You May Be An Old Phart if...

First one to the equipment truck gets their choice...

LOL, I used to ride to practice in the equipment truck as the guy who drove it lived only a few miles away. Which mean I had to help load it after practice :( Remember the crappy black cases that looked like thick construction paper with handles. :worthy:

#1 rule for the equipment truck was TGIF - Tymps Go In First (then try to find room for everything else)

You may be an old phart if.... your equipment truck only had 4 wheels (ours was an old refrigerated panel truck ca 1970).

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, I used to ride to practice in the equipment truck as the guy who drove it lived only a few miles away. Which mean I had to help load it after practice  :(  Remember the crappy black cases that looked like thick construction paper with handles.  :worthy:

#1 rule for the equipment truck was TGIF - Tymps Go In First (then try to find room for everything else)

You may be an old phart if.... your equipment truck only had 4 wheels (ours was an old refrigerated panel truck ca 1970).

b**bs I hope that wasn't the old powder blue one that Bennie kept in the barn. It had a painted corpsman on the side...what a gem that was. b**bs

LOL, I used to ride to practice in the equipment truck as the guy who drove it lived only a few miles away. Which mean I had to help load it after practice  :(  Remember the crappy black cases that looked like thick construction paper with handles.  :wub:

:worthy:

Hey Jim!

We used to have a 1970 Ford Econoline Van that used to carry the tymps and the trips and occasionally the contras..talk about jamming stuff into a small area!

The only nice thing is that the van was red, with really neat mag wheels on it. Made it neat to see in parades.

We then graduated to an old Chevy StepVan, and we had one that kept having the brakes go out..I almost slid into a semi one night on a snowy road enroute to my graveyard shift job..Talk about scary!

Pat

:sshh:

Craig/Pat,

When I started in '74 Bennie had a light blue pickup truck with a cap on the back. Somehow he crammed all the crap, err percusion equipment, in the back. God only knows how he did it. The next was the size of a small bread truck that used to be refridgerated. The fridge pieces were taken out but the insulated wallk were so thick the inside was a lot smaller than expected. The drum line grew over the years and by '79 God only knows how he fit all the pieces in again. You learned to stand to the side when you opened the back doors because sometimes stuff would fall out. Best part was the cab of this truck. The only seat was for the driver so Bennie put a big metal trunk down for two of us to sit on. Think his response to any complaint was "What??? You have something to sit on, what's the problem?"

Yeah some of my favorite memories are riding around in that blue beast.

PS - Contras had to take their horns home. "I don't have room for all that!"

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

:worthy:

YES!

Nothing better than sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in the front of one of those trucks..I think ours was a bread truck too.

Imagine what it would have been like to have an old UPS Package 'Car' with the skylight roofs..Now, THAT would be scary!!

Pat

:) :)

b**bs I remember them. Do you remember the Warren Cornplanters? :P

:worthy: They're not in my "Brain Matter" (whats left of it,anyway...)

"The REBELS",from Milwaukee...

"The TRI-COUNTY Cadets"? (They were from Ohio,and their uniforms were

"Farm Wear"...on the flags were pictures of "chickens,cows,and pigs"...

And of course,who could EVER forget The Delasalle Oaklands(sp?) from Toronto?

(Before they became The Oakland Crusaders...)

OR "BLUE ROCK"??? :wub:

:worthy:  They're not in my "Brain Matter" (whats left of it,anyway...)

"The REBELS",from Milwaukee...

"The TRI-COUNTY Cadets"? (They were from Ohio,and their uniforms were

"Farm Wear"...on the flags were pictures of "chickens,cows,and pigs"...

And of course,who could EVER forget The Delasalle Oaklands(sp?) from Toronto?

(Before they became The Oakland Crusaders...)

OR "BLUE ROCK"??? :wub:

:wub: How about the Belvederes from Schukyill Haven...Or the Bucktail Regiment from Emporium :wub:

:worthy: How about the Belvederes from Schukyill Haven...Or the Bucktail Regiment from Emporium :wub:

YES,I do remember the "BUCKTAIL REGIMENT"...It seems like drumcorps "started" in the EAST,and spread accross the nation,to the West Coast.

But,in this "PC" era,lets give the Ladies their credit...

"The CAPITOLAIRES" from Madison...

"The VENTURES" from Kitchner?(I think) Maybe "DUTCH BOY" would know...

"St.Thereasa's Little Flowers"...(somewhere out East?)

"The JEANETTE'S"...The list is probably "endless";But,at this stage,I'm at a bit of a loss...

Thank You to ALL the young Ladies,who marched in the "All Girl Divison"! (I don't

think that drum corps would be where it is today,without their contribution...)

And,speaking of the "East Coast"...There was the "Powerhouse" of ST.KEVINS...

The ORIGINAL "Blessed SAC",and I thought I saw a mention of the "BEVERLY CARDINALS"... (Those indeed were some of drumcorps history's finest days...)

MORE "rememberies" as they pop-in to the "ol' Melon"... DANIEL B)