Slingerland snare sound and quality which I played as a kid. When I had my own corps, I was happy with the Pearl drums...Well, I never got the hats and T-shirts they promised me, but the Pearl snares we liked.

Allan Murray, Dynasty VP, is the best manufacturing rep I can think of. He knows corpsdom and he listens. His face pops up all over.

When Empire marched Ludwig, they had a wonderful sound to them, which I liked. More importantly, the drummers liked 'em.

Thanks for letting me lurk my way thru here. Quite educational for me.

I've played on dynasty for a couple of years. If nothing else, the drums are tanks. There's no excess of parts to lose or have fall off, and they seem to take a beating pretty well.

Al Murray is also great when it comes to feedback, and at least in the Drum Corps arena will make appearances at rehearsals for the Dynasty sponsored teams.