Bravo to Glassmen's Flugel Solo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in the activity for quite some time, and I have never heard such a pure, I mean absolutely pure tone. Quarter finals was flawless! Folks, this is the kind of candidate who should be considered for the Hall of Fame. Too many instructors! In the NFL you have more players than coaches represented, and I think DCI should try to follow in their steps, with more performers than instructors. To this young man, BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara Maroney from Garfield in 83-84 had a sound like that. This guy is in good company. Hats off to him. BTW G-men's percussion was off the hook also from opener to closer....My favorite book of the year.

She is hot, I was there and saw both. The simple fact is that no G Mellophone could ever sound as good as that Bb Flugel he played on. I have not heard any professional get that quality of soundn on a flugel. You must remeber the mellophone is not a legitimate instrument, and is only used on the field.

You must remeber the mellophone is not a legitimate instrument, and is only used on the field.

Stan Kenton, were he alive, might disagree with you!

He had a mellophonium section in his big band for many years.

(Maybe that's why Kenton charts work so well on the field. You don't have to arrange them, just transpose them.)

Kevin C's sound was a delight to listen to, and I heard him four times this year. I'd listen to him play whole tones.

A beautiful sound is the most important thing a horn player can have. Kevin has it, and then adds great musicality and technique. I hope we get to hear from him in a senior corps. (There are lots of good jobs and schools in the Twin Cities, Kevin!)

I keep hearing this is one of the highlights of finals, too bad PBS doesn't broadcast down here until Oct. 6th. Is the Glassmen show included in the time slot? I hope so. This kid was great last year, and im sure he has improved. Bravo in advance.

....Man i want to learn flugel....

Glassmen's show is on the broadcast. In fact, Kevin's solo is THE Glassmen segment for the night.