Favorite Drum Corps Personality

Uncle Willie - T-Birds A-squad leader with a spring loaded flag pole that shot up in the air for the color pre.

The giant cymbal player in the 70s Rochester Crusaders. I think... brain cells failing... daisy... dai.... sy... I can feel... it... Dave.... anyway, he played the biggest cymbals ever and used to stick them together with suction, throw em up in the air and make the catch. His arms looked like legs. Anyone?....

George Parks

Jim Russo

hmmm all senior guys... DCA has wessonality.

Edited by Eggbert

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sara...you CAN'T post a pic of George without telling the tale behind it....

Yeah, I guess you are right about that...

I'll tell the story later today if I get a chance.

Yeah, I guess you are right about that...

I'll tell the story later today if I get a chance.

So, no mention of Kahlua ha? Not yet anyway!!! b**bs

So, no mention of Kahlua ha?  Not yet anyway!!!  b**bs

All right, all right!!!

For years and years you've all heard about the "Star Mystique" and I think it's time we alumni started breaking the silence about some of it all. Just about stuff that the statute of limitations has run out on at least... LOL.

So here is a little story for you about the very beginning of the Star of Indiana. (RIP also)

There we were, Memorial Day weekend 1985. The Star of Indiana had just had it's first public parade appearance in the Indy 500 Parade. I can't remember if it was our FIRST public appearance or not because there was that time we went across the highway from corps hall to Oliver Winery and that's all a big blur. Another story for another time. (I do recommend their Soft Red!!)

Anyway, a fellow baritone and I had been planning a little wind-down celebration following our first *big* gig to welcome the move-ins to our fine city. We had decided that a keg of Micholob Dark would suit us well after the weekend so the party was planned. Never mind that the corps director had forbidden any parties. This party was going to be off-premise at my place. Never mind that I was only 20 and not able to actually buy the keg myself - that's what 21+ roommates were for! ^0^

So the weekend started and a number of the kids were moving in that weekend. Word started to spread about the "party at Sara's". I had started to develop friendships with the visual staff, most notably the Garrrrrfield boys, John Sanchez and Paul Perniciaro. (Eric Sabach hadn't shown up yet.) Since most people were new to town, Johnny and Paul had me write out directions and a map so they could copy it in the corps office to hand out to people. ^0^ ^0^

There really isn't too much of a story here - we had a great bash - made arrangements for shuttle service to and from corps hall with designated drivers to avoid any tragedies. The highlight of the evening was when George made his appearance. Complete with KAHLAU and CREAM Nancy!! :P

That picture is from my kitchen - George and I sitting at my table, smoking ciggies, having a drink - I like to call it "Cocktails with George". I think the striped sweater to the left is Paul P. George is just holding court and we are all captivated by him and his energy.

We had another party or two before we had to hit the road for first tour. By then the little gatherings with some of the staff had come to the attention of the director and he was not pleased, needlesstosay. Before our very first show in Bloomington-Normal, the director gave us a "pep scream, uh, talk" before the show on the way to the gate. "Just go out there and have a party. Like a party at Sara's!!!" For all the trouble I got into that summer, I would like to think that some of my shenanigins were at least somewhat responsible for us winning horns that first night out (in front of Cavvies and Phantom). But it was most likely that our horn line was on it's way already thanks to a few other drum corps characters like Larry Kirshner, John Simpson and Dave Tippett.

Peace!!

Today, I could honestly and respectfully say the same thing about Mr. Ken Norman.

RON HOUSLEY

Kenny Norman, #### yes!!!!! I used to sit and listen to that man for hours in the place in Newport Beach, on the Balboa Pennisula, in 77. I used to watch in awe as he would do full arangements with just his mouth piece.

But most of all, it was an honor meeting George Zingali.

GOD I LIVE to read stories like Sara's...thank you! I just love that kind of stuff...it's the glue of drum corps, that's what I call it.

Anyway--PERSONALITY in corps? Keith, you didn't really describe what you meant by that term. You mean, "well-known" in the activity that are our favorites, or just "personality" as in those that made the most impact.

I think I can safely say in the areas of both personal impact and well known would be of course Bobby Hoffman, who one day when I was his acting chauffer told me that I was "the best and worst drum major he's ever worked with" and proceeded to tell me what I did wrong, what I could do better, and how I kicked ###. Humbling to say the least...traveling down the 405 freeway in the middle of rainstorm in late 1987 in my VW bus being "talked to".

Another personal impact but maybe not as well known was Greg Clarke. He pulled me out of a comfort zone and made me think about challenging MYSELF--something that at my tender age of 19, I didn't know WHAT the #### it meant. To this day, I can STILL hear "Today is another day!!", and how sick I was of hearing it, and not realizing that I would use the same thing with all the groups I've taught over the years.

Many other "personalities" in the world of corps that are well-known that I think are just great....Charlie Groh, Tom Float, Gail Royer, Tom Peashy, etc, etc...many folks...it's hard to name just a few at the exclusion of others.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner