How did Santa Clara win in 89?

Second, many people felt that SCV actually should have won in 88 and that 89 was their payback.

I know you just wrote how many people feel about 88 and 89, and this may sometimes happen and it stinks! If it is so it's a huge flaw in the system!

I don't believe there should ever be a thing called "payback" in drum corps from year to year....80 to 81 also comes to mind. It's just mindblowing!

Although I don't know what other people think about 81, and I didn't go to corpsreps to look at the scores thruout that year, I hope that wasn't payback as well!

Somehow I'm hoping that the judges did their job and believed that SCV was the best both of these years. It would be a shame if it was not that way! :( Although 88/89 is a little bit hard to swallow with the score difference, which seems small, but is huge when vying for "the title".

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I went to corpsreps and looked at 81 because I did not remember scoring. SCV seemed to be ahead from the middle of the season on, and were not that far behind at the beginning. So there really was not a huge fluctuation when it comes to scoring.

Unless I missed something that was totally blatant, it seems consistency was the order for that year!

I'm not sure if people believe that was the best show of the year, but the judging community sure did!

Edited by LancerFi

I know to a lot of people it matters a whole lot. But to me and so many other people its not even about the scores, it's about the great music and the product that the corps put out onto the feild.

And in the end, you still bought phantoms souvies and the 89 legacy dvd to further concrete your point that phantom should have one. So didnt everyone win, when you think about it?

I know to a lot of people it matters a whole lot.  But to me and so many other people its not even about the scores, it's about the great music and the product that the corps put out onto the feild.

And what a product that was. To me, mistakes and all, that show evokes such emotions ranging from goosebumps, choke-ups, tears, and huge smiles that make '89 Vanguard the best show I've ever seen. It is the complete package from an outstanding arrangement, color guard (the moment where the guard is crouched, then rises displaying the ribboned black flag chokes me up, and I'm not a guard person at all), to the powerfull, powerfull company front (not completely sync'd visually, but the snare player bobbing his head shows me complete immersion and intensity with the moment). Just a beautiful, beautiful show--and magic, too.

--Scott

And what a product that was.  To me, mistakes and all, that show evokes such emotions ranging from goosebumps, choke-ups, tears, and huge smiles that make '89 Vanguard the best show I've ever seen.  It is the complete package from an outstanding arrangement, color guard (the moment where the guard is crouched, then rises displaying the ribboned black flag chokes me up, and I'm not a guard person at all), to the powerfull, powerfull company front (not completely sync'd visually, but the snare player bobbing his head shows me complete immersion and intensity with the moment).  Just a beautiful, beautiful show--and magic, too.   

--Scott

Well, they chose perfect music to evoke those kinds of feelings.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about Phantom's percussion section, doh >.<

Edited by Dance Of Vengeance

Just a question for everyone... If Phantom did win in 89, would that take away some of the mystique from the show? Same goes for 87 Santa Clara, 93 Star, etc.

Would your opinion of the show change any, or would you have a different mind set while watching the DVD?

I myself thought Phantom should have won that year as well. Until 1996, Phantom was always the best corps never to win and 1989 just added to that. I guess that's one of the reasons Phantom was (and still is) one of my favorites.

"JUDGES, ARE YOU WATCHING!!!"

I myself thought Phantom should have won that year as well.  Until 1996, Phantom was always the best corps never to win and 1989 just added to that.  I guess that's one of the reasons Phantom was (and still is) one of my favorites.

"JUDGES, ARE YOU WATCHING!!!"

Yes Yes. Good post!

In quarterfinals the scores were originally given as PR first with 96.9 and SCV second with 96.8. Then a few minutes later an announcement was made that a penalty had been removed from SCV and their were in first with a 97.0. It would be interesting to know what might have happened if the original quarterfinals scores hadn't been changed. Would winning quaters have fired Phantom up and help them surge on to win Finals, and/or likewise would losing quarterfinals have pushed SCV to do even better - or make them feel vulnerable - and make them possibly look more vulnerable in the judges eyes? All speculation.