How did Santa Clara win in 89?

I'm not going to pass judgement, but I will say this -- how many of the people complaining that SCV should not have won were there in Kansas City on the night of DCI Open Class Finals? Can you really determine that one corps was or was not 0.4 better than another by watching them on DVD or video tape?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why SCV won:

“Phantom of the Opera” is/was one of the best shows for drum corps! SCV had the edge in GE.

SCV’ horn line (however not the best of the evening) was much stronger than ’88 and had stronger impact points in the show. Although I liked the show concept of ’88 better than ’89, the corps was just so much stronger/better in ’89.

SCV was undefeated (minus the concord show) for the year. There’s that whole psychological thing that SCV won every show going into finals and beat Phantom every time. (It’s that slotting thing. You may not agree, but it is subjectively there and you have to deal with it).

Although there are some moments on the video where the percussion did not look their best, the percussion section was by far the most dominant section all year.

Why Phantom lost:

Never beat SCV during the year. Although not a requirement, it does not hurt to beat your competitor at least once during the year, especially when you are going up against a corps that was destined to win.

The Blues/Jazz section that totally desecrated Dvorak’s work left a very bad taste with many people (including some judges that told Phantom they should change that part of the show. Just like in the late seventies when judges made suggestions on how to improve their show, their arrogant staff would not change anything, thus another second place. You have to know how to play the political game with the judges (see Blue Devils)). This act of tacky, tasteless, disgraceful, repugnant, disgusting, awful writing should have given them a 0 in GE. They should be thankful that they ended in second place. Now the above statement may be a bit harsh, but it is there to illustrate that there was some controversy about use of the blues/jazz section.

Fifth place in drums!

The Blues/Jazz section that totally desecrated Dvorak’s work ...

I had no idea it was "sacred" to begin with.

addendum -- after reading that post again ... I mean, wow! That is totally a new low in elitism. <<This act of tacky, tasteless, disgraceful, repugnant, disgusting, awful writing should have given them a 0 in GE. >> Give me a freakin' break. I thought it was actually pretty decent. Where's the rule that says you have to play everything straight? It's just music, for Pete's sake. That melody has been played in a wide variety of ways over the years, right? So what? You really need to get down to your local record store and find some recordings of various jazz and swing bands playing revamped versions of orchestral tunes. Expand your mind.

Edited by Orpheus

Just like in the late seventies when judges made suggestions on how to improve their show, their arrogant staff would not change anything, thus another second place. 

And you know this because.................................

Rocketman - I was there, were you?

ampssuck

I'm not going to pass judgement, but I will say this -- how many of the people complaining that SCV should not have won were there in Kansas City on the night of DCI Open Class Finals?  Can you really determine that one corps was or was not 0.4 better than another by watching them on DVD or video tape?

side 2, 44 yard line, 30 rows up

I personally feel that SCV had the show finals night. I really like both shows but it was SCV's on finals night. They had that thing that you always want to feel when you're in uniform, the thing where everything just clicks.

I don't think I could disagree more. I'd say thier finals performance was thier worst of the week whereas, finals certainly was PR's best.

Rocketman - ??????

ampssuck

I'll elaborate a bit more.

Phantom 89, for me, was like Phantom 96 for many...you lost sense of time. the perofmance sucked you in...the power and the passion.

SCV wasnt as good as 88 as an overall show...many to this day contend SCV should have been gone due to the overage controversy. I see their point as well as SCV's.

Phantoms drums..well, ok they weren't all that. SCV's had some audible dirt as well.

However, how SCV got some of those visual numbers with members bumping into each other at finals in amazing.

GE...IMO, a tie. both shows pulled our hearts.

Phantom by .3 on brass and visual.

In the 1989 "All over the place" Championship Week:Blue Devils

CG:9th Quarters/7th Finals

Visual: 7th-Quarters/4th SF/5th Finals

Brass:2nd Quarters (hey, we beat SCV) 5th SF/3rd--Finals (don't agree

with that even without the Sop Flop) (Cadets/Scouts tied for 7th in this caption)

In the "ouch" category :sshh: :

Dutch Boy Percussion: 17th Quarters/17th Finals--effectively knocking them

out of Finals. 1990 FINALLY" gets them in after finishing 13th in 88/89.

Go "worthless tidbits" Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp: :OT: