What Corps Sparked Your Interest

Funny....the drum corps that sparked my interest was a small, local corps where I grew up in Rockland County, NY. That corps was the Pearl River Cadets. I saw them at a parade in celebration of our nation's Bicentennial. I was just finishing my freshman year in high school and loved band and marching in parades. When I saw the PR Cadets I thought "I could do that....". Two weeks later, I joined the corps down the road....the Commanders from New City, NY.

Through my instructors with the Commanders I then discovered the Caballeros and the Sunrisers....my whole future changed. One saturday afternoon in August of 1976, I came into the house after riding my bike, turned on the television and stumbled upon the DCI Finals Broadcast from Philadelphia, PA. Cool...drum corps on tv!!! That's how the drum corps bug bit me and bit me hard in the summer of '76. I'll never forget it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first corps i saw was the 1992 cadets to tame the perlious skies. It trip me out at first when i saw no trombones, but i have never heard brass sound that good and then when they rotated the airplane shape they made just got me hooked.

Saw my first show in TN in 1978.... I remember seeing Bridgemen, the "Offensive Lions" and Spirit. I'm sure there were some others at that show, but I don't remember who they were.

Thought it was cool and started watching for the PBS broadcast etc..... Figured I could never do anything like that, those guys were "pro's".

When was I Hooked ?

Legion Field, 1980...... I decided that night in those stands that somehow, someway, I would march in that corps and play in that hornline.....

20 plus years and several different corps later... drum corps is still in the blood.....

Later, AA

St Ignatius for me....yeah, yeah I know what your thinking b**bs b**bs

but actually St Iggies is my parish. They practiced down the street from my house and I used to lie in bed and listen to them when I was little. I had been playing since I was little but never put the two together. Besides I had no knowledge that boys did this drum corps thing. I eventually met some people through marching band and joined the LI Kingsmen. From there on to the Bridgemen and a life of drum corps.

but I still hold a special place for those very cute! but very tough young ladies that I called my friends.

Scene: Our band room

Date: Circa 1990

Occurrance: Our band teacher puts in a video showing us the marching style we were going for. He puts the tape and then I see the 1988 Madison Scouts championship performance. What a thing of beauty. I remember thinking, that guy on the triangle is sure intense!!! You know what I'm talking about if you've watched that show ever.

I never made it to a show though until 1993 when I was at Drum Beauty in Blaine, MN. Top corps in the show were:

Santa Clara Vanguard

Madison Scouts

and....Star of Indiana :)

That was probably the best non-regional show I've been to. 96 was pretty good too at Drum Beauty with Bluecoats, Crossmen, Madison, and Blue Devils (who barely ever play in MN)

The corps that really hooked me in was mid 70s Skyliners. Used to watch the horn line practice at the DCA show we sponsored at Carlisle, PA. A bunch of bad-###ed looking men playing some bad-###ed sounding music. Music NOT for the faint of heart.

I'd repeat some of the things I heard at their practice but I'd be banned for a few days. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

My high school band director was a big Spirit fan and SCV fan so he had us play "Send in the Clowns" and all kinds of "Spirit" in the late 70's early 80's songs, like "Georgia" and "Let it be Me" etc, we were a mini drum corps! :) :worthy: But we were a great band, so I would say that watching Spirit, SCV and Bridgemen got me and then something about seeing 27 live, just "WOW"....you know? B)

The junior corps that impressed me most first was early 70's or so Troopers(when they won DCI-I just can't remember year) I just could NOT believe that kids could march and play that well. The other DCI corps were great but something about them....followed closely by 27th...man was I hooked.