How did Santa Clara win in 89?

SCV's '89 show is, to me personally, one of the most compelling shows I have ever heard. Its not only the music, the orchestration, and the execution, its just the feeling the show has. In the company front during music of the night, you can almost, I don't even know how to describe it, but you can feel the members making this final push. It must have been amazing to be on the field for that show that night.

Phantom's show just doesn't feel as special to me. This is just my personal feelings on the shows, as both were wonderful, and honestly, it could have gone either way.

Percussion does tip it towards Vanguard though.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always looked at '89 as my all-time favorite Phantom show. I can't really say that about Vanguard, that would go to '82 or '85. To be honest I never really cared much who won that year, I was having too much fun watching some fantastic Drum Corps and would have been happy either way it went. Although I was kind or pulling for Phantom, mostly because they were indeed the best Corps never to win at that point. Let's not foget the near misses back in '78 & '79, but I also thought it was kind of fun to see SCV win after coming in 2nd four years in a row by some pretty tight scores as well if memory serves. Also, I'd like to ask a question that's a little off topic but not enough to start a new thread. I just heard for the first time the '00 Devils "field show", I say field show because I've always had the State of the Art recording and love that show. The question is what in the world is that guy yelling right in the middle of "Vertigo"?! Listened to it more than a couple times and for life of me can't figure it out.

I recall from the 89 broadcast that phantom played on stage with an orchestra or some other performing group during finals week... emphasizing their symphonic sound. Does anyone know who they were playing with?

I still prefer phantom of the opera from '88 over '89.

Kansas City Symphony, as I recall...

And I agree with the 88 vs 89 choice (heck, even my wife does, and she's not a corps fan!)

Re Regiment...the perc score did hurt...but it IS possible to win if the other captions are either overwhelming or close enough to make it a crap shoot.

84...BD/Garfield...Perc BD, GE Garf (same differance in relative score9/10th either way...a wash...but while BD won drums, Garfield was in 7th place in percussion). Brass: 3 way tie (BD/SCV/Garf...we're still tied here). M&M...tie (SCV/Garf...BD 1/10th back, and that's where BD lost it)

The point? SC and PR were really close all the way around...except in drums...

Also, I'd like to ask a question that's a little off topic but not enough to start a new thread.  I just heard for the first time the '00 Devils "field show", I say field show because I've always had the State of the Art recording and love that show.  The question is what in the world is that guy yelling right in the middle of "Vertigo"?!  Listened to it more than a couple times and for life of me can't figure it out.

Isn't that "Frank is an American bad ###"??

Kansas City Symphony is correct, and I was lucky enough to be there. The orchestra did a short program alone, then PR came in from the side (hornline only), and they did "Elsas". The looks on the faces of the strings when 68 horns got up to FFF was priceless!

then, Phantom did a standstill of their show with percussion (outside). A great memory!

I recall from the 89 broadcast that phantom played on stage with an orchestra or some other performing group during finals week... emphasizing their symphonic sound. Does anyone know who they were playing with?

I still prefer phantom of the opera from '88 over '89.

Two things to note on that.

First, 89 was a year when DCI experimented with a random draw performance order (I think it was flighted with 2 groups) for finals which resulted in some strange scores and placements.

Second, many people felt that SCV actually should have won in 88 and that 89 was their payback.

1988 was the year that the random draw performance order was tried, and discarded afterwards. Just that season.

Appreciate the compliment about the 88 show, though :)

1989 Recaps

Quarterfinals

1. Vanguard  97.0

2. Regiment 96.9

Semi-Finals

1. Vanguard  98.2

2. Regiment  96.9

Finals

1. Vanguard 98.8

2. Regiment 98.4

Go Devils,

Gregg