1979 Blue Devils versus Phantom Regiment

This next bit of trivia could be folklore or fact, it is alleged those "three blind mice/three stooges" resigned immediately after the show so that they wouldn't have to go to critique. However, they were resignations that lasted only long enough to get them out of Birmingham ALIVE!

While I understand that this may well be something you heard, it would be nice to see this verified as being based in fact, rather than posting it with some vague speculation as to whether it's urban legend. I don't think you do a very good job of supporting your case by spreading something that you acknowledge may well be nothing more than a rumor. If you (or someone else) can verify this, I don't have a problem with it. But until then, I'm going to take this particular conspiracy theory (along with many others) with a grain of salt.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felix:

It's too bad you didn't march Kingsmen 76. I recall seeing them at the Big "V" and was still completely in awe of them. And, you got ripped in 77. That was definately a top 12 show. 17th in marching killed you guys.

I have to say, having Kingsmen in finals would have made it that much more special for me.

Rocketman - 77 rules but ampssuck

While I understand that this may well be something you heard, it would be nice to see this verified as being based in fact, rather than posting it with some vague speculation as to whether it's urban legend. I don't think you do a very good job of supporting your case by spreading something that you acknowledge may well be nothing more than a rumor. If you (or someone else) can verify this, I don't have a problem with it. But until then, I'm going to take this particular conspiracy theory (along with many others) with a grain of salt.

Byline:

Agreed. You know, it's the old "inspite of the dubious nature of the allegation, is the allegation true?" (Thank you democrats) Perhaps those "on staff" that year could enlighten us

Rocketman - conspire away

ampssuck

Felix, to further illustrate the absurdity of 1977, our drum line got a 9.9 in GE? I don't think so. Again, it was the highest GE caption over brass and M&M. WHAT? In reality, at best we should have scored MAYBE a 9.0, and even that is generous considering the comparison of the line the following two years.

Rocketman - Drums 9.9

Visual 9.8

Brass 9.7

ampssuck

Felix, to further illustrate the absurdity of 1977, our drum line got a 9.9 in GE? I don't think so. Again, it was the highest GE caption over brass and M&M. WHAT? In reality, at best we should have scored MAYBE a 9.0, and even that is generous considering the comparison of the line the following two years.

Rocketman - Drums 9.9

Visual  9.8

Brass  9.7

ampssuck

Maybe this should come down to a new poll. Let the DCP audience judge for themselves...I too find it hard to totally discard your recaps and point margins, However, let's let a poll suffice for now and move on.......if the poll leans in your favor we will award you an honorary People's Choice 1979 DCI Finals Champion Trophy and you could enjoy a nights sleep for a change the night before Finals every season........LOL! Just kidding!

There was a saying we had regarding 77......in general....not particular to any corps.......passed down through the years.

OK, so don't leave us hanging. What was it?