You May Be An Old Phart if...

YES,I do remember the "BUCKTAIL REGIMENT"...It seems like drumcorps "started" in the EAST,and spread accross the nation,to the West Coast.

But,in this "PC" era,lets give the Ladies their credit...

"The CAPITOLAIRES" from Madison...

"The VENTURES" from Kitchner?(I think) Maybe "DUTCH BOY" would know...

"St.Thereasa's Little Flowers"...(somewhere out East?)

"The JEANETTE'S"...The list is probably "endless";But,at this stage,I'm at a bit of a loss...

Thank You to ALL the young Ladies,who marched in the "All Girl Divison"! (I don't

think that drum corps would be where it is today,without their contribution...)

And,speaking of the "East Coast"...There was the "Powerhouse" of ST.KEVINS...

The ORIGINAL "Blessed SAC",and I thought I saw a mention of the "BEVERLY CARDINALS"... (Those indeed were some of drumcorps history's finest days...)

MORE "rememberies" as they pop-in to the "ol' Melon"...    DANIEL B)

The Norwood Deb's { all Young Ladies corps} won three world opens

in a row ? and were taught by some St. Kevin’s Legends

as well as some BAC, and Blue Rock Greats, back in

the sixties.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES,I do remember the "BUCKTAIL REGIMENT"...It seems like drumcorps "started" in the EAST,and spread accross the nation,to the West Coast.

But,in this "PC" era,lets give the Ladies their credit...

"The CAPITOLAIRES" from Madison...

"The VENTURES" from Kitchner?(I think) Maybe "DUTCH BOY" would know...

"St.Thereasa's Little Flowers"...(somewhere out East?)

"The JEANETTE'S"...The list is probably "endless";But,at this stage,I'm at a bit of a loss...

Thank You to ALL the young Ladies,who marched in the "All Girl Divison"! (I don't

think that drum corps would be where it is today,without their contribution...)

And,speaking of the "East Coast"...There was the "Powerhouse" of ST.KEVINS...

The ORIGINAL "Blessed SAC",and I thought I saw a mention of the "BEVERLY CARDINALS"... (Those indeed were some of drumcorps history's finest days...)

MORE "rememberies" as they pop-in to the "ol' Melon"...    DANIEL B)

I have a couple more....

The Mello-dears from Owego, NY

The Emerald Grenadears from Rockaway, NJ

Arbella from Salem, MA (?)

--you know what the following acronyms stand for: RCA, GCI, CCI, UOJC, CSJA, DATR and DCMW

--you had subscriptions to Drum Corps News, Drum Corps World, Drum Corps Digest AND Drum Corps America

/quote]

:worthy:

Shame on you Z !

You forgot PSI as part of your acromyms. Connie Mixdorf would be very angry!!

Pat

:P :P

Hey Pat--

She'd really be ticked off now........her first name was ANNE. :P

You played your horn with your right thumb and left forefinger. :worthy:

Some of us were all thumbs. :P

LOL, the old "should the rotor be played with the thumb or finger" argument. :P

My last year we played "Granda Smoothie" for concert which had a great 16th note run to start the chart. The new asst horn instructor noticed some of us Baris playing rotor with our thumb and started telling us how using the finger was better. He then went to "prove" it by having the "thumb players" do the GS run individually to show how sloppy it sounded........

Every one of us played it perfect and his jaw dropped. Then we clued him in that we played the same chart last year so we had plenty of practice on the run. ^0^

LOL, the old "should the rotor be played with the thumb or finger" argument.  :P

My last year we played "Granda Smoothie" for concert which had a great 16th note run to start the chart. The new asst horn instructor noticed some of us Baris playing rotor with our thumb and started telling us how using the finger was better. He then went to "prove" it by having the "thumb players" do the GS run individually to show how sloppy it sounded........

Every one of us played it perfect and his jaw dropped. Then we clued him in that we played the same chart last year so we had plenty of practice on the run. ^0^

:sshh: Or all thumbs, back when horizontal two valves were around, and yes I remember valve and slide bugles, also. b**bs

Great thread!

You may be an old pharte if you can remember snare drums that sounded great and could actually be HEARD!

Oh, and serious rudiments, a tick system, and judges who had an ear for an error!

You remember M&M, GE, parades before shows, ten pound rifles, no music majors in the corps, color pre, off the line, concerts, closers, inspections, NOT being on PBS or having a video of your shows, local participation and local support, and when the Midwest ruled!

But most of all, you're probably an old pharte if you're in this thread and don't really understand or recognize today's drum corps scene (and dare I add not even attend shows anymore?) - and concur on the "each corps had its own individual personality/identity" as well!

Edited by RobH

:worthy:  They're not in my "Brain Matter" (whats left of it,anyway...)

"The REBELS",from Milwaukee...

"The TRI-COUNTY Cadets"?

NOPE!!!  They were the Tri-Town Cadets from New York, near Batavia.

(They were from Ohio,and their uniforms were

"Farm Wear"...on the flags were pictures of "chickens,cows,and pigs"...

And of course,who could EVER forget The Delasalle Oaklands(sp?) from Toronto?

(Before they became The Oakland Crusaders...)

OR "BLUE ROCK"??? :wub: