You May Be An Old Phart if...

YMBAOP if you go to this site and listen to ALL the tunes:

http://www.screamtrumpet.com/index.html

you know.......just 'cuz. :P

Thanks for that site z. I put it right on my favorite list.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember "Telstar" from RI? They wore orange uniforms and their drum solo was that song "Popcorn".

You're an old Phart if you remember:

"Runners" - corps members (usually color guard) who would bring the score sheets to the tabulator.

Salutors - (not sure what they were called) I got to do this at our home show one year. Two corps members sat on the fifty yard line in folding chairs just off the side-lines and saluted the American Flag as it passed, or came up the fifty during color presentation.

Rumors - "Someone from St. Patrick's drill team stabbed herself with her sabre!!"

"The T&P judge had a real bullet in his gun and shot someone from the Don Juans!!"

Remember "pettie pants"??

Remember the girl in the American section of some corps from the mid-west (I think) whose pettie pants fell down? There was a picture in Drum Corps News of the other girls in the American section pulling them back up!

What was the "trailing" penalty?? It had something to do with the pistol (!!) or other American section members marching behind the American Flag instead of side-by-side.

Rims were cranked below the shell

drum majors counted off

drum majors had personality

drum solos were actually a whole song

there were more judges to hit with a drum

the closest thing to a doctor beat was someone banging on a cowbell

if you have no clue what sebelious . finale, or pyware is

if you ever switched the first letters of company front...

had to work saturday mornings at paper and bottle drives

the kids now call you old school

you had long hair or were overweight...

had to go through "initiation"

last but not least.. you know your an old phart if you wouldn't drop a plug (or wooden) nickel for tickets to a junior corp show today

I drove lots of people to practice in my 1967 bel Air Station wagon..

ok..I like to play.."Name that corps colors"

inspection lines... ( before the tall black boots) we wore gold short boots and had to spray paint them before each show...

we also owned 5 blue busses..everyone owned painted school busses.

We had a contra player from Surfers in 27, His name was Bobby P.

I remember losing to Surfers by .1 ( for 14th ) place when I was in Regal Crownsmen. at Class B world Open in 69/70. The preliminary competitions were so big back then. Busses and trucks everywhere. The competition started early in the morning and as the corps performed they would post your score and current placement on a black board.

The Surfers were Blue and Gold for the most part, right?

The Crownsmen were Green and White and during parades we had to wear these giant peacock like things on the back of our crowns. People used to call us the peacocks. Some think the chime cage was heavy. Try carrying a tri-tom with that large plumage on the back of your head, upgrade, into the wind for a 5 mile parade.

Does anyone remember those feathers the Crownsmen wore? Or am I too old for even this thread?

drum majors counted off

drum majors had personality

Of course a DM has personalities, they just don't have an onfield personality. DMs in the olden days were actually just as entertaining to watch as the corps themselves. Today they are just human metronomes.

Anyone remember "Telstar" from RI? They wore orange uniforms and their drum solo was that song "Popcorn".

You're an old Phart if you remember:

"Runners" - corps members (usually color guard) who would bring the score sheets to the tabulator.

Salutors - (not sure what they were called) I got to do this at our home show one year. Two corps members sat on the fifty yard line in folding chairs just off the side-lines and saluted the American Flag as it passed, or came up the fifty during color presentation.

Rumors - "Someone from St. Patrick's drill team stabbed herself with her sabre!!"

"The T&P judge had a real bullet in his gun and shot someone from the Don Juans!!"

Remember "pettie pants"??

Remember the girl in the American section of some corps from the mid-west (I think) whose pettie pants fell down? There was a picture in Drum Corps News of the other girls in the American section pulling them back up!

What was the "trailing" penalty?? It had something to do with the pistol (!!) or other American section members marching behind the American Flag instead of side-by-side.

Regal Crownsmen had a poem about the Telstars. " There once was a corp from Woonsocket....."

Ok - I'll play.

I dislocated my knee at rehearsal many years ago.

I know I'm an old phart because a couple of years ago I dislocated my other knee getting up off the couch!

:doh:

We had a contra player from Surfers in 27, His name was Bobby P.

I remember losing to Surfers by .1 ( for 14th ) place when I was in Regal Crownsmen. at Class B world Open in 69/70. The preliminary competitions were so big back then. Busses and trucks everywhere. The competition started early in the morning and as the corps performed they would post your score and current placement on a black board.

The Surfers were Blue and Gold for the most part, right?

The Crownsmen were Green and White and during parades we had to wear these giant peacock like things on the back of our crowns. People used to call us the peacocks. Some think the chime cage was heavy. Try carrying a tri-tom with that large plumage on the back of your head, upgrade, into the wind for a 5 mile parade.

Does anyone remember those feathers the Crownsmen wore? Or am I too old for even this thread?

Yes the Surfers wore blue and gold..

I had petty pants and may still have them somewhere here!

Yes..prelims were an all day thing..the year we won (71) we didn't find out later in the day whether we made finals that had to be performed that evening. No cells..just staioning someone at the stadium who dorve back to the housing site..and in Lynn it was Pickering Jr High. That year we were housed with the CMCC Warriors! What fun!

Hmm I remember something about peacock feather things.not sure why tho.

ahh, judges were everywhere they shouldn't be. I hit one with my flag...he scooted the other way only to bump him again... ^0^

Hey Surfers71,

Did you know Scotty Stannard, Jim Pero, and Peter Plez (sp?). They were all Surfers prior to becoming 27th Lancer snare drummers. I still see Scott and Jim annually.

Great Guys !!!!

John

Edited by john2780