Where's Ludwig?

Although I have nothing against the newer "toppy" sound of marching snare's of today, there was nothing like the old solid sound of the snares that ruled the late 70's and early 80's. Ludwig and Slingerland were the kings of their day, and they dominted the corps world just like Yamaha and Pearl do now. I know that Slingerland was a smaller company that is not even in the recording world any more. But what happened to Ludwig? Did they not want to make the changes? Did Yamaha and Pearl push them out? Where they bought out by a company that put their quality down the toilet? I know that they still make marching percussion, but you would need to hire a detctive to find them, and then, what would they sound like?

:whistle:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I saw Ludwig marching percussion was this past season at a high school marching band competition. West Chester University has a full line of them. They were doing an exhibition and they sounded good. They have a unique look about them too.

I think Spirit and Boston were the last corps to use Ludwigs. Boston converted in '99, and I think Spirit was in... 2000? I'd heard that they'd given up on the marching market, but I'm not sure why.

Slingerland was pretty well out the door even before free floaters came along - I don't know what their story was... :(

Mike

Where's Ludwig???

1728 N. Damen Avenue

Chicago, IL 60647

No reason to go there unless you're lookin' for a 2-bedroom with Corian countertops in the kitchen...(the old Ludwig factory on Damen went condo 15-20 years ago).:P

I pass by the old Ludwig plant every once in awhile going through the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood, and can't help but remember when a high school kid could drop by unannounced and be taken on a tour of the facility by Bill Ludwig II (happend to me). The old Slingerland plant on Milwaukee Ave in Niles is now a janitorial supply warehouse, which is even sadder. Superdawg, I'm pleased to say, is still there (and still has carhops!).

In terms of the two formerly big names in percussion, Ludwig is still around (in North Carolina), making lots of student drums, some decent quality Maple sets, and importing some Taiwanese "feh" with their name on it. They were bought by Selmer in the early 80s, and once the family lost control, the bean counters took over, and R&D all but completely stopped, particularly on the marching end of things.

Slingerland got out of marching altogether following their deal with the Bridgemen in '82 (83?), while the company was sliding into bankruptcy. They're owned by Gibson these days, and focusing on VERY expensive sets made in Conway, Arkansas. I've taken a look, but don't see anything in the new drums to make me want to sell my Pearl Masters (or get rid of any of my vintage Slingerlands or custom-built sets).

Fwiw, Uncle Z and I were unwitting dupes in the Japanese plot to take over the marching percussion world, having both been in Cavaliers in '81 when we dumped Slingerland for Pearl halfway through the season. Who knew?...(and if I had, I probably would've tried to buy my 14" TDR before they all went back to the factory for refurbishing).

Edited by mobrien

Slingerland used to be at 6633 N. Milwaukee Ave. Niles, IL 60648........

just a few blocks away from Superdawg!!!!! :whistle:

www.superdawg.com

header_main.jpg

I need me a hot dawg!!!!!!!

Chicago-style, please!!!! :P

menu_menu_r8_c9_f2.jpg

Does that come with the hot sauce?

mmmmmmm

animated.gif