Women in Drum Corps History

In field competition?  I doubt it.  I have pretty substantial documentation of contest results from the era, and I have no record of the Marianettes and Bon Bons ever competing in the same contest.

Audiodb,

Do you have acces to all Penn-Jersey results c. 1959-60? It would likely have been then. You stipulate "field competition". There were many standstills and parade contests as well, as you probably know.

For the record, Audubon stands as the greatest "all girls" corps of all time and that's the point of the comparison. At the '57 Legion Nationals, they finished second in finals to Garfield and ahead of such notables as Blessed Sacrament, St. Kevins, St. Vincent's and the Queensmen, but you already know that.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reviewing this thread, I saw little talk of female DMs in front of mixed gender corps. The Chicago Royal Airs had a female DM at some point, right? At least they had a female DM in their first year as an alumni corps, and I always figured she was an RA alumna.

The female DM who sticks in my head was Blue Rock's DM in the early 70s. I'm having brain lock here - Vicki?? Blue Rock always impressed me as a tough corps, and it must have been one special woman to front such a group.

I'm sure there had to be others...

Edited by Jim Anello

Jim,

I believe it's Vicki Drummond from Blue Rock.

In the early '60s, Barbara Bergdoll conducted St. Kevin's in their wailing rendition of South Rampart Street Parade. She really lit up Roosevelt Stadium at the Dream. She may have been guard captain and stepped out just for that tune. Either way, she was a star. Her dad, Frank, was the arranger (a monster talent), and her brother, Buzzy, was a rippin' good French Horn. I believe he is currently writing for Light Brigade and playing mellophone.

Alice Dobson was the fabulous DM of the Bridgeport PAL in their heyday in the mid-'60s.

• 1 year later...

There were females in 27th's horn line as early as 1975, and possibly before that (LancerLegend?). Patty Sweeney and Barbara Hunt among others were soprano buglers. Patty played the solo in "Jubilation" in 1976. Krista Ferguson and Farmer's sister (name escapes me) were baritones. We also had a female fluglehorn that year.

I.C. Reveries (the "little kids") had females as early as 1968 - my first year marching. We had a great female mellophone - Debbie McAvoy who marched many years with us.

Also, our drum majors were ALWAYS female. Joan Duval in 1968 and (I think) 1969, followed by TJ Doucette, who went on to teach Blue Devils for many many years.

[ My hubby wants to know he thought she was the one who got picked to not wear underwear on finals ( another tradition) is this true?

We all went Oobie at all the major DCI shows not just finals. Trust me I know I was the "pecker-checker".

We used to put your undies in a drum case ant then I would go around and confirm all had participated.

PS...wool itches b**bs

[ My hubby wants to know he thought she was the one who got picked to not wear underwear on finals ( another tradition) is this true?

We all went Oobie at all the major DCI shows not just finals. Trust me I know I was the "pecker-checker".

We used to put your undies in a drum case ant then I would go around and confirm all had participated.

PS...wool itches b**bs

Certain female mellophone and baritone were also designated "oobie" checkers, as they could see the reflection by holding there horn's bell under the kilt. (Patsy would have KILLED them!!!!) ^0^

I don't believe the Blue Devils were ever sexist against females. I marched from '74 to '77. Bonnie Ott was our mellophone soloist, and there were other ladies in the horn line. Bobbie Del Costello was in our snare line. We did discriminate the other way, however. Males were not in the color guard for a number of years.

The best example I can think of for women with huge impacts on drum corps would be Sandra Opie and the Argonne Rebels horn line. Someone should speak on her behalf.

Bonnie Ott, Sandra Opie, Marcia Hansen, Kristi Spears and the list can go on and on.