Your Favorite Drum Line - 1970's

Who was your favorite drum line in the 70's?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite drum line in the 70's?

• Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Stars
    • 27th Lancers
    • Bridgemen
    • Freelancers
    • Cavaliers
    • Kilties
    • Purple Lancers
    • Oakland Crusaders
    • Troopers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Guardsmen
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Muchachos
    • Other

I like SCV and BD but I am going with Oakland Crusaders

If I forgot yours, I am sorry.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, based on the amount of time my buddies and I spent playing along with "Channel One Suite" I'm gonna have to represent for BD!!!!! :worthy:

Gotta vote for my Oakies! B)

Nothing in the 70's can beat Young Person's Guide. IMHO

BOSTON HAD A VERY HOT DRUM LNE IN THE EARLY 70s, SO TOO DID BLESSED SACRAMENT. CRUSADERS WERE AMONG THE FIRST TO CARRY TYMPS AND VIBES ON THE FIELD. SAC HAD TWO RUDAMENTAL BASSES THAT KICKED ###.

CAVIES WERE USUALLY THE STANDARD BY WHICH ALL WERE JUDGED.

MY OWN CORPS, MAGNIFICENT YANKEES, HAD A HOT LINE -- THREE STRAIGHT HIGH DRUMS IN NYS LEGION CHAMP (THAT INCLUDES BEATING ST. JOES). WE JUST MISSED BEATING CAVIES FOR THE SILVER DRUM AT THE A.L. NATIONALS IN CHICAGO IN 1972.

OK so call me a "homer" but I voted for the Green Machine. That was a pretty talented drumline especially in 76. My legit reason for voting them as favorite was the commitment on the part of the instructional staff (Spaulding and Rousell) to push the envelope of difficulty and execution. Those guys refused to compromise their standards to bow to what the judges were digging.

As to other favorites I always liked Kingsmen and 27th Lancers and thought the Blue Stars lines were pretty underrated. There were a lot of good lines back then and each one did things that put a smile on my face when I listen to old recordings. Sure wish the current crop of kids with their talent level had meatier stuff to play (battery parts).

If this was a poll about percussion arranging then SCV gets my vote no question.

I'm glad Pete mentioned the Anaheim Kingsmen. IMHO, Don Porter Jr. is underappreciated. He should be getting more accolades along with Sanford and DeLucia. SCV is tops for me with Kingsmen running a close second--Kingsmen should be on that list.